Welcome Michael Voss - The Real Boss!

Remove this Banner Ad

I love the Voss story, his journey.

Being in Queensland during the Lions dynasty and, unlike now, having real life limit my footy viewing, I saw heaps of Michael Voss. He and the Lions was largely all the footy content we had in regional QLD. Hardly saw any vision of my beloved Blues during the commencement of our darkest period.

Vossy was a machine, and has too often been overlooked when discussions of the all time greats emanate from the Victoriacentric footy public, and even “learned” “experts”.

His coaching journey is also fascinating. He was set up to fail, taking the gig without a grounding in the coaching sphere. He was still a “kid” emotionally and not ready to seperate and prioritise vital elements of being a coach both tactically and as a Moulder of young men. His sacking from Brisbane was a really strange and contentious one. He had clear views of what was needed to win flags and went the quick fix rather than do the developmental hard yards. The thing was that his last couple of months at the helm were impressive. He made big inroads, and had the club performing at least to the levels expected of an inexperienced, rebuilding list. Likely moving on enabled him to learn the required lessons, but it consigned him to an assistants role for muck longer than should have been necessary.

He is still that blunt weapon first and foremost, and his tactical outlook is a little narrow. His personal development and man management skills have clearly reached absolute elite levels. I am a great one for asserting that leadership is far more an innate, instinctual thing. Absolutely those skills and instincts can be improved through study and more particularly exposure to life, the school of hard knocks. Vossy was more than ready and we are reaping the benefits.

I remain a little doubtful of his ability to vary from his/our one wood. No argument that the game starts and arguably finishes with contest, but there are skills, structure, focus and commitment elements that are necessary. The scope to change things up on occasion, I fear may still be lacking.

I readily admit to being one who RELUCTANTLY suggested the apparent disconnect which was producing consistent sub-standard on field performances early in 2023 were the responsibility of the head coach. Accordingly his tenure had to be questioned at the time.

None of us will ever know where the fault was at the time coaches, players or a little of both? Looked a clear case of analysis paralysis to me, too many thought processes and expectations counter productive to each other. A lack of dare, a fear of failure they are my observations, but in no way will I stringently argue the point.

Whether the catalyst was players or coaches, the year turned around, spectacularly. Vossy and his coaching group do have the recipe, clearly players are being upskilled and our fitness and soundness are greatly improved. The club is working as one.

I look at our list with some trepidation. We have TOO much talent and the fight for positions is brutal. Coach preference is going to leave some very deserving players languishing in the twos. The upside is that there is monumental competition for all but a couple of positions. Everyone will be immune from complacency. Likely there will be greater competition internally than we will encounter in some games. Not trying to be arrogant, but other than the obvious interstate away threats of Brisbane and the Giants and perhaps a couple of Melbourne powerhouses, if they are “up”,we shouldn’t lose a game, to coin a phrase.

Voss has “weaknesses”, as does every individual on the planet, but they are dramatically outweighed by strengths and a growing realisation of the need to take steps to counteract those weaknesses from within.

Long May Voss be the Boss.

I love the Voss story, his journey.

Being in Queensland during the Lions dynasty and, unlike now, having real life limit my footy viewing, I saw heaps of Michael Voss. He and the Lions was largely all the footy content we had in regional QLD. Hardly saw any vision of my beloved Blues during the commencement of our darkest period.

Vossy was a machine, and has too often been overlooked when discussions of the all time greats emanate from the Victoriacentric footy public, and even “learned” “experts”.

His coaching journey is also fascinating. He was set up to fail, taking the gig without a grounding in the coaching sphere. He was still a “kid” emotionally and not ready to seperate and prioritise vital elements of being a coach both tactically and as a Moulder of young men. His sacking from Brisbane was a really strange and contentious one. He had clear views of what was needed to win flags and went the quick fix rather than do the developmental hard yards. The thing was that his last couple of months at the helm were impressive. He made big inroads, and had the club performing at least to the levels expected of an inexperienced, rebuilding list. Likely moving on enabled him to learn the required lessons, but it consigned him to an assistants role for muck longer than should have been necessary.

He is still that blunt weapon first and foremost, and his tactical outlook is a little narrow. His personal development and man management skills have clearly reached absolute elite levels. I am a great one for asserting that leadership is far more an innate, instinctual thing. Absolutely those skills and instincts can be improved through study and more particularly exposure to life, the school of hard knocks. Vossy was more than ready and we are reaping the benefits.

I remain a little doubtful of his ability to vary from his/our one wood. No argument that the game starts and arguably finishes with contest, but there are skills, structure, focus and commitment elements that are necessary. The scope to change things up on occasion, I fear may still be lacking.

I readily admit to being one who RELUCTANTLY suggested the apparent disconnect which was producing consistent sub-standard on field performances early in 2023 were the responsibility of the head coach. Accordingly his tenure had to be questioned at the time.

None of us will ever know where the fault was at the time coaches, players or a little of both? Looked a clear case of analysis paralysis to me, too many thought processes and expectations counter productive to each other. A lack of dare, a fear of failure they are my observations, but in no way will I stringently argue the point.

Whether the catalyst was players or coaches, the year turned around, spectacularly. Vossy and his coaching group do have the recipe, clearly players are being upskilled and our fitness and soundness are greatly improved. The club is working as one.

I look at our list with some trepidation. We have TOO much talent and the fight for positions is brutal. Coach preference is going to leave some very deserving players languishing in the twos. The upside is that there is monumental competition for all but a couple of positions. Everyone will be immune from complacency. Likely there will be greater competition internally than we will encounter in some games. Not trying to be arrogant, but other than the obvious interstate away threats of Brisbane and the Giants and perhaps a couple of Melbourne powerhouses, if they are “up”,we shouldn’t lose a game, to coin a phrase.

Voss has “weaknesses”, as does every individual on the planet, but they are dramatically outweighed by strengths and a growing realisation of the need to take steps to counteract those weaknesses from within.

Long May Voss be the Boss.

Good assessment.

The change mid season as I see it wasn’t tactical changes so much as intent, do the basics or die trying, play for each other. These things can be mentioned/talked about at length but not “sink in” until delivered.

It became a reinforced reality as belief grew individually and within the team. Winning breeds trust and the confidence to play with more dare creating positive feedback loops.

Vossy should be commended for stoking the fire and building team spirit even when the team were playing poorly. Real leadership in my book.

As for weaknesses, hopefully the club/himself recognises these and can place others in the gaps.

Belief will get them to the top because the talent, teamwork, support and system are already evident.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Good assessment.

The change mid season as I see it wasn’t tactical changes so much as intent, do the basics or die trying, play for each other. These things can be mentioned/talked about at length but not “sink in” until delivered.

It became a reinforced reality as belief grew individually and within the team. Winning breeds trust and the confidence to play with more dare creating positive feedback loops.

Vossy should be commended for stoking the fire and building team spirit even when the team were playing poorly. Real leadership in my book.

As for weaknesses, hopefully the club/himself recognises these and can place others in the gaps.

Belief will get them to the top because the talent, teamwork, support and system are already evident.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Great post…
Kudos to Vossy, but i think the rest of our entire coaching group should be commended for all their roles as well…
Great Team effort…
Development…

Great post…
Kudos to Vossy, but i think the rest of our entire coaching group should be commended for all their roles as well…
Great Team effort…
Development…
Still think we should have picked Ross The Boss. :D Only gagging. Vossy was not my preference but from the moment he was appointed and listening to his first interview, I was impressed. Seems to have a great balance of humility and self assuredness. Hopefully most of our players have attained the same balance. Our coach and captain come across as good humans. We're in good hands and we won't die wondering whether we've given our best.

Still think we should have picked Ross The Boss. :D Only gagging. Vossy was not my preference but from the moment he was appointed and listening to his first interview, I was impressed. Seems to have a great balance of humility and self assuredness. Hopefully most of our players have attained the same balance. Our coach and captain come across as good humans. We're in good hands and we won't die wondering whether we've given our best.
And he didn’t panic or hide behind cliches when we were struggling. Just a gun!

One word I am glad Voss stopped using, nourishment
agree, he needs to start speaking in a way that gives us all the impression he is 100% on top of his craft...........

You can say what you want about the 'Crazy Vossy' days in charge of Brisbane, but I have never questioned his humility and what he did when confronted with Fev revealing his gambling addiction and all the trouble that came with it.

He was the first to Identify the need and actively seek help for him.

Even as a then untried coach, this was how Vossy dealt with the situation, without even having to consult the Lions Admin staff.

Quality human.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back