Autopsy GWS d NMFC 121 - 82.

Remove this Banner Ad

Needs stints in there when he is not getting the ball

It’s interesting. I’d be tempted to go a little more aggressively with him at centre bounces. I certainly don’t see a role as a mid beyond that. Kind of a Stringer role minus the scouting of high schools.

It’s interesting. I’d be tempted to go a little more aggressively with him at centre bounces. I certainly don’t see a role as a mid beyond that. Kind of a Stringer role minus the scouting of high schools.

he doesn't and won't have the tank for it.

He has to be an impact style player.

17 touches total with 10 coming in the third when he was up around the ball. I wonder if he'd do better with 5 minutes a quarter in there rather than a full quarter stint.

he doesn't and won't have the tank for it.

He has to be an impact style player.

17 touches total with 10 coming in the third when he was up around the ball. I wonder if he'd do better with 5 minutes a quarter in there rather than a full quarter stint.

Yeah, I’m not talking full time, just a bit more. Then push forward. Clearly he’s not who you’d want in the ball pig role.

Not sure how you saw LDU’s game as a positive, thought he has been average all preseason and again today.
You're a bit blinded here. If anyone else on our team plays that game, it would be getting extensive praise on here. We can't make him a victim of his own standards.

Was it a s**t first quarter? Yes. Did he seem remotely interested in stopping their midfield once they got going? No. But did he nevertheless do a s**t ton with the ball and help propel us forward? Yes.

Was a net positive performance. No question. He's our best player and it isn't that close imo

Was out all day and didn’t see the game - I’ll refrain from commenting on it til I’ve seen a replay.

Absolutely s**t luck for Goater. Can only wish him all the best for his recovery and hope the club does everything to the highest possible standard to support him.

If we're contending in 2026 it will be a miracle. We're miles off it still IMO.
Nevertheless, they cracked in and didn't give up
Too many list cloggers though and still not enough top young talent across entire field.
Backline is horrid.
Shattered about Goater. He looked good.
Need to beat Freo next week or we'll be 0-5 and it'll be another horribly long season.
You'd think for how long we've been down we should be contending in 26, but here we are with the youngest list. So id agree 26 might stretch but its possible. The Giants who i had flag favorites pre season arent much older.

Our midfield is heavily reliant on the younger players still developing their bodies for the most part. Which hasnt been helped with Simpkin out and of course Thomas gone who should be near the peak of his powers right now.
Its a credit the boys winning clearances, but what stood out to me was the wave running after that. GWS always has an overlap and had the bigger bodies to break tackles enough to get a disposal out. This to me was the no1 in the extra 19 scoring shots and lets be honest the scoreboard couldve been worse. This is why we saw more of Zurhaar in the middle.
Unfortunately having Simpkin back wont make much difference to that because he's just not that sort of player. Also im really hoping this would be the year LDU rips it up, but sluggish (being kind) preseason form and despite very respectable numbers didnt have the influence i was expecting. Its only early so hopefully he can impact games more going forward.

Until we can match that physical strength in rebound run, or get hell of a lot better at sticking tackles on stronger players it wont matter what we have up either end. GWS and Swans look so powerful on the rebound with the Swans intercepting of oppo chains simply next level so we were up against one of the best. But we'll face the same problem against all teams except probably WC just to a lesser extent.

And yeah im gutted for Goater, really looked forward to him showing the AFL world what he's got.

I mentioned it during the saints pre season game. Just cannot line up with that many small, unaccountable, attack minded defenders.

Fisher isn’t a defender, Sheezel isn’t a defender, Scott isn’t a defender & McKercher isn’t a defender. Should the result being opened up so often be a surprise?. I get LMac is underdone etc. but jeez our stocks back there leave a lot to be desired.

Goater was a big positive, again after a really good pre season. Unfortunately that’s him done for the year. All the best Billy.

Larkey cooked by an unbelievable Sam Taylor, but still needs to be a lot more physical. Smalls need to be applying heat a lot more too. Also needs a competent number 2, please just stick Comben at CHF. Dawson can cover down back till Logue is ready. Don’t want to see CCJ getting games.

For as good as we looked at stages with ball in hand, if we are going to concede 120 marks a game we won’t be winning as often as we hoped. Way too unaccountable and I hope that doesn’t get glossed over, it’s not good enough.

Not as positive about today as others, there were glimpses but we’ve dealt in glimpses for 5-6 years. Need more.
Hey m8 I was at the game.
They all talk it up but I don’t see any monumental change. Another year of honourable losses (if we can kick straight enough to flatter the scoreboard) followed by the old “well, we were playing a flag contender”, followed by “we will be better next year” with zero evidence for that happening. It’s not inevitable. It actually requires the Zurhaar bracket to step up which is why I enjoyed Clarko’s comments during the week.
Still, if nothing is actually done, nothing will come of that 🤷‍♂️
First time poster so no offence to you I just needed a negative post to reply to. I’m a long time North supporter/sufferer I was at the game. Not sure from reading these posts how many of you were….

A few observations today.

1.We played a good team that are on and didn’t have to get out of 2nd gear. They move the ball so well and have, in my opinion, the most solid defensive unit in the comp. Actually so so solid on all 3 lines.

2.Taylor absolutely killed us in the first half. Straight kicking helped us stay in the game. Same thing happened as was happening last year and the year before and the year before that with our supposed leaders kicking it in long to the top of the square or down the line, only to be intercepted or interrupted but a GWS player (mainly Taylor) Saying that our young (good) players seemed to be more creative and look for short targets. Sheezel is a freak, will be like Pendlebury but better thank the football gods we got him.

3. Fitness has improved but we as was the case last year, looked out of legs in the last 5mins of pretty much every quarter.

4. Corr is s**t don’t know why we got him to tell you the truth was watching him get led to the ball all day so slow and had the tenacity to blame other players for his * ups and they definitely were his. He is under done but still so so average. Sadness

5.YOUNG PLAYERS……

Duursma:is a one touch player we got a bargain and what we needed with him. McKay can go f$&()$&$$k himself we won that deal. McKay was same old same old in the 30mins I watched of the scum vs the poo and the pee. A win for NM in the long run guaranteed.

Wardlaw: My favourite we are so lucky to have him he is like a Jack in the box down up down up and so ******* hard at the ball and the player. He goes down and gets up so fast you can’t believe it. I’ve seen comparisons with players on here but if he stays healthy and at North our Paul Kelly not the singer (who is not a bad kick) of the footy but the Sydney legend. Hard as nails!!!!

Sheezel: silk nothing more needed captain in waiting and a winner.

Mckercher: as the season goes on he will get so much better his team mates let him down today he wanted so many times to kick it to the right place but there was no one there or they got beaten. Speed and footy IQ. Like Wardlaw, Sheezel is a winner.

Curtain: adds so much offensively …. defensively useless needs to pick this part of his game up or get dropped quickly .

Lazzarro: f,???!)(;;,?)))$king useless I watched the preseason games as well but apart from the dinky kicks into the forward line pre season which work then and in VFL but definitely not when the whips are cracking. You need one touch players and this guy from today and pretty much every other game I’ve seen him play is not up to it. I’m sorry for to be harsh but he doesn’t have the skills we need to win. Has no weapons. NOT GOOD ENOUGH!!!!

Powell: OK needs to be better looks good then makes mistakes too often not sure why as has skills and sees the game. Today was ok but not great.

Pink: not young but had a go not good not bad. But not there when we get a team sorted too slow.

Dawson: reckon we have a keeper here played defensively solid all day with the mistakes that were being made up the ground and the defensive structures not able to cope with the ease at which the ball was coming in. Reminds me of Thompson will keep on getting better good offensive kick and good defensive decision maker.

Ford: something about him. He doesn’t * up the easy stuff apart from that massive mistake with the music’s to Curtis but I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt as just not fit and late in the game. Role player but had some skills and as I thought and was proved right today gets to the right spots.

Stevens: really didn’t notice him liked some stuff I saw in the pre season but as happened last year when I was at the SCG he sort of stayed out wide and didn’t demand or make the ball his….

Xerri: competed all day Goldy would have been proud. Not amazing but potential and will be good enough as a premiership ruckman when the time comes, fingers crossed.

6. Old players/experienced players

Fisher: not great today looked up at one point and said to my m8 ‘look how small they are’ referring to the back line. Not sure Fisher Sheezel mckercher and today goater can take 4 out of the 6 back positions.

Stephenson. Weak as piss I’m not sure what Clarkson sees in this guy but will break a teams confidence with his lack of North Melbourne balls I reckon saw him 3 or 4 times not go when he needed to go one time was when we were 9 points down coming into half time. Drop!!!!

CCJ: not ok not a shinbonner you who remember will agree!!! Put this down to a past recruitment team * up and move on. He looks like ‘a Bambi on ice once he has competed there is no second effort bc turning circle is like a Boeing 747 in other words not a modern day footballer.

Zurhaar: love him but doesn’t do enough regularly…. It’s controversial but……see what you can get for him. Need a small pressure forward so so badly.

LDU, Larkey, Scott OK but not great but tried hard.

Everyone else not really that memorable.

In summary:

Way better than last year would have got beaten by 15 goals. Clarkson has a plan, we all of a sudden have skilled players who can move the ball quickly and make good decisions. Our backline wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be bar Corr. Goater was played really well and looked a lock for the next 10 years so a shame and I wish him well and a speedy recovery.

Ball use was quick when they had a go. However a few of the same crew bombed it down the line but the younger guys seemed to be a bit more creative and precise with their decision making which was encouraging.

Major problem is on the turnover which I don’t seem to see in other teams as badly there seems to be soooooooo much space for the forwards. Norfball or whatever I’m a fan but being opened up that big doesn’t win games of football. EVER.

You could see their heads drop in the 3rd and my mates who are pretty well schooled plus my missus who isn’t said they had lost their will which was sad. Saying that they kept on going in the 4th which was good to see.

All in all 7.5/10 many positives which out weigh the nagatives.

Ps excuse grammar and spelling as I know some of you are big on that boring s**t…..

Go Roos premiership in 2026!!!!

It was obvious from 5 minutes in he should have played in the middle. 10 possessions in the 3rd quarter, he has it.

He isn't a midfielder and he has no future as one when Wardlaw and McKercher fill out. The midfield is going to be Wardlaw, LDU and McKercher and the second tier is currently Simpkin, Powell and Phillips.

He might be useful in the short-term as a stop gap, especially when Greenwood and Simpkin are not available this year, but there is no way he is going to get a monster contract on the type of footy he is currently playing.

We had a similar issue with Stevo when we were playing him all over the park, we thankfully have settled him down in a forward flank role and he has been miles better than Cam in that role. It is a role where your total amount of disposals isn't as important as the impact you have from limited opportunities. He had a few good passages of play in the forward half but we need the mature group to carry more of the burden.

The ball just comes out way too easily from our kicks inside 50 and the opposition have a lot more run on the rebound and not a lot of pressure is put on them, it is causing problems for our midfield who are getting opened up when there is no pressure on the ball rebounding and doesn't give time for our defense to deploy a defensive posture. Xerri got back in front of Hogan once and that was in the last 5 minutes of the game, there is just not enough pressure applied in our forward half.

He needs to find a way to get into the game more, when Boomer played as a forward, he would still get the ball in the defensive 50 and help create run and carry through the midfield and the vast majority of his goals came from him running inside the forward 50 with the ball, not waiting in the forward 50 for the ball to land in his hands.

I think he is capable of being a very damaging player, it has to be as a forward though and he has to will himself to find the ball and get into contests whilst playing as a forward and not allow his direct defender opponent to do more scoreboard damage than himself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A 40 point loss on their deck with that team, and where we are in our development... is respectable. I expected a much heavier loss pre game.
Was impressed with our ability and attitude to not fall away.
GWS had double our scoring shots.
Should’ve been a 10 goal loss. Let’s not kid ourselves.

We (the club and its supporters) have continually lowered the bar over the last 5 years to the extent that we are now “happy” with 40 point losses.
As long as a young player plays a decent game, that’s all that matters it seems.

Apparently the future looks real bright at Arden St. Despite not having a decent small forward on our list and a defensive back 6 that is VFL standard.

We (the club and its supporters) have continually lowered the bar over the last 5 years to the extent that we are now “happy” with 40 point losses.
As long as a young player plays a decent game, that’s all that matters it seems.

Apparently the future looks real bright at Arden St. Despite not having a decent small forward on our list and a defensive back 6 that is VFL standard.
Several 60, 80, 100 points losses have been experienced in recent years. No one expected us to win today on their deck, bookies had us as long as $9. So I'm not going to hang them for a 40 point loss. We still have quite a few deficiencies, defence being the glaring hole. But they have arguably the best list in the comp, no weaknesses on any line.

For the first time in a long time, I think we're on the right track.

Thank you 👏🏻

The scoreboard flattered us in the end.
Im not buying this. This is a cop out. On one hand you can say that because it’s literally on the scoreboard however, its disingenuous to suggest so. We had many inside 50’s that should have been scores but because of Zurhaars free against with 3 kangas on the fat side ready to pounce, Fords brain fart, Lazzaro taking the free kick instead of Wardlaw, Lazzaros s**t inside 50 kicks and LDU’s delivery inside 50’s.. The margin is about right. I can’t accept we were flattered by it. Its accurate.

You're a bit blinded here. If anyone else on our team plays that game, it would be getting extensive praise on here. We can't make him a victim of his own standards.

Was it a s**t first quarter? Yes. Did he seem remotely interested in stopping their midfield once they got going? No. But did he nevertheless do a s**t ton with the ball and help propel us forward? Yes.

Was a net positive performance. No question. He's our best player and it isn't that close imo
Don’t think its blind to think he was down on his best footy. He has a benchmark, kpi’s, metrics whatever people want to call it and he would have been in the red on all of them.

It’s easy to see glimmers of hope in yesterdays game after the cursed run we’ve had over the past 4 - 5 years but I agree with you in that the “good game” bar is set very low.

While this game has certainly dampened some of the usual preseason excitement (which was expected) it was Goater’s season ending injury that really ruined what was a pretty ordinary day I thought.

Another long season ahead. How many games can we win, based on what we’ve seen on Saturday? Maybe 5 or 6? As we keep finding new future stars ( McKercher and Duursma certainly look to have star potential) we also get a reminder that there are still more holes in our lineup than we might have hoped. And as much as Fisher and Stephens have some quality, it’s pretty easy to see why they weren’t getting regular games at their clubs.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I hope you understand the frustration though. We’ve become a polite team too friendly to be successful. It’s like we’re not allowed to be. Who says?
Tapping the sign - no one posting here plays or coaches at North Melbourne, and our attitudes make zero difference to performance.

Not sure how you saw LDU’s game as a positive, thought he has been average all preseason and again today.
Agree he was poor against St Kilda with just 14 touches and 1 clearance and was quiet in the first quarter yesterday. But he ended up with 29 and 8 clearances plus a team high 29 pressure acts so better.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240317-084000.png
    Screenshot_20240317-084000.png
    19.8 KB · Views: 47

Remove this Banner Ad

Back