Welcome Michael Voss - The Real Boss!

Remove this Banner Ad

Best of luck to Vossy and your club. Really talented list and I hope Voss finds success.

Have to remember he made finals as a rookie coach and mainly got sacked because our incompetent board at the time thought they could get Paul Roos. Sure his trades in 2010 didn't work out (Mainly Fev) but at least he showed ambition to win by trying something.

Best of luck to the Blues & Vossy.
Why do people say 'his trades' and 'crazy Vossy trades'?
What involvement did he actually have in the trades? Did you not have a list manager and recruiting team back then? Did he overrule them? Who allowed him to overrule them?
I've just seen plenty of it in the last couple of days and didn't really follow it all that closely at the time.

I'm going to start by saying I am underwhelmed by Voss as our coach and have said it in many posts here of late. But, now that he's been appointed I will support him as much as I've supported all of our coaches, I have never called for a coach to be sacked and will not start in the next few years.

I have my own reasons for not wanting him and not going to go back over them, that's past history and time for me to let go and, as I said, support him to the hilt.

But for you to question the intelligence of posters who voice their concerns is laughable.

There are very few on here that envisaged Voss getting this job and even fewer who said they wanted him.

What about the intelligence of those that think that he will be successful purely because he followed us as a kid or because he was a great footballer with a bit of mongrel?

Large majority think he will be successful as he participated in a proper process and came out the winner in the end. Cook, Diesel and Sayers all give him the thumbs up so that's good enough for me.

Liam Stocker straight to the leadership group. Calling it now.

We have a new boss, it's not Ross and not SOS. I think there will be some new training drills, like playing some la crosse to tunes from Barnesey and Ian Moss. Its gonna be interesting after our first loss for amongst his supporters he will lose a little of his gloss and among his detractors, next to his name will be another cross. Im sure there are some vultures cleaning their teeth with some floss, getting ready for us to give him the toss. One bit of advice, as the journos start with the goss, he should stay true to himself and remember that Z is for a stripy oss. Good luck Mr Voss!

We have a new boss, it's not Ross and not SOS. I think there will be some new training drills, like playing some la crosse to tunes from Barnesey and Ian Moss. Its gonna be interesting after our first loss for amongst his supporters he will lose a little of his gloss and among his detractors, next to his name will be another cross. Im sure there are some vultures cleaning their teeth with some floss, getting ready for us to give him the toss. One bit of advice, as the journos start with the goss, he should stay true to himself and remember that Z is for a stripy oss. Good luck Mr Voss!

Noss poem!

Andy Maher interviewing Vossy right now on SEN

That was a great interview. Enjoyed everything he had to say but particularly that he won't be going over the 19 goal run on he experienced against us. All about creating and moving forward...brand, culture, how to convey coaching messages to players to learn quickly. Will seek out SPS also for a chat 👍

Did he say that?
Already in better mood if he onto that early.

Yes, said will remain in Melbourne indefinitely as not rushing home to quarantine for 2 weeks. Said he'd seek out SPS to go through his motivations for a move and have a chat with him. Also any players who potentially we are in the market for to recruit but didn't name names there. Was very happy with the SPS comment, hitting the ground running.

Should be up on the Club's website later this afternoon.

That is the only quote I have seen of Vossy. I am liking him more and more.

His Brisbane coaching days was an eternity ago. He has put in the years as an assistant and that will hold him in good stead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is the only quote I have seen of Vossy. I am liking him more and more.

His Brisbane coaching days was an eternity ago. He has put in the years as an assistant and that will hold him in good stead.
Plus there are enough arguments out there that put his Brisbane coaching days as perhaps not as bad as the popular opinion says they were. Enough for me to be full of hope and confidence. Why shouldn't we be!? Sayers hitthe ground running and hard, Cooks is a gun, we know the list is in a good, if a liiiiittle precarious, position.

On to the assistants. Get even just one or two guns there an I'm very confident come next season.

Voss speaks with conviction and an element of meaning behind his words - it's someone who understands how high-performing environments work.

He spoke about the attributes and elements to play finals.

Sub-text on what Carlton needs to work on is that our players won't get away with half-assed efforts.

Already got me excited for the gameplan and systems.

I don't think he's there to be their mate, but also understands the connection he needs to make with the players.

Plus there are enough arguments out there that put his Brisbane coaching days as perhaps not as bad as the popular opinion says they were. Enough for me to be full of hope and confidence. Why shouldn't we be!? Sayers hitthe ground running and hard, Cooks is a gun, we know the list is in a good, if a liiiiittle precarious, position.

On to the assistants. Get even just one or two guns there an I'm very confident come next season.

The more I think about it and read about Voss, I like that the club has gone this direction over Lyon. Get a big pre-season in with the right coaching personnel and give ourselves the best chance to play finals in 2022. That should be the aim.

Yes, said will remain in Melbourne indefinitely as not rushing home to quarantine for 2 weeks. Said he'd seek out SPS to go through his motivations for a move and have a chat with him. Also any players who potentially we are in the market for to recruit but didn't name names there. Was very happy with the SPS comment, hitting the ground running.
Ok, that makes me very happy to hear.
Really do not want to lose Samo and Vossy will figure out if he can be turned around.
Makes it even better this was announced today as gives Voss time to work on changing Samo's mind in time before trade period.

I'm going to start by saying I am underwhelmed by Voss as our coach and have said it in many posts here of late. But, now that he's been appointed I will support him as much as I've supported all of our coaches, I have never called for a coach to be sacked and will not start in the next few years.

I have my own reasons for not wanting him and not going to go back over them, that's past history and time for me to let go and, as I said, support him to the hilt.

But for you to question the intelligence of posters who voice their concerns is laughable.

There are very few on here that envisaged Voss getting this job and even fewer who said they wanted him.

What about the intelligence of those that think that he will be successful purely because he followed us as a kid or because he was a great footballer with a bit of mongrel?

In retrospect I should have been more defined in my comments regarding intelligence & not painted such a broad picture.

What I struggle with is those posters who can't get past the fact that his first tenure as a head coach is a level he won't be able to rise above. The guy was 34 & thrown in the deep end.

He has served a decent apprenticeship & I would hope the last 10 years have helped mold him into a person more capable of taking on a head coaching role.

Why do people say 'his trades' and 'crazy Vossy trades'?
What involvement did he actually have in the trades? Did you not have a list manager and recruiting team back then? Did he overrule them? Who allowed him to overrule them?
I've just seen plenty of it in the last couple of days and didn't really follow it all that closely at the time.
Voss was a big part of it, not to say we didn't have a list manager but he was very much a spearhead of trying to get the most out of our aging premiership stars (Black/Brown/Power) by surrounding them with players of similar experience/age. We had just played finals in 2009 and he wanted to go one step further. Didn't come off but you want your club/leaders to be ambitious and not settle.

But that is the past and obviously Voss would have learned from that experience, it's not going to be an issue for the Blues at all.

Voss was a big part of it, not to say we didn't have a list manager but he was very much a spearhead of trying to get the most out of our aging premiership stars (Black/Brown/Power) by surrounding them with players of similar experience/age. We had just played finals in 2009 and he wanted to go one step further. Didn't come off but you want your club/leaders to be ambitious and not settle.

But that is the past and obviously Voss would have learned from that experience, it's not going to be an issue for the Blues at all.
I think it would've been very very difficult for Voss in the position he was in, with the Lions recent history, for him to say 'lets face it, we have to do a bit of a rebuild here now.'

Can't imagine the board and such would've been too happy with that.

Voss very nearly made finals in 2013 his last year as coach. Was robbed by the Cats in the final round to lose by a point only for Carlton to steal the spot by beating Port in a massive come from behind upset to jump Lions, North and Adelaide who were all on 10 wins. Was then sacked
FWIW he was sacked with 3 games to go, as the board (s**t board) thought they would miss out on Paul Roos and feared a player exodus (Which happened anyway).

We won our next 2 games and had the do-or-die clash against the Cats, where of course, as you said, we got absolutely robbed and Chapman's HTB was the worst non-decision I'd ever seen up until the non-decision in Round 2 this year, against the Cats.

So technically Voss started a mini-rebuild in 2011 and by the end of 2013, we almost made finals. Not bad for a bloke who got sacked (s**t board).

Liam Stocker straight to the leadership group. Calling it now.
Liam has been streaming some of his gaming recently via Twitch where he answered some viewer questions. A few interesting ones I can remember off the top of my head.
1. He cut his hair short because he had a couple of bad games, as he's superstitious. He is currently growing his hair long again.
2. Hardest opposition he's played on - while Charlie Cameron was very good, he listed Tom Papley and Liam Ryan as the hardest.
3. Favourite teammate to play with: Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

Back