Autopsy Round 2 = St Kilda 94-79 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

We are not connecting.
Mcinnes, Frampton, schulz and macrae in Murphy and mcstay out
When we have the same 22 playing all the time it's easy to play well
When we don't we are vulnerable but newsflash this is all teams. We need consistency. A consistent line up helps. Pendles even said that last week and they know it will turn.
Hopefully we get that back soon
Yes a lot of hard work goes into a flag but a lot of luck too.
We don’t even resemble last years team. We seem bereft of a game plan.
You said we are not connecting. Absolutely we’re not.
How many times did we shoot out a short handball and it went to ground because the receiving player didn’t expect it.

Putrid again. I dont mind it though. Not going to win the flag with Dad's army. Might as well get the draft picks... get rid of Derek, and actually pick a key forward, then recruit hard
I totally agree but everytime time that I mention our lack of fey korwards & especially young project players that we could have drafted on this site, I get totally castigated for my lack of beliefvin the innate wisodom & acumen of our recruiting team. We seem to have a total aversion via Hine & his underlings to recruiting anyone over 190 cms. And now when we are likely to have a very mediocre season & of course the brains trust has given up our First Round Draft choice in the 2024 National Draft for a very mediocre small forward who has not really shown much to value add our forward line above & beyond what Ginnivan offered us. Again why did we not invite a few young potential Key Position players to train with us over the pre-season as opposed to more average mid-fielders? Then they draft an injury-prone reject from Essendon to play as a key backman but once again he has a severe hamstring injury & so is likely to be out for months. So when people on this site talk about blooding youth, well there are no suitable young players to blood. Perhaps they could try Begg or even Steene at centre-half forward or full-forward? Not exactly a desirable scenario. I cannot see us making the Final 8 in 2024 & being a bit older I see quite a few comparisons with what happened in 1991 after winning the flag in 1990. And what so have to play with? A few 2nd Round Draft choices. A very long & painful season beckons in my opinion. Goodnight & goosluck.
Yeah, we're great at giving away 1st rounders

Still cannot believe Fin didn't start. We had two extractors most of last year in Mitchell and Adams. JDG and Nick thrived off getting the quickly released ball.

We've played three games now with one (or none against Sydney). Seriously WTF?!?!

At least Reef finally got a game and showed what we all knew we would see.

Good: Frampton, Bruz & Cameron around the ground

Bad: Coaching. Lack of anything and leaving Finn as sub until the start of the last Q

Leaving Titch and Pendles in the middle together. 2nd to the ball and too slow

Every time McCreery gets the ball he goes sideways instead of towards goal. Why?

Naicos has become ineffective by trying to be too cute with his possessions

Ugly: The umpiring tonight was the worst I have ever witnessed

Our game plan and style tonight and last week was reminiscent on 2016-17.

Lack of intent and poor disposal

Talk of fighting among staff and rumours of bias against female staff

Our premiership hangover.

The lack of anything from Bobby, Sidey, Crisp Howe, Titch, Oleg, Moore, Billy

Moore guarding grass instead of a player. As such he has had limited impact in all games. His poor games have been compounded by his poor disposal and turnovers resulting in goals

Father time has caught up with Sidey, Titch and Howe

Winning the clanger count by 20+

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In Rocky III, the great man had reached the pinnacle and then lost the hunger. Clubber Lang said suggestive things to Rocky's wife, but even that didn't fire the champ up.

He'd lost the eye of the tiger.

He had to go to California and form a productive and homoerotic relationship with Apollo Creed in order to rediscover his passion.

But in real life, bonding with men in tight shorts isn't usually enough to recover your 'edge'. Although I hear it can be fun.

------------------------------------------------------------

The moral of the story is that this team gave us some incredible highs last year, all of those pulsating come-from-behind wins, all of that self-belief, and then the ultimate high of a premiership...and I understand why they are flat.

They left me exhausted in 2023, I'll forgive them for still being a bit tired.

Well that’s the most disappointing effort since Fly arrived.

The constant “giving up” after one or two efforts, going to ground and no desire to smother and impact was just astounding.
Josh, Beau, Markov and even Nick just constantly gave up in defense.
It was noticeable and hard to watch.
Has Crisp & Sidey ever had a worse game?!? Like wtf?!?!? At some point percentages say either will do something….

Most important of all…fumble fumble fumble is our catch cry this year.
Our documentary will be titled “fumbling to the line”.
Difference in player behaviour is stark!
We touched it heaps first and spilled it to them, got in each others way, got sucked into the contest….it was basic stuff over and over.

And when we got out, we missed kick after kick after kick. Lead up, cross ground….we behaved like our current ladder position…..funny that!!

Haven’t seen us fumble like that in 2+ years. But it’s a huge difference in our style.

Re umps: all the saints calls were there. In replay they will be there. The question with umps, as it always is, was why the same weren’t paid the other way.
Lithe irony is we had some
Absolute shockers paid our way too. Overall that’s one of the poorest nights for umps I’ve seen (both sides).

impossible game to umpire. Easily the most frustrating sport in the world to watch due to the rules. Really unsure why the afl don’t actually fix the rules to make it easier to understand. So many simple things…yet “interpretation” seems to be front and centre.

I agree. Cox is deligitimised by the umpires (ie the rules no longer apply if he is involved). For reasons as yet unclear, Curnow gets more soft free kicks on a regular basis than virtually any other AFL player.

And the commentators never say a word about the mauling of Cox. They like seeing him fail.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The boys were clearly frustrated tonight by how things unfolded. Last year our second half efforts were being rewarded with wins but so far we haven't managed to captivate the same form. You get the sense that we've been studied quite well because have you noticed our link ups in transition are no longer paying dividends? In the past we would break lines but now teams are correctly pressuring us in the right places and creating turnovers that are making us look like we've suddenly forgot how to hit targets. The risk of fast footy in transition has always been that if you turn the ball over the situation is completely reversed, and the players who busted their gut to create an advantage are the ones suffering for it. Everyone is relying on poor Darcy to be a hero but he can only do so much (Frampton's defensive impact on the game is showing us how valuable Murphy was for us last year to assist Moore in locking down key targets)

They say everybody has a gameplan until you get punched in the mouth and the other part of our game that you could say we're lacking, devoid of any strategy are simply players who can win 1 on 1s, particularly up forward. I was always hopeful that De Goey could mould himself into this type of player, and while he shows glimpses hasn't really managed to reach that level of expectation. Cox should be a match up nightmare that draws numbers but at best hes servicable, though as someone who hasn't grown up with the sport I still commend his efforts.

Closing note is that i'm excited to see how the club handles this horrific start to the season - We're facing a level of adversity right now and i'm confident that Fly, nor the playing group are going to allow ourselves to remain in this slump for much longer.

Not sure whether to bother looking too much into the game, or looking at it more broadly.

Whether they want to believe it or not i think they need to accept a mentality issue is partially there. Flags are hard to win, so its not about going back to back, its really about the urgency, diligence abd competitiveness of the whole group.

I think McInnes while makibg some errors appeared to be a good third forward. Liked the explosiveness and springiness that he had to give him some separation to mark and have an extda step for himself yo execute.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back