List Mgmt. 2021 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the Pies might have already traded it... let me check

It had a Jeremy Sharp feel about it from memory.

Yes, they traded their 2021 first to GWS for pick #24, #30 and a 4th (Geelong)
I think that will end up being a terrible trade for Collingwood.

Who needs to work on Thursday?... Johnson and Van Rooyen feature in the 2020 Colts GF (as does Western of course).

Who needs to work on Thursday?... Johnson and Van Rooyen feature in the 2020 Colts GF (as does Western of course).

Thanks for ruining my productivity today.

Two things I got from this game:
- Not sure I saw Western hit a target.
- Couple of the Subiaco kid’s look good prospects - Van Ursen? and Erasmus.

Vanirsen. He is available in the mid season draft. Didn’t get taken by anyone in December

Vanirsen played a cracker. He had a great final series. I wasn't expecting him to get drafted but he probably deserved an opportunity on an AFL list. Strong chance he ends up a good WAFL player but if goes ok playing seniors this year who knows?

Erasmus shot up draft boards after that game - 4 goals as a bottom ager in a Colts GF helps. He hasn't kicked many goals other than then so I think we might need to see some more consistency before people get too excited though (Butters kicked 4 goals in the 2019 GF). He's been playing Reserves so far this year so will be good to see how he goes. I rate him, just want to see his best more often.

Yeah not Western's best game. Although in his defence Subiaco were all over Claremont so there wasn't a lot of space to work in. He was arguably BOG in the 2019 Colts GF as a bottom ager. It kind of helped our cause in the end that he and Claremont didn't play their best. I've seen a heap of his games so not worried. He is a cracking kid and will be working tirelessly on whatever he needs to. His potential is high, his speed is outer worldly.

Vanirsen played a cracker. He had a great final series. I wasn't expecting him to get drafted but he probably deserved an opportunity on an AFL list. Strong chance he ends up a good WAFL player but if goes ok playing seniors this year who knows?

Erasmus shot up draft boards after that game - 4 goals as a bottom ager in a Colts GF helps. He hasn't kicked many goals other than then so I think we might need to see some more consistency before people get too excited though (Butters kicked 4 goals in the 2019 GF). He's been playing Reserves so far this year so will be good to see how he goes. I rate him, just want to see his best more often.

Yeah not Western's best game. Although in his defence Subiaco were all over Claremont so there wasn't a lot of space to work in. He was arguably BOG in the 2019 Colts GF as a bottom ager. It kind of helped our cause in the end that he and Claremont didn't play their best. I've seen a heap of his games so not worried. He is a cracking kid and will be working tirelessly on whatever he needs to. His potential is high, his speed is outer worldly.

Could he play as a HFF to begin with I wonder? Just think that speed and explosiveness would be so valuable when we get opposition turnovers and hit the other team on a quick counter attack, if we can get the ball in this lads hands from midfield onwards with open spaces in front of him due to the opposition defence being on the back foot he could be deadly. So much more exciting that the likes of Colyer or Banfield in that situation.
Probably be kept in the WAFL for most of this season to learn how to be “defensively accountable” though 😟

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hadnt see that video thanks, there really is so much Shai Bolton about him its not funny. I'd love to get a genuine understanding from the club about what their plans for him were, doesnt seem to have been talked about much this pre-season and given our forward injuries, it seems he is a long way back at the moment. That's understandable as a small, very skinny flanker but like you, I rate him so high and just want to watch the kid play

Could he play as a HFF to begin with I wonder? Just think that speed and explosiveness would be so valuable when we get opposition turnovers and hit the other team on a quick counter attack, if we can get the ball in this lads hands from midfield onwards with open spaces in front of him due to the opposition defence being on the back foot he could be deadly. So much more exciting that the likes of Colyer or Banfield in that situation.
Probably be kept in the WAFL for most of this season to learn how to be “defensively accountable” though 😟
The (valid) reason they aren't throwing Western in AFL yet is because he hasn't played senior footy. He was supposed to last year but got injured the week before his senior debut from memory. They'll definitely start him in the forward line at Freo imo. We need to be a little patient but I'm excited at the prospect of Freddy, Western and Henry all playing in the same team eventually (alongside Sturt). I'd back all of them in for AFL careers because they have the raw attributes and they have their heads screwed on properly. We saw with Freddy it takes a bit of time to get used to the pressure of AFL but I'd back all three to get there in time. None of them are deep small forwards though so I'm now crossing my fingers on Motlop and Pickett (and Bartlett as a medium fwd/mid) from our NGA this year because if they continue from last year and get drafted by us then they'll compliment our list perfectly. Get some young talls coming through as well and the future of our forward line starts looking exciting rather than the mix mash of bandaids we've seen in recent years. A reminder of what Henry brings to finish with (just needs to get back to doing the basics well first and it will all come together for him):

The (valid) reason they aren't throwing Western in AFL yet is because he hasn't played senior footy. He was supposed to last year but got injured the week before his senior debut from memory. They'll definitely start him in the forward line at Freo imo. We need to be a little patient but I'm excited at the prospect of Freddy, Western and Henry all playing in the same team eventually (alongside Sturt). I'd back all of them in for AFL careers because they have the raw attributes and they have their heads screwed on properly. We saw with Freddy it takes a bit of time to get used to the pressure of AFL but I'd back all three to get there in time. None of them are deep small forwards though so I'm now crossing my fingers on Motlop and Pickett (and Bartlett as a medium fwd/mid) from our NGA this year because if they continue from last year and get drafted by us then they'll compliment our list perfectly. Get some young talls coming through as well and the future of our forward line starts looking exciting rather than the mix mash of bandaids we've seen in recent years. A reminder of what Henry brings to finish with (just needs to get back to doing the basics well first and it will all come together for him):

I think Henry has great potential. But right now he’s quite a way off the level required. Doesn’t mean we shouldn’t be playing him and putting g games into him but I’m not expecting miracles this year from him. He’s still way too light and slight for AFL in my opinion. I don’t think he’s lazy like some people were saying yesterday but he’s clearly an outside player who is best suited to be away from the hard inside exchanges. Watching him in person last weekend it was obvious he didnt fancy the physical stuff as much as most of the others in the side. You can still carry a guy like that if he’s seriously damaging when he gets the ball in space and hurts the opposition. Plenty teams do - Brad Hill for example was never renowned for his bustling physicality.
Walters plays a lot more inside than I think Liam will end up playing so I’m not sure the comparison between those 2 is valid actually.
It likely that we will need to wait until Liam is 22 or 23 and has 60 games or so in him before he becomes a seriously damaging AFL player.

Something more to look "forward" to with Jesse Motlop:

Here's a flashback to Jermaine Pickett when he was 13yo. These days he's playing forward and apparently he's 189cm (did not realise he was that tall now). Been described as the next Liam Ryan - so low bar to live up to :moustache:

There isn't much online about Richard Bartlett yet. Another very talented footy player though - looked amazing at u16s. Didn't get to show his talent much last year but will not be surprised to see him impressing this year for East Freo. I'm still not quite sure how he ended up in our NGA? Think he had a scholarship from Josh Kennedy a few years back so WC must be a bit annoyed - ha ha :D

Something more to look "forward" to with Jesse Motlop:

Here's a flashback to Jermaine Pickett when he was 13yo. These days he's playing forward and apparently he's 189cm (did not realise he was that tall now). Been described as the next Liam Ryan - so low bar to live up to :moustache:

There isn't much online about Richard Bartlett yet. Another very talented footy player though - looked amazing at u16s. Didn't get to show his talent much last year but will not be surprised to see him impressing this year for East Freo. I'm still not quite sure how he ended up in our NGA? Think he had a scholarship from Josh Kennedy a few years back so WC must be a bit annoyed - ha ha :D

Don't want Motlop. He burnt that guy in the square for the first goal. That could be Mitch.

Don't want Motlop. He burnt that guy in the square for the first goal. That could be Mitch.
Nah he clearly saw it wasn't "Mitch", it was "that guy" on the team that would find a way to screw it up on the goal line, so instead took responsibility himself.

looks lazy

Quite a few academy prospects playing in the pre-season WAFL this weekend.

Eric Benning from our academy this year, was named as one of the bests for Claremont last week and keeps his spot. Hopefully the West live stream Colts matches again this year because he's one I really want to get a look at.

Motlop back for South Fremantle and Bartlett back for the first time this year with East Fremantle. Norman Yarran (2022), Jermaine Pickett (Who we sadly don't have priority access too, but is one we'll follow throughout the year either way), Chase Bourne (2022), Riley Colborne, Christian Wilson (2022) and Tyler Piazolla all lining up in the same match.

Others playing are Scaife (2022, WP), Taylor (2022, WP) and Kendyll Blurton (2021, Claremont, no priority access)

Interestingly, Jaren Carr is playing for the South Fremantle futures side as an over-ager

Quite a few academy prospects playing in the pre-season WAFL this weekend.

Eric Benning from our academy this year, was named as one of the bests for Claremont last week and keeps his spot. Hopefully the West live stream Colts matches again this year because he's one I really want to get a look at.

Motlop back for South Fremantle and Bartlett back for the first time this year with East Fremantle. Norman Yarran (2022), Jermaine Pickett (Who we sadly don't have priority access too, but is one we'll follow throughout the year either way), Chase Bourne (2022), Riley Colborne, Christian Wilson (2022) and Tyler Piazolla all lining up in the same match.

Others playing are Scaife (2022, WP), Taylor (2022, WP) and Kendyll Blurton (2021, Claremont, no priority access)

Interestingly, Jaren Carr is playing for the South Fremantle futures side as an over-ager
So we don't have access to Jermaine Pickett? Is he in our NGA but no priority access? Damn it. I thought he was out, then in, and now out again :(

Im keen to see Eric Benning as well. He's apparently 198cm+ now. Do you know anything about Tristian Jacques?

So we don't have access to Jermaine Pickett? Is he in our NGA but no priority access? Damn it. I thought he was out, then in, and now out again :(

Im keen to see Eric Benning as well. He's apparently 198cm+ now. Do you know anything about Tristian Jacques?
Yeah in the article the AFL released of all the NGA eligible players Pickett was not included, which sucks because he fits our needs.

Jacques is an interesting one, he's been talked up a lot by EF people, and he even got a colts berth as a 16 year old but he hasn't played any official WAFL matches since. Hasn't been spotted in the practice matches yet either, hopefully he gets a call up, seems to be talented.

Yeah in the article the AFL released of all the NGA eligible players Pickett was not included, which sucks because he fits our needs.
Belly needs to get on to it. We've had some unexpected wins lately with Bowers free to play and Treacy allowed to debut in Rd 3. Strike while the iron is hot. Pickett to be priority access and Bazzo as a father-son :) I'll pluck a peacock (if that's legal - highly doubt it is) for Bell's hat if he gets that sorted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back