Review Preseason hit out against Dons and Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dempsey probably locked himself in our R1 team today.

Neale had a chance but didn’t take it.

To be fair to Shannon, our delivery inside 50 didn't actually help him in that regard.

For those interested, my Kayo was buffering so much I was following the scores on livescore.com, and by the time it showed the game had finished, my stream of the game still had 6 and a half minutes to go.

At least Neale competes in the air. Hawk is a one on one operator only these days and Jez a HFF.

it’s either Blitz, Gary Rohan or Ollie Henry for any down the line ball movement.

Neale’s work there can’t be underestimated esp with our elite small fwds

Ps Geez Bowes looked good. Obviously others were tired but he played a superb last half

To be fair to Shannon, our delivery inside 50 didn't actually help him in that regard.

For those interested, my Kayo was buffering so much I was following the scores on livescore.com, and by the time it showed the game had finished, my stream of the game still had 6 and a half minutes to go.
Yeah that could be the case but that's when he should go find the ball and be hungry to do that bit more... his not just big like Hawkins, his an athlete, that's what helped him get recruited

I now see the hype on Dempsey.

Bews has slimmed down a lot and haven’t seen him this fit for 5 years
The kid has “ just needs time.

I personally think he should have been given a few more full games last year when he was flying in the VFL.

At least Neale competes in the air. Hawk is a one on one operator only these days and Jez a HFF.

it’s either Blitz, Gary Rohan or Ollie Henry for any down the line ball movement.

Neale’s work there can’t be underestimated esp with our elite small fwds

Ps Geez Bowes looked good. Obviously others were tired but he played a superb last half
I think Neale is pretty ordinary in the air.

Especially for a monster 203cm guy.

Not enough for catempire

I'd hope they can find a spot for him until Cam returns.
Really? My comment was on his game to half time which by then featured 7 touches. Clearly he had a better 2nd half.

Really? My comment was on his game to half time which by then featured 7 touches. Clearly he had a better 2nd half.
So he's in now, you reckon?

Had more game time in the second half as well (77% of the second half compared to 61% in the first half).

Brings great tackling pressure and it was notable how well he releases others from contested situations.

It's not always coming off but he just needs game time at the high level for that to come.

Maybe they held him back so he could 'flat track' his way into some real confidence in his game before the season kicks off in earnest?

Makes about as much sense as leaving him out on form, anyway.

:rolleyes:

So he's in now, you reckon?

Had more game time in the second half as well (77% of the second half compared to 61% in the first half).

Brings great tackling pressure and it was notable how well he releases others from contested situations.

It's not always coming off but he just needs game time at the high level for that to come.
He’s right on the fringe. His 2nd half did his chances no harm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For all the obituaries about our midfield, we equaled them for clearances; then won the inside 50, marks inside 50 and scoring shot count.

Once Bowes came on in particular we were decent in there. He was very good when we finally put him on. Stanley, Blicavs, Holmes, Clark and Bruhn provided solid output. We go heavy on midfield rotations compared to Essendon. Dangerfield and Atkins when they upped the intensity were good; probably holding back for a fair bit.

The biggest change was getting Duncan out of the midfield and to half back and getting Blicavs in there. Happened half way thru the 2nd qtr and we started to wrestle some control at the contest.
Got the matchups right at halftime and we got the upper hand. The connection between our mids and fwds was a problem though.
Bowes was great. Has to be playing rd1 and must be contending for a starting midfield role.

The kid has “ just needs time.

I personally think he should have been given a few more full games last year when he was flying in the VFL.

I think Neale is pretty ordinary in the air.

Especially for a monster 203cm guy.
Neale you can see has already improved dramatically in the air
Another season and he’ll be right to go

The biggest change was getting Duncan out of the midfield and to half back and getting Blicavs in there. Happened half way thru the 2nd qtr and we started to wrestle some control at the contest.
Got the matchups right at halftime and we got the upper hand. The connection between our mids and fwds was a problem though.
Bowes was great. Has to be playing rd1 and must be contending for a starting midfield role.
Yep this was the better balance. Blicavs offered plenty around the ball as the match went on, complimenting the kids well. Bowes, Bruhn, Clark and Holmes connected well so it's something I'd like to see more of.

Intensity wise it was a weird game. We went half paced the first half, then Essendon did as the match went down the final stretch. When we had Clark and Bruhn on the ground more, with Bowes added, we certainly looked better.

Practice Match games are absolutely ripe for hot takes and overreacting...
If I am trying to be balanced I thought Max was tremendous, I thought especially though Jack Henry was great and makes us look so much more secure down back.. He's one of my faves but I really loved seeing him back out there. Ollie Dempsey just has that something about him, he was super I thought and Clark got better as the game went on, his intent and will to tackle is top notch.. As he worked into the game his clean ability in the stoppage started to show out. He needs time but I'm happy to see him get some.

Bowes was just tremendous when he came on, and Mannagh impressed me as well... Just a footballer, knows how to play the game.

Otherwise I thought we looked lethargic at times, super sloppy a few of our senior boys phoned it in and I can only take so much Kolo.... And he used up a good amount of that tonight.

Bring on Round 1!!

We'll be there abouts finals wise, young blokes in particular get rolling and we could do real damage again.. Cop injuries and we'll again struggle

Hey iv been rooting for Shannon Neale for some time but I was disappointed in his game tonight. 4 disposals 97min played from 119min..
I was hoping for him to take some big marks and so a bit more.. He does need games under his belt..

Look I know its a pre season game. But I thought he might of wanted to show a bit more to put his name up for Round 1...

I was just hoping a bit more from him... Thats all

I agree.
Some of delivery into the forward line didn’t help the cause, but when he went into the ruck he was a liability.
Until Hawkins retires, his best chance of getting a games is as fwd/relief ruck. He simply has to improve his ruck craft for that to happen.

Neale you can see has already improved dramatically in the air
Another season and he’ll be right to go

He had 2 marks and 4 touches.

One attempt he had the sit, missed the ball and falconed himself.

A few other times he failed to really crash a pack when he had the opportunity.

I want him to be good, but he just wasn’t.

He still has a long long way to go.

Hopefully he gets there… but I think we will need to chase a key forward in the next couple years.

He had 2 marks and 4 touches.

One attempt he had the sit, missed the ball and falconed himself.

A few other times he failed to really crash a pack when he had the opportunity.

I want him to be good, but he just wasn’t.

He still has a long long way to go.

Hopefully he gets there… but I think we will need to chase a key forward in the next couple years.
Even last week we seen improvements
I’m not saying he’s perfect
I’m saying you can see the improvements

I now have Clark in for Guthrie.

He done enough.

I have to admit like catempire I was not loving his early game but he did warm to the job basically as soon as I started worrying about him.

He is a terrier… wish we could press a button and instantly put two years of experience and gym time into him.
And two inches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back