AFL Player #18: Lewis Hayes

Remove this Banner Ad

Lewis Hayes

13 disposals, eight kicks, five marks

Still learning his craft, but played really well. Worked up and down the ground and tried to get involved in our take while also getting involved down back in the air.

Haven’t really watched him at VFL level but he seems to be finding plenty of footy for a young key defender, always a good sign.

Reckon this guy will be a gun by 2026. Maybe even 2025.

By that time we are a top 4 team.

Imagine what we’re dishing up now with Perkins, Reid, Cox, Hobbs, Tsatas, Caldwell, BZT, Draper, Bryan, Davey, Davey, Wright, Redman and Hayes peaking.

There isn’t much to fall out the top age-wise. Heppell, Shiel, Stringer, Stewart.

In 15 years, I haven’t felt this positive. It’s happening. It’s really happening.

I'm in many ways more bullish on Hayes than I am on Reid. If both manage to make it over the next couple of years that's a fairly formidable KPD spine for a long time to come. Will be weird after so many years of surviving with a patchwork quilt defense. Also frees up Ridley to play his natural (less accountable role) as the floating intercept king we all know him to be. I'm imagining something like:

Ridley Hayes McGrath
Redman Reid Cox

with D'Ambrosio rotating through as necessary. I'm comforted also by how much BZT has come on, as he's shown he's got what it takes at AFL level, so if for example, Reid doesn't come on as hoped or remains cruelled by injury, you slot him in and it still looks like a solid back 6.

All young(-ish) so could become a real set and forget formation for Brad as he builds the team.

I'm in many ways more bullish on Hayes than I am on Reid. If both manage to make it over the next couple of years that's a fairly formidable KPD spine for a long time to come. Will be weird after so many years of surviving with a patchwork quilt defense. Also frees up Ridley to play his natural (less accountable role) as the floating intercept king we all know him to be. I'm imagining something like:

Ridley Hayes McGrath
Redman Reid Cox

with D'Ambrosio rotating through as necessary. I'm comforted also by how much BZT has come on, as he's shown he's got what it takes at AFL level, so if for example, Reid doesn't come on as hoped or remains cruelled by injury, you slot him in and it still looks like a solid back 6.

All young(-ish) so could become a real set and forget formation for Brad as he builds the team.
I feel like the Kelly type would be a better fit in this back 6 than Cox. Unless Cox develops to offer an incredible level of agility.

Kelly will age out though.. I wonder if Montgomerie’s defending will ever get up to that level

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Id be hesitant while he’s so young and still learning his role in the VFL even though he looks like he has a big future.

But then again, Sheeds was willing to play a lanky school boy at full back against some of the greatest ever full forwards…

Wanganeen to back pocket, Hayes to full back, Redman to CHB to play the Mark Harvey role. Voss in to emulate Dean Wallis. It makes sense.

I think if Scott plays Hayes then everything he has said to this point about playing people in VFL until they’re really ready was bullshit. Not that I’d be mad to see the kid get a crack, but it would diminish his coaches credibility a little
necessity may dictate a deviation given Ridley, Laverde, Stewart, Reid out.

agree.
and i'd rather we don't risk breaking Hayes. we've already f'd up 4x KPDs over 3 drafts
Yet you are prepared to throw Bryan back despite him having zero experience as a defender ? Do you really think Bryan getting flogged in defense will do anything for his development ?

Yet you are prepared to throw Bryan back despite him having zero experience as a defender ? Do you really think Bryan getting flogged in defense will do anything for his development ?
Bryan has a few years underneath him. But we're really clutching at straws/scraping a barrel. Kpd stocks arent looking good.

Bryan has a few years underneath him. But we're really clutching at straws/scraping a barrel. Kpd stocks arent looking good.
Baldwin has more hope.

Baldwin has more hope.
That’s where so fundamentally disagree with you on this one.

For me…..Bryan in defence v Brisbane has nothing to do with his development, it’s purely about trying to snatch a win this week (although taking one for the team and doing a job is arguably a development opportunity).

I just don’t see Baldwin matching up - even if there is pressure on he’ll be giving up so much height and reach that I can still see his man kicking 4-5 on him. I’d rather try Hayes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back