Preview Rnd 3 - Carlton v North Friday 29th March 4.20PM @ Marvel - Team Stickied

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN:
Elijah Hollands, Caleb Marchbank, Jacob Weitering
OUT: David Cuningham (calf), Brodie Kemp, Lewis Young
NEW: Elijah Hollands

Round 3 team v North Melbourne
Backs:Caleb MarchbankJacob WeiteringZac Williams
Half-backs:Adam SaadMitch McGovernNic Newman
Centreline:Ollie HollandsPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
Half-forwards:Matthew OwiesHarry McKayMatthew Kennedy
Forwards:Elijah HollandsCharlie CurnowLachie Fogarty
Followers:Tom De KoningAdam CerraGeorge Hewett
Interchange:Jordan BoydJack CarrollMatthew Cottrell
Corey DurdinOrazio Fantasia
Emergencies:Jaxon BinnsMarc PittonetLewis Young

Hollands a definite in?
Think he comes in for Cuningham or Owies (Unlicky) but have Owies behind Fogarty. I’d give DC the trip back to the twos and tell him he needs to get it 20 times and average a goal before he comes back in.
I play Motlop for one of Fantasia or Durdin, most likely Fantasia as he hasn’t hit the scoreboard as yet. Durdin starts as the sub again.

Fisher wouldn't even get a game with us if our injury list was three times as long. Cannot kick and played one to two good games for us. One against dogs and one against eagles. Other than that he was poor to fine most weeks.
Zac Fisher cannot kick? Think you're criticizing the wrong part of his game there.

Zac Fisher cannot kick? Think you're criticizing the wrong part of his game there.
I just remember his dinky low to ground kicks that missed targets? Maybe I'm wrong or just focussed on a few bad kicks. Hey I certainly couldn't do better. Is he regarded as a good kick?

I just remember his dinky low to ground kicks that missed targets? Maybe I'm wrong or just focussed on a few bad kicks. Hey I certainly couldn't do better. Is he regarded as a good kick?
I think that's why Clarko wanted him, he's at least a 'good' kick.

Think he comes in for Cuningham or Owies (Unlicky) but have Owies behind Fogarty. I’d give DC the trip back to the twos and tell him he needs to get it 20 times and average a goal before he comes back in.
I play Motlop for one of Fantasia or Durdin, most likely Fantasia as he hasn’t hit the scoreboard as yet. Durdin starts as the sub again.
Selection is getting really difficult.

I don’t see owies coming out. He would certainly be very unlucky to come out. He kicked 2 important goals. He may not do the flashy stuff but he has a knack for getting hit up on a lead and he’s pretty accurate kick.

Chugga was very good in that tense last quarter V Tigers.

Would not be throwing him out with the bath water .

Weiters for Young and Jessie for Orazio. That is all IMO.

Marchy needs at least a week in the magoos and Elijah has to earn his spot.
Totally agree, minimal changes. Orazio hasn't quite adjusted to our gamestyle yet, so a run in the magoo's on managed minutes wouldn't hurt.

Weiters for Young seems obvious, but imo he's probably a bit stiff. Had him in the votes in the Brissy game, and when I watched the Tiggs replay, didn't do a lot wrong against the umpire's golden boy.

I'd be starting Mots and Durds in the 22, and Cunners as the super sub for his added run late in the game.

Totally agree, minimal changes. Orazio hasn't quite adjusted to our gamestyle yet, so a run in the magoo's on managed minutes wouldn't hurt.

Weiters for Young seems obvious, but imo he's probably a bit stiff. Had him in the votes in the Brissy game, and when I watched the Tiggs replay, didn't do a lot wrong against the umpire's golden boy.

I'd be starting Mots and Durds in the 22, and Cunners as the super sub for his added run late in the game.
Yeah I don't mind the Cunners sub idea.

Can play a few roles and adds some toe after half time., having said that I thought Durdin was a good sub too!!

Match committee are facing some tough choices but reckon they have had a good idea what team structure they want.

Interesting that the Pitto hasn't been mentioned much. He represents a fair portion of the centre bounce strength we made our own last year.

If we want a third marking target (because no Martin), Kemp is always an option.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
This is a great option.
If a fit Marchy is the preference down back, Kemp has the capacity to be the ultimate utility.
With no SOS, Martin injured and not playing two rucks, kemp could slide In to being the perfect third tall, that and at an instant could change up with gov seamlessly in defence for 5-10mins as a change up.

Last edited:
Kennedy may or may not be the answer up forward to the loss of JSOS. But I would be reluctant to pull the pin on the plan so early.

I sort of feel the same about Fantasia. The guy hadn’t played football in a long time. He’s clearly still getting up to pace with things. I’d give him another opportunity.

Anyway, we’ll see what happens.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Outs: Young, Durdin, Fantasia
In: Weitering, Motlop, E Hollands

B: Newman Weitering Kemp
JB: Williams McGovern Saad
C: Cottrell Cripps Acres
HF: E Hollands McKay Fogarty
F: Motlop Curnow Owies
R: De Koning Hewett Cerra

Int: Kennedy O Hollands Boyd Carroll

Sub: Cuningham

Rationale: First, I didn't see what others saw with Durdin in his last quarter cameo last week. 2 disposals, 2 pressure acts and 0 tackles isn't putting him ahead of Owies who had 2 goals, 4 tackles and 12 pressure acts across a full game. I also don't see how we can go into a game with Durdin, Motlop, Owies and Fogarty in our forward half.

Kennedy has been sub-par admittedly, but he is playing a role. He is making contests in the forward half and he is sacrificing himself as a Grigg type ruck at some stoppages. It's the SOS role and Elijah Hollands isn't that.

Cuningham did have 17 pressure acts, but for someone who spent 62% of his game in the defensive half against Richmond, 1 rebound 50 isn't doing a lot. He's a little down on productivity, but his pace coming on later in the game makes him an ideal sub, through injury or strategy.

It leaves us with a bench consisting of a mid/forward, an outside mid, a small defender/rebounder, and a contested mid. It's a pretty good mix for mine. Then a sub who can come on as a mid or a small forward.

I trust Weitering without a Young or Marchbank safety net, but we have seen the club use Marchbank as a sub before. Ollie Hollands has been down, but no way we bring his brother in and drop him.

Yeah I don't mind the Cunners sub idea.

Can play a few roles and adds some toe after half time., having said that I thought Durdin was a good sub too!!

Match committee are facing some tough choices but reckon they have had a good idea what team structure they want.

Interesting that the Pitto hasn't been mentioned much. He represents a fair portion of the centre bounce strength we made our own last year.
Pitto played in the scratch match against the Tiggs a few weeks back. Still looks short of a gallop after missing a fair chunk of preseason, although he came into the game in the 2nd half with his signature crash and bash.

We know that Vossy likes having the 2 ruck combo, but right now it'll likely be TDK with big H pinch hitting. Which seems to be working nicely up until Harry starts copping some raised knees from oppo rucks - then I'm tipping it'll be time for a re-think.

Chugga was very good in that tense last quarter V Tigers.

Would not be throwing him out with the bath water .

Weiters for Young and Jessie for Orazio. That is all IMO.

Marchy needs at least a week in the magoos and Elijah has to earn his spot.

I feel that Elijah had earned his spot in the preseason and would have played Round 0 if not suspended. Definitely has an ingredient we lack with Walsh out. Gut running and good distribution instincts, plus the ability to go forward.

With a full/fit list to choose from we have a two players that play in d50 that are good f50 options…

Gov definitely can play up front….good hands and good kick. And has good footy IQ to make things happen.

Kemp is the other.…similar to gov but with better springs…maybe slightly bigger body too.

I’m not saying we move both up. Only one occasionally moves up when our normal forwards aren’t making things happen.

Incredibly interested to see how they balance the forwards with Hollands and Motlop available.

Are Kennedy and Hollands both the third-tall? Or does Hollands need to push Cotts out of the half-forward role? Or perhaps comes in for Cuningham?

Shame Martin isn’t fit; he’s the third marking player who just makes it work with his smart leading. A much more natural forward than Kennedy.
Kennedy and Elijah Hollands have always been competing for a spot in this team IMO and it seems you agree: they're more similar than not, with Hollands having more outside polish and less aerial talent.

I think he'll be fine as a general forward rotating into the middle, and failing that we have Cottrell, who is arguably better than both of them in a marking contest on current form.

Kennedy and Elijah Hollands have always been competing for a spot in this team IMO and it seems you agree: they're more similar than not, with Hollands having more outside polish and less aerial talent.

I think he'll be fine as a general forward rotating into the middle, and failing that we have Cottrell, who is arguably better than both of them in a marking contest on current form.

Kennedy is playing the SOS role, and Hollands is a hybrid capable of playing the Martin role. They can play together. When Martin is back, there may be a change.

Kennedy is playing the SOS role, and Hollands is a hybrid capable of playing the Martin role. They can play together. When Martin is back, there may be a change.
I feel like we stand to get more out of the other forwards throughout the game, and Kennedy stands to get more out of midfield minutes in the VFL.

Would much rather see Cuningham or Hollands getting opportunities to run into that much space. SOS also laid a lot more tackles and had a lot more pressure acts in open play.

Based on the injury list update:

B: McGovern Weitering Newman
HB: Williams Kemp Saad
C: O.Hollands Cripps Acres
HF: E.Hollands McKay Motlop
F: Owies Curnow Kennedy
OB: TDK Cerra Hewett
IC: Boyd, Carroll, Cottrell, Fogarty
Sub: Cunningham

So
Out: Fantasia, Young, Durdin
In: Motlop, Weitering, Hollands

Fog vs Cunners sub is flip of a coin

So

How good is that backline. E Hollands will debut for us this week.

So

I like this side but think Cunners will remain best 22 until Walsh back.

Outs: Young, Durdin, Fantasia
In: Weitering, Motlop, E Hollands

B: Newman Weitering Kemp
JB: Williams McGovern Saad
C: Cottrell Cripps Acres
HF: E Hollands McKay Fogarty
F: Motlop Curnow Owies
R: De Koning Hewett Cerra

Int: Kennedy O Hollands Boyd Carroll

Sub: Cuningham

Rationale: "....... I also don't see how we can go into a game with Durdin, Motlop, Owies and Fogarty in our forward half........"

same problem I have - and then there is also Fantasia to consider.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back