Preview Geelong vs Hawthorn, Easter Monday 5th April, 3:20pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. Give him a go and see what happens.

If I remember correctly we gave up a decent pick to take him as a mature ager. Some sort of arrangement the afl had with, was it the suns?, where they got to pick several mature age players, which we traded for?

Traded pick 43 to Carlton in exchange for him prior to the draft

Confirmation from Scarlett back in January that Kreuger is now a member of the misfits:

GEELONG key position swingman and exciting young prospect Nathan Kreuger looks set to land in defence for the 2021 AFL season.

“It looks like he might settle down in the backline group this year and really try and develop him as a young key defender,” Scarlett says.

“He’s been really impressive his last few weeks back there. He spent a bit of time there last year as well as swinging into the front half so we’re going to try and settle him down, that’s the plan.

Kreuger has battled injury in his first two seasons at the club, returning home early from the Cats' Gold Coast hub in 2020 after developing knee soreness.

Geelong will be hoping he can get his body right and channel the raw athleticism that makes him one of the most tantalising prospects at the club.

“He’s a really fast runner and can jump and take speccies so I’m going to have to try to advise him when to go for those big hangers and when to spoil, but he’s got some really good attributes,” Scarlett says.

“It’s always good to have a little bit of aggression as a defender but you’ve got to do it in a smart way, which I couldn’t figure out even up until my last year.

“He’s a really exciting prospect and he’s really keen to learn and like all the other guys he’s come back in really good shape, so he’s given himself a chance.”

Not sure Scarlett is going to give up a young member of the misfits to join the wolfpack this early in the season - maybe he'll be given a crack later in the year at senior level as a defender, thinking it's highly doubtful he'll be debuting up forward this week

I was thinking it was a deal with carlton, but I couldn't figure out how they had access to him prior to the draft. Anyone remember how this worked?

Pick was a bit later than I remembered. I thought it was like pick 30.

It came from Carlton & GC both being rather s**t in not just 2018 but prior to that also, and rather than just giving a standard priority pick so they could access another 18 year old kid who would still require development & time to come on, the AFL kinda changed things up that year and gave both clubs early access to mature age picks - so guys who had been play state level football (VFL, SANFL, WAFL etc) as an idea that they would be more ready to step up to the rigours of AFL. Pretty sure the players had to have nominated for the draft, and essentially they were just skipping the draft to be added straight to a senior list

I think the deal was that they could keep the players, or they could utilise them as trade options during the trade period and get draft pick/s from another club

So rather than waiting for the draft to get Kreuger, we did a deal with Carlton where we said we were interested and traded for him that way

IMV he needs to hope we use De Koning purely for ruck development and not key back as I think his days are numbered otherwise.
Excluding Henderson due to age - Blicavs, Henry, Kolodjashnij, Bews, Clark, O'Connor, Stewart are all comfortably ahead of him in defence.
My issue is that these guys can't defend a decent key sized tall 1-1. We have always made up for this issue by slowing ball movement and dropping extra guys back in their flight path.

We will be at a big disadvantage against sides with two decent KPFs and absolutely shredded against a side like West coast with three. SDK can play kpd and come on strongly next year and we're still 1kpd short then

Sydney had an option to do exactly what teams like Geelong have done, recruit a batch of older mature players from other clubs in an attempt to remain competitive and in the mix.

Since 2016, they have played 33 debutants. Only 9 of those were from other clubs. To think they had no choice to revamp their list during trade period is not unusual from your line of thinking.
You take the academy kids away from Sydney they'd be in North Melbourne's position right now. No question

In answer to your question Art Vandelay_ I think Krueger should be given a shot because -

1. With all of Cameron, Rohan and Esava out there is an opening

2. The other possible options such as Jenkins and Jarvis aren’t exactly Royce Hart reincarnated.

3. He’s physically mature.

4. He’s been on our list for a few years and should be given an opportunity I think to at least see if he can bring his game to that level

5. We aren’t playing a top 8 team so blooding a kid now is a great opportunity particularly on the MCG.

6. He strikes me as the type that will give it a red hot crack.

7. Yes, he’s been played back recently but he was brought in as a forward. His experience down back may actually help his forward pressure.

8. Why not?
Agree with all this

I’d add he also plays hard at the ball. He puts his over it and runs straight lines to it. He has good skills below his knees for a tall bloke and is a very nice left foot kick.
Give him a crack. And a few games not just one.

And ffs.. is Zuthrie can get 20 odd games with 3 touches .. why can’t Freddie get a ping at it.

Go Catters

I agree. Give him a go and see what happens.

If I remember correctly we gave up a decent pick to take him as a mature ager. Some sort of arrangement the afl had with, was it the suns?, where they got to pick several mature age players, which we traded for?
Traded pick 43 to the blues to get their rights to draft a mature age player and we took Freddy.

Go Catters

Agree with all this

I’d add he also plays hard at the ball. He puts his over it and runs straight lines to it. He has good skills below his knees for a tall bloke and is a very nice left foot kick.

And ffs.. is Zuthrie can get 20 odd games with 3 touches .. why can’t Freddie get a ping at it.

Go Catters
Maybe O'Connor getting more midfield time might open up a spot as well as allowing us to manage Selwood.Dangerfield and Higgins.

I know in all likelihood he won't be picked but I'd give him a crack. Sometimes you see a kid, who when given the opportunity, rises to the level. Playing amongst better players elevates his own game. I'd see if this happens with Kreuger. His presence in the side shouldn't be the difference between us winning or losing so why not roll the dice? Don't die wondering
you don’t see this as being in stark contrast with what most on here moan about with the MC? Selection integrity.

Or is it only fair game to complain about Atkins, Dahlhaus, Kolo, Sav, Tuohy, Zuthrie etc in recent seasons for being picked with questionable form and not applicable when picking a replacement with scarcely any form to speak of??
Agree with all this

Go Catters
Hardly the point being made.

Pinpointed alongside Simpson as an example of guys who work hard in the vfl program, put games together, build form and then get recalled. I guess it’s the cool thing to do here to rag on Zac because he doesn’t take advantage of his opportunities.

The point was that he atleast earns his AFL opportunities. Can’t say Kreuger has come close to earning a game.

To me it reeks of wanting youth in for the sake of it, this fanciful notion that we need youth NOW or we are ****ed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It came from Carlton & GC both being rather sh*t in not just 2018 but prior to that also, and rather than just giving a standard priority pick so they could access another 18 year old kid who would still require development & time to come on, the AFL kinda changed things up that year and gave both clubs early access to mature age picks - so guys who had been play state level football (VFL, SANFL, WAFL etc) as an idea that they would be more ready to step up to the rigours of AFL. Pretty sure the players had to have nominated for the draft, and essentially they were just skipping the draft to be added straight to a senior list

I think the deal was that they could keep the players, or they could utilise them as trade options during the trade period and get draft pick/s from another club

So rather than waiting for the draft to get Kreuger, we did a deal with Carlton where we said we were interested and traded for him that way
Thanks for that. I remember the suns getting those mature age picks, just couldn't recall carlton getting them as well.

you don’t see this as being in stark contrast with what most on here moan about with the MC? Selection integrity.

Or is it only fair game to complain about Atkins, Dahlhaus, Kolo, Sav, Tuohy, Zuthrie etc in recent seasons for being picked with questionable form and not applicable when picking a replacement with scarcely any form to speak of??
Hardly the point being made.

I think the gripe that posters have about the aformentioned players is their form at AFL level, not that their VFL form doesn't warrant selection. Kreuger on the other hand has not been afforded the same opportunity. In fact he's never had an opportunity. I'm not saying he's going to be a star, or he's definitely going to play well. But I think he should at least be given a crack. So I don't think it's contradictory at all to any "selection integrity" that may or may not exist.

I think the gripe that posters have about the aformentioned players is their form at AFL level, not that their VFL form doesn't warrant selection. Kreuger on the other hand has not been afforded the same opportunity. In fact he's never had an opportunity. I'm not saying he's going to be a star, or he's definitely going to play well. But I think he should at least be given a crack. So I don't think it's contradictory at all to any "selection integrity" that may or may not exist.
So you don’t think the two are intrinsically linked?

That is; integrity of continued AFL selection should be met with integrity of whom replaces them. I’d be filthy if I were dropped for someone who wasn’t banging the door down

So you don’t think the two are intrinsically linked?

That is; integrity of continued AFL selection should be met with integrity of whom replaces them. I’d be filthy if I were dropped for someone who wasn’t banging the door down

I'm really not sure what the term means? Every year players are given games for a whole variety of reasons. Most of course are included due to their ability and their form warranting it. But others are given games to fill a positional need, or to accelerate their development, or to see whether they can cut it at senior level etc. I would argue that Kreuger meets at least those last two criteria and maybe all of the last three.

I'd hardly say btw that Z.Guthrie was ever "banging the door down". His form was solid at VFL level. He has never been a star in any way, shape or form.

It's not a question of youth for youth's sake: it's matter of trying to find players who can take us all the way.

We've been trying to win the flag for years with a very stable group of players. We haven't succeeded. Meanwhile they're all getting older. Our next premiership team is not going to be the same as the one were used to seeing. Yes we have several picks in next year's draft but they won't be winning finals for us for some time.

Accordingly we need to be looking at Krueger, Holmes, Stephens when available, Sam DK, Jarvis again, sooner rather than later. And the players who are omitted will just have to deal with it, as Ripley said to Hudson in Aliens.

Those who think Max Holmes is too small to debut need to think again. I stood beside him this morning and had a chat, he’s a big boy, tall, broad shoulders, and he is in excellent form. I’m not a little bloke but still looked up to Max.
Did he seem confident for a young guy?

I'm really not sure what the term means? Every year players are given games for a whole variety of reasons. Most of course are included due to their ability and their form warranting it. But others are given games to fill a positional need, or to accelerate their development, or to see whether they can cut it at senior level etc. I would argue that Kreuger meets at least those last two criteria and maybe all of the last three.

I'd hardly say btw that Z.Guthrie was ever "banging the door down". His form was solid at VFL level. He has never been a star in any way, shape or form.
Largely missing the point with Guthrie. He is merely an example.

As for the first part. Fine by me. Holmes then. Has some semblance of form behind him

Really starting to dislike Brisbane, Chris Fagan and Lachie Neale...what sooks:

"Fagan said Brownlow medalist Lachie Neale would be "fine" to play the Magpies despite being on light duties for much of the week.

He said there had been no discussion with the AFL about Geelong tagger Mark O'Connor's tactics of keeping Neale quiet, but Fagan clearly expected more vigilance come game-day.

"It's not a problem with them being tagged, just make sure the tactics are legal," Fagan said.

"I think there were times when Lachie was blocked well and truly away from the contest – I think the rules say (the ball must be within) 5m."

Sydney had an option to do exactly what teams like Geelong have done, recruit a batch of older mature players from other clubs in an attempt to remain competitive and in the mix.

Since 2016, they have played 33 debutants. Only 9 of those were from other clubs. To think they had no choice to revamp their list during trade period is not unusual from your line of thinking.
You talk as if being a top four team is a matter of pressing a red button and trading in a few mature players and your a top four team, as if being a top four side is a “choice” which is just stupidity. Please elaborate who these sides supposedly are who choose to remain top sides and who choose to be bottom sides??

sydney dropped down the ladder through decline, and would be as big a basket case as north if it wasn’t for the gifted academy kids and father sons. Hardly anything special

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back