Player Watch 2023 Father Son player watch - McCabe, Dear and Maginness

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, I keep deleting posts referencing this, but can we move away from suggesting or making juvenile jokes about the bloodlines of players.

This is a public forum and parents of players do read here.

We had one of the best up and coming FB and CHB and still couldn’t make strong side back then.
Poor guy had to wade through the serious mental heath stuff when it was only partially accepted. Really hope he’s going ok, I gather it is by the fact he’s got the kids

And at least he played 100 games.
Actually he played 149 figure with my conspiracy theory hat on by then it will become 150 minimum!
It's funny you say that, because I recall the league wanting to push it out to 200 games (or 100 games and a premiership), and the clubs pushed back hard to the idea so it got shelved

It's funny you say that, because I recall the league wanting to push it out to 200 games (or 100 games and a premiership), and the clubs pushed back hard to the idea so it got shelved

It’s really a discount now anyway why not lower qualification to 50 games but make the discount pro rata on games played?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s really a discount now anyway why not lower qualification to 50 games but make the discount pro rata on games played?
It was 50 at one stage, but generally 50 games isn't enough to enamour a player to the fans.
Tom Hawkins dad played over 100 and even cats fans couldn't remember him

It is a trade that sits a bit uncomfortably nearly two decades later. He was very unwell and the club knew it. Hope he’s in a decent place. Was a very exciting player in 2000-2001 before illness ruined his career
I'm glad you bought it up. In hindsight it was horrible what we did to him.

I'm glad you bought it up. In hindsight it was horrible what we did to him.
This is absolutely true on face value, but there has to be something in the fact that he clearly doesn't hold any negative feelings towards the club about whatever happened (or at least not enough for him to bring his children to the club who are presumably Hawks fans based on the recent photos).

There could have been conversations had where the end result was a fresh start somewhere else might be good for him and may revitalise himself - and that suggestion could have come from either the club, himself, his manager or someone else close to him.

There is also a chance the move made things worse (not a knock on North) or that we didn't know the extent of the issues at the time.

I was only a child then, but I don't remember there being a significant spotlight on mental health and wellbeing and from my memory it really only started becoming a heavily spoken-about topic from the early/mid-2010s.

Watching your father die of the worse cancer that has no cure would affect any young person. Players are humans with feelings that affect them, not machines that just turn out week in week out to kick a footy.

Absolute must grab as a F/S.

I'd question our list management and style of what we're doing in our decision making if we don't.

Watching your father die of the worse cancer that has no cure would affect any young person. Players are humans with feelings that affect them, not machines that just turn out week in week out to kick a footy.

Absolute must grab as a F/S.

I'd question our list management and style of what we're doing in our decision making if we don't.
Spot on. We can't keep missing

I absolutely loved Johnny Hay at his peak. There was a game at Optus Oval where we smashed the Blues and he was absolutely unstoppable.

Got a bit sad in the end during the "sideways" era, but KEEP THIS KID AROUND THE CLUB!

He gave Hird a bath one day. All the commentators could do was go on and on about how Hird must be injured.
Hay was taller, stronger, faster and that day at least he was simply better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back