Preview Round 1 Preview : Hawthorn v Essendon, 7.40pm Sat 20th March, Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hardwick - Hartigan - Impey
Scrimshaw - Frost - Day

Big Boy - Mitchell - Wingard
Phillips - Worpel - Downie

Moore - Lewis - JOM
Breust - Kosi - Brockman

Ceglar - Morrison - Greaves - Shiels

CJ extremely unlucky. Burgoyne and TOB out on performance. Cousins and Ollie unlucky.
Swithc TO'B for someone (not sure whom). He'll 100% play & should.

Please just reward the players deserving of selection through pre season form clarko, take the game on and live with the results. I hope we blood lots of kids this year because they're deserving of selection, I'm not fussed much with ladder position as I see it as a big development season.

* it would be nice to beat these campaignerS though.

Greaves. Hartigan. Hardwick

impey. Frost. Day

Morrison. O’Meara. Phillips

Wingard. Lewis. Moore

Burgoyne. O’Brien. Breust

McEvoy. Worpel. Mitchell

Ceglar. Cousins. Shiels. Brockman.

I’m keeping my powder dry on Kosi, Downey, Ollie and CJ. The first two need a larger body of evidence before being thrust into the limelight. Ollie and CJ still have deficiencies that will be exploited when the real stuff starts. Don’t know where Howe or Nash fit in the scheme of things. Really loving the improvements of Moore and Morrison. And Greaves is a safe pair of hands. Cousins deserves a gig; he’ll never be top liner, but he’s dependable and gives us depth through the middle of the ground.

Downie has a lot to like. He makes kicking long seem effortless. Sweet timer of the ball.
Really like Brockman's composure too. Don't want to compare him to *ahem* anyone.
Unreal how often O'Brien gets both hands to the ball, imagine if he'd marked them all along.
Gotta love Jiath's improvement curve. On that trajectory, he'll be our most important player by about 6 o'clock tomorrow.

Can't ignore Moore's sudden rise either. Where the hell did that come from?
He has suddenly blossomed into a genuine player.
Even Day seems more composed than he was last year. If we get improvement out him we are on a winner.
And then we have DGB in the wings just waiting to pounce. He'll come good. Has all the tools just lacks experience.
Then there's all the players we are missing.
Sicily, Gunston, Bruest, Mitchell. Hell of a gap to fill.

And we have Clarkson and Mitchell guiding them all.
Really excited for the next couple of years.
Even this season to be honest.

Some hope that we will finish mid table, my heart says yes.
Can't help it, every season, this team get itself and its colours
Under my skin and I start the year off with hope springing and flourishing. but
My head says pipedream

Just read the first letter of each line.

Wingard will not play round 1. Scrimshaw and T Mitchell should both be available. Will just depend if the club wants to go with two players that are both coming back from injur and missed the lead up games.
I imagine that Mitchell will come straight in and Scrimshaw will come back via the magoo’s.

Last edited:
I've been doing this rolling round 1 side throughout the pre-season and this will be the final attempt taking a few things into consideration.

Current Axeman reports may suggest that Mitchell looks more likely than Wingard. Also, Scrimshaw can be given an extra period of time to fully recover since his position is also currently looking the easiest to cover.
Lewis has also been omitted due to missing the recent practice game and having an injury without a thorough explanation.
Cousins for similar reasons and because the boys that ran through the midfield in his place yesterday absolutely nailed their opportunity.
So my round 1 side:

B. Hardwick Hartigan CJ
HB: Day McEvoy Impey
C: Morrison Mitchell Phillips
HF: Moore TOB Hanrahan
F: Breust Kosi Brockman
R: Ceglar Worpel O'Meara

IC: Shiels Frost Downie Burgoyne

Emerg: Cousins Howe Greaves Hartley

Changes from previous side.
IN: CJ Brockman Kosi
OUT: Lewis Cousins Greaves

This would be my r1 side i would however start breust in the middle though and have worpel on the bench we need someone who can split packs, break tackles and be evasive and most importantly hit targets up foward and his the guy to do it. I would like him to play 30/70 mid/fwd. I don't think we will rush Scrimshaw and chad for rd1 with their calf issues.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t think they’ll mess with the backline from the pre season, and restricted players should be allowed time to get 100%

Aren’t the bombers one of TOBs bunny sides?

Hardwick, Hartigan, Burgoyne

Impey, Frost, Day

Moore, Worpel, Morrison

Phillips, O'Brien, Hanrahan

Brockman, Koschitzke, Breust

McEvoy, Mitchell, O’meara

Ceglar, Shiels, Jiath, Downie

Lewis: Next in line after O'Brien and Koschitzke
Greaves: Unlucky depending on the form of CJ and few others he's next in line.
Cousins and Howe are quality depth but a fit side I don't think theyre best 22.
Wingard comes in for Hanrahan or Brockman
Gunston will replace Downie or Morrison.

Hardwick, Hartigan, Burgoyne

Impey, Frost, Day

Moore, Worpel, Morrison

Phillips, O'Brien, Hanrahan

Brockman, Koschitzke, Breust

McEvoy, Mitchell, O’meara

Ceglar, Shiels, Jiath, Downie

Lewis: Next in line after O'Brien and Koschitzke
Greaves: Unlucky depending on the form of CJ and few others he's next in line.
Cousins and Howe are quality depth but a fit side I don't think theyre best 22.
Wingard comes in for Hanrahan or Brockman
Gunston will replace Downie or Morrison.
Cousins is best 22 after we saw from him last season. I’d have him ahead of downie or hanrahan in the team at this moment. Do we really need hanrahan in the team if brockman and Moore play ?

Cousins is best 22 after we saw from him last season. I’d have him ahead of downie or hanrahan in the team at this moment. Do we really need hanrahan in the team if brockman and Moore play ?
Moore isn't a small forward, he's a mid that will rest forward.
Howe plays a difference position to both Downie and Hanrahan, Howe and Cousins aren't good enough to push our Mitchell, O'meara, Worpel and Shiels.

Last edited:
Hardwick - Hartigan - Impey
Scrimshaw - Frost - Day

Big Boy - Mitchell - Wingard
Phillips - Worpel - Downie

Moore - Lewis - JOM
Breust - Kosi - Brockman

Ceglar - Morrison - Greaves - Shiels

CJ extremely unlucky. Burgoyne and TOB out on performance. Cousins and Ollie unlucky.
Thought Greaves had a good preseason, but I think CJ gets in ahead of him, was almost BOG on Saturday.

Reckon Burgoyne plays ahead of both. Whatever happens at selection, there’s likely to be 3-4 HFC debutants, so Shaun will play to right the scales of experience.

You could be right about TOB though. Kosi looked pretty comfortable roaming up the wings, applying pressure. Rotating Kosi and Lewis through FF/CHF with Ceglar and McEvoy resting up there too... it has it’s merits. But somehow HFC never seems to throw round 1 curveballs. Kosi or Lewis probably miss, which is a shame. Both have done more than enough to earn their spot.

Greaves. Hartigan. Hardwick

impey. Frost. Day

Morrison. O’Meara. Phillips

Wingard. Lewis. Moore

Burgoyne. O’Brien. Breust

McEvoy. Worpel. Mitchell

Ceglar. Cousins. Shiels. Brockman.

I’m keeping my powder dry on Kosi, Downey, Ollie and CJ. The first two need a larger body of evidence before being thrust into the limelight. Ollie and CJ still have deficiencies that will be exploited when the real stuff starts. Don’t know where Howe or Nash fit in the scheme of things. Really loving the improvements of Moore and Morrison. And Greaves is a safe pair of hands. Cousins deserves a gig; he’ll never be top liner, but he’s dependable and gives us depth through the middle of the ground.
There probably wouldn’t be a more a certain way to kickstart player discontent than to ignore a six goal game from Kosi and drop him to Box Hill.
That sort of thing would get half the blokes who are in the same boat trying to get spots in the side completely offside with the coaches.

There probably wouldn’t be a more a certain way to kickstart player discontent than to ignore a six goal game from Kosi and drop him to Box Hill.
That sort of thing would get half the blokes who are in the same boat trying to get spots in the side completely offside with the coaches.
I’m sure the selection committee will looks at a diverse range of indicators before selecting the team for round 1. Player sentiment won’t be one of the them. In any event you’re making a rash assumption on other players reactions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back