Tasmania Tasmania Devils, welcome to the AFL. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5 (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

according to ABC Election projections so far, whilst Liberals will be the biggest party, they will not get an absolute majority. Counting still being undertaken and preferences to be distributed, but Jacqui Lambie Network may have the balance of power?

according to ABC Election projections so far, whilst Liberals will be the biggest party, they will not get an absolute majority. Counting still being undertaken and preferences to be distributed, but Jacqui Lambie Network may have the balance of power?
The greens are also a good chance of winning 6 seats which makes things interesting for the team and stadium.

But surely, at this stage with 150,000+ members, the Tasmanian team is inevitable?
Should be but there's clowns in this state who would still at least try jeopardize it.

If they don't get thevstadium built they can just play at blundstone for couple years

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
The plan is to play at Blundstone and Utas the first year because the stadium isn't due to be built until 2029. If the stadium isn't built by the 2029 then the Tasmanian government is required to pay several million a year in late fees to the AFL until it's built.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The plan is to play at Blundstone and Utas the first year because the stadium isn't due to be built until 2029. If the stadium isn't built by the 2029 then the Tasmanian government is required to pay several million a year in late fees to the AFL until it's built.
Which is entirely common sense because the AFL in turn would have to cover operating expenses by the Tasmanian team, because the Tasmanian team won't generate enough revenue without a modern stadium.

I find it strange that people don't understand this. A team has to be able to generate a certain level of independent revenue, more or less by selling tickets, membership and sponsorship, which is roughly about $30 million per year. A nice stadium can get close to that amount. Bellerive and York Park (before redevelopment) cannot. The Tasmanian Labor Party certainly doesn't seem to understand it.

After todays election results in Tasmania one possibility is that Labor and the Greens will form a type of coalition govt and if that happens you can kiss the new Stadium in Hobart good bye and I don't see how the AFL can back away from its stadium conditions so maybe no stadium = no Tassie team for the foreseeable future or possibly ever.

If the Stadium sentiment was "lets build the new stadium" was strong enough it would have helped the Liberals but they lost 6% of their vote compared to the last election a lot of which would have gone to 100% anti stadium Lambie Party that did not run in the last election.

Which is entirely common sense because the AFL in turn would have to cover operating expenses by the Tasmanian team, because the Tasmanian team won't generate enough revenue without a modern stadium.

I find it strange that people don't understand this. A team has to be able to generate a certain level of independent revenue, more or less by selling tickets, membership and sponsorship, which is roughly about $30 million per year. A nice stadium can get close to that amount. Bellerive and York Park (before redevelopment) cannot. The Tasmanian Labor Party certainly doesn't seem to understand it.

I'm sure there will be a Tassie team.

The AFL need to just back off their expectations.

Use the 2 existing stadiums and maybe take a couple million from the other spongey new clubs.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
It costs between $50 - $70 million dollars to run an AFL team year on year and I doubt there is that sort of money to be had in Tasmania either membership and sponsorships wise which could see a Tassie team struggle to be successful both on and off the field for years meaning that the AFL would have to prop them up same as they do for GC and GWS and that is the last thing the AFL needs.

I know this isn't a politics thread, but what a bizarre voting system you guys have down there. Just seems designed to ensure you'll almost always get a hung parliament. Which is a recipe for nothing ever getting done.
I don't disagree.
We do a lot of things right in Tassie but politics and the systems that go with it isn't one of them.

I know this isn't a politics thread, but what a bizarre voting system you guys have down there. Just seems designed to ensure you'll almost always get a hung parliament. Which is a recipe for nothing ever getting done.
ACT uses a similar Hare-Clark system, and it does lead to coalition governments. Currently there’s 10 ALP-6 Greens-9 Liberals, with the only majority government in our history being the 2004 election where ALP got a majority on its own right. All other elections since we got self government in 1989 have led to no single party having a majority.

Blundstone is not suitable for a full fledged AFL team.

On SM-S906E using BigFooty.com mobile app
I'm pretty sure cricket Tas has said houses would have to be demolished to upgrade Bellerive to standard. It definitely isn't suitable as it is because it only has 12,000 seats so they won't have seating for a lot of members. It also as a restriction on night events due to constant complaints from residents so we would get very few night games.

Last edited:
I've only been to Blundstone once, and admittedly it was a little cold and rainy that night, but it struck me as a bit of a hole and as many say, not easy to get to/park.

York Park/UTAS on the other hand... seriously underrated.

I'm pretty sure cricket Tas has said houses would have to be demolished to upgrade Bellerive to standard. It definitely isn't suitable as it is because it only has 12,000 seats so they won't have seating for a lot of members. It also as a restriction on night events due to constant complaints from residentidents so we would get very few night games.
All of this is 100% known - the play will be most games at utas stadium

All of this is 100% known - the play will be most games at utas stadium
The liberals are going to have to do deals with the Jacqui Lambi party and the Greens so a stadium is looking very rocky indeed. Surely they are not going to base the team up here in Launceston where only 100,000 people live,that would be crazy in my opinion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back