Autopsy Round 2 = St Kilda 94-79 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Time to do a 2013-2017 style rebuild. I'm keeping perspective, last year was awesome. I guess I didn't expect the end to come this quick.
Yes, hard to believe that the end could be so catastrophically rapid. I tend to think that it is
Good: Frampton, Bruz & Cameron around the ground

Bad: Coaching. Lack of anything and leaving Finn as sub until the start of the last Q

Leaving Titch and Pendles in the middle together. 2nd to the ball and too slow

Every time McCreery gets the ball he goes sideways instead of towards goal. Why?

Naicos has become ineffective by trying to be too cute with his possessions

Ugly: The umpiring tonight was the worst I have ever witnessed

Our game plan and style tonight and last week was reminiscent on 2016-17.

Lack of intent and poor disposal

Talk of fighting among staff and rumours of bias against female staff

Our premiership hangover.

The lack of anything from Bobby, Sidey, Crisp Howe, Titch, Oleg, Moore, Billy

Moore guarding grass instead of a player. As such he has had limited impact in all games. His poor games have been compounded by his poor disposal and turnovers resulting in goals

Father time has caught up with Sidey, Titch and Howe

Winning the clanger count by 20+

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Can you elaborate on the information re fighting among staff and rumours of bias against females?

On a serious note and and sh1t as it is right now and how the rest of 2024 looks bleak, do we set up for two out of three years for flags?

Not sure how we get back up next year but two in three years isn’t too bad?

Yes, hard to believe that the end could be so catastrophically rapid. I tend to think that it is

Can you elaborate on the information re fighting among staff and rumours of bias against females?
It’s just Caro and another one of her bullshit hot takes, wouldn’t give it any credence.

The most frustrating part of that was it was just agter JDG was being held in our forward line and then penalised for holding the ball (Which they also laughed about) 2 goal turnaround when we were 14 down and coming at them. I didn't expect us to get over the line but that certainly extinguished any sort of hope.
Credit to the Saints. They were clearly better for most of the night.

In all honesty the Saints were woeful to in turning the ball over. Unfortunately we were worse then the Saints, and they were able to capitalise on turnovers more, particularly in that 3rd quarter...

In Rocky III, the great man had reached the pinnacle and then lost the hunger. Clubber Lang said suggestive things to Rocky's wife, but even that didn't fire the champ up.

He'd lost the eye of the tiger.

He had to go to California and form a productive and homoerotic relationship with Apollo Creed in order to rediscover his passion.

But in real life, bonding with men in tight shorts isn't usually enough to recover your 'edge'. Although I hear it can be fun.

------------------------------------------------------------

The moral of the story is that this team gave us some incredible highs last year, all of those pulsating come-from-behind wins, all of that self-belief, and then the ultimate high of a premiership...and I understand why they are flat.

They left me exhausted in 2023, I'll forgive them for still being a bit tired.

IMG_6108.gif

The boys were clearly frustrated tonight by how things unfolded. Last year our second half efforts were being rewarded with wins but so far we haven't managed to captivate the same form. You get the sense that we've been studied quite well because have you noticed our link ups in transition are no longer paying dividends? In the past we would break lines but now teams are correctly pressuring us in the right places and creating turnovers that are making us look like we've suddenly forgot how to hit targets. The risk of fast footy in transition has always been that if you turn the ball over the situation is completely reversed, and the players who busted their gut to create an advantage are the ones suffering for it. Everyone is relying on poor Darcy to be a hero but he can only do so much (Frampton's defensive impact on the game is showing us how valuable Murphy was for us last year to assist Moore in locking down key targets)

They say everybody has a gameplan until you get punched in the mouth and the other part of our game that you could say we're lacking, devoid of any strategy are simply players who can win 1 on 1s, particularly up forward. I was always hopeful that De Goey could mould himself into this type of player, and while he shows glimpses hasn't really managed to reach that level of expectation. Cox should be a match up nightmare that draws numbers but at best hes servicable, though as someone who hasn't grown up with the sport I still commend his efforts.

Closing note is that i'm excited to see how the club handles this horrific start to the season - We're facing a level of adversity right now and i'm confident that Fly, nor the playing group are going to allow ourselves to remain in this slump for much longer.
Love your optimism, and i really hope that your confidence is justified. Fly is a Premiership coach. Can he cement himself as a GOAT by responding to the current crisis in a positive manner? Not suggesting a resurgence to win a flag from here, nor even necessarily to make finals, but just a process through which we create the basis for a quick re-establishment of the energy, team cohesion and skill set that made 2023 a glorious year.

It’s just Caro and another one of her bullshit hot takes, wouldn’t give it any credence.
Caro is a gutter journalist. Thank god she does not report on current affairs, because she would just be a Murdoch regurgitator. Yeah, as usual creating provocations against our club.
She is a moron though, and has no insight into actually what is happening on the field and why we have regresses so much since last year.

Forgot we were playing tonight. Glad I didn't watch. :)

Reef kicked 3, that's promising. How did they come about, lead up marking, contested, or out the back?

Also, bring back JFN.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Play the kids

Allan
Harrison
Macrae
Mcinnes
Steene
And bloody noble !!
One more week

There were signs tonight imo that we're getting closer

The sight of Brisbane may fire our boys up and then we're 1-3 with Hawthorn on the menu, season alive

But if we lose next week may as well bottle it and rebuild, play the kids

On SM-A225F using BigFooty.com mobile app

On a serious note and and sh1t as it is right now and how the rest of 2024 looks bleak, do we set up for two out of three years for flags?

Not sure how we get back up next year but two in three years isn’t too bad?
We can do what Geelong does and keep trading for ready made players instead of waiting for young kids to mature. But i don't know why high profile players never want to come to Collingwood. The last high profile recruit to come to Collingwood was Nathan Buckley, and before him was Brian Taylor

Sometimes stuff just go your way. It Happens.

The last two years, we’ve had a heap go our way. Teams falling over time and time again.

But this year, little stuff isnt falling our way and it makes a difference.

Sidey making good position to spoil and hits it straight to Higgins.
Handball into mores head…they take it for a goal. Crisp handball to Pendles who wasn’t expecting it….everything we did was nearly….
More making a great chase and resultant skewed kick lands within the 1M it can that they take a mark.

Stuff like that you can’t control. But none of them were bad plays. So far, looks like a frustrating year of “nearly”.

Er... Hines picks like Reef and Macrae are the only bright spots in our side ATM.

More like get rid of GW so he stops trading away our high draft picks for plodders like Schultz. Or giving away exciting young talent like Ginnivan for a pack of chips.
Tell me about Hine’s picks of Rantall, Bianco, Poulter, Sier et al?

The fact that we have such little youth and no key position depth whatsoever sits with him.

Too many guys out there playing bruise free and not putting in 100% effort, let alone the shocking skills and decision making. It is clear many of them are just not ready to play at the level required and/or simply are not interested in doing so. Winning the flag looks to have created a satisfied bunch. Not all look this way but more than enough do. Sorry Lachie Schultz, you missed the boat son.

Tonight was better than the first two games so there is that, although it was still a loss of 4 invaluable points. Will be damn hard to come back from 0-3 and make finals with the Lions at the Gabba to come it's looking like 0-4. Hate to be too pesimistic but more likely than not our season is done.

I had a feeling we may be this way after the flag. To basically play 2 seasons of high emotion footy, close games, thrilling wins and all the fanfare that came with it over the past 6 months I am not shocked that we have not prepared ourselves for season 2024. So be it, I'll take 3 flags in 5 years then. ;)

Sometimes stuff just go your way. It Happens.

The last two years, we’ve had a heap go our way. Teams falling over time and time again.

But this year, little stuff isnt falling our way and it makes a difference.

Sidey making good position to spoil and hits it straight to Higgins.
Handball into mores head…they take it for a goal. Crisp handball to Pendles who wasn’t expecting it….everything we did was nearly….
More making a great chase and resultant skewed kick lands within the 1M it can that they take a mark.

Stuff like that you can’t control. But none of them were bad plays. So far, looks like a frustrating year of “nearly”.
Freekick count of 30 - 16 doesn't help either

Fin Macrae is a grinder. He needs time to build influence on matches. He’s not an impact player. It makes no sense to make him sub.

By the time he’s being activated, he has no chance of changing the outcome.

Subs should either be utilities like WHE, or X-factor/fast players like McCreery, not grinders.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I don’t disagree but * not having McCreery out there the whole time. What we don’t need is less defensive pressure and pace.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back