Analysis Father Son Selections

Remove this Banner Ad

The Romero's were not happy with how Michael was not drafted despite assurances he would be. Bit of bad blood there
I find it very hard to believe that we'd give draft assurances to 177cm players with underwhelming statistics in the TAC Cup and who we also had the opportunity to look at as the VFL 23rd man in 2016. Maybe there was crossed wires or something but even still I have a hard time believing that.

I find it very hard to believe that we'd give draft assurances to 177cm players with underwhelming statistics in the TAC Cup and who we also had the opportunity to look at as the VFL 23rd man in 2016. Maybe there was crossed wires or something but even still I have a hard time believing that.

Only going by what I was told from a family member.

The dogs were 100% right to not draft him but that's the story; they gave assurances that they would draft him, but they didn't.

Only going by what I was told from a family member.

The dogs were 100% right to not draft him but that's the story; they gave assurances that they would draft him, but they didn't.
I don't doubt that's what you recall a family member telling you (perhaps after time and lost whispers and wishful thinking and the emotional investment of being a player who was invited to combines etc.). There would have obviously been some conversations relating to being drafted regarding the player and the club but obviously people's memories play tricks on them let alone words being interpreted different ways etc.

But I very much doubt our very high quality draft team at the time would be as foolish as to assure they would draft a player who never had the physical profile or underlying performance to make it at AFL level, had the opportunity to be on a VFL list but was only picked for two games the following year (ie wasn't actually that good to be picked). It's just not a thing clubs do.

I don't doubt that's what you recall a family member telling you (perhaps after time and lost whispers and wishful thinking and the emotional investment of being a player who was invited to combines etc.). There would have obviously been some conversations relating to being drafted regarding the player and the club but obviously people's memories play tricks on them let alone words being interpreted different ways etc.

But I very much doubt our very high quality draft team at the time would be as foolish as to assure they would draft a player who never had the physical profile or underlying performance to make it at AFL level, had the opportunity to be on a VFL list but was only picked for two games the following year (ie wasn't actually that good to be picked). It's just not a thing clubs do.
Inclined to agree.

And this is not the first time we've heard such claims (IIRC). Sure, the club would want to keep juniors and their parents interested while they are in their pre-draft years, in case they suddenly blossom in that year as Darcy did, or as Bont did nearly a decade earlier. So they'd be saying lots of positive things over the years which might be interpreted by the family as "he's going to get drafted!"

But it would be both irresponsible and cruel to tell them they would definitely be getting drafted if they knew it was unlikely. It's hard to imagine the club doing that, but I guess we can't rule it out completely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably the first time in 24 years of operation that Canadian university sports Volleyball has come up on this website. Not a topic a lot of us have any familiarity or interest with!

Probably the first time in 24 years of operation that Canadian university sports Volleyball has come up on this website. Not a topic a lot of us have any familiarity or interest with!

As a reasonably capable, but ultimately vertically-challenged volleyballer in my younger years, I'm aware of the profile of volleyball in other countries.

Given Mitchell's accomplishments and now with an o/s profile, far less likely he ever returns to footy, or at least anytime soon. Like the Liberatore twins, destined to succeed in different sporting spheres.

206 or 207 cm. Maybe he’ll want to come back to footy someday.

Perfectly set up to come across for free as a Cat B rookie later. 7ft wingspan too!

Don't hold your breath, unfortunately. If he moves into US or European competition (or less likely somewhere like Brazil), the (volleyball) world is his oyster. ☹

As a reasonably capable, but ultimately vertically-challenged volleyballer in my younger years, I'm aware of the profile of volleyball in other countries.

Given Mitchell's accomplishments and now with an o/s profile, far less likely he ever returns to footy, or at least anytime soon. Like the Liberatore twins, destined to succeed in different sporting spheres.
He's presumably a good enough player that he'll be a permanent fixture in the national team once his college career finishes?

All this talk of him being a cat B rookie is a bit funny in that context (agreeing with your point). It's not James O'Donnell being a talented young son-of-a-former-international cricketer who was picked for Victorian underage squads and thought he woudl give a professional cricket career a crack, but between the ages of 16-17 (when he presumably had to make a choice between the two sports) and 21 he didn't come on as a player and topped out as 'merely' a semi-professional premier cricketer. It's not Alex Keath as an extremely talented young cricketer (part of an Australian U19 WC winning squad and signed professional at that age) that flames out of the system and by the time he's in his mid 20's is barely good enough to get a professional cricket contract anywhere in the world.

He'll be part of an AIS funded program (as he was when he was a teenager) that allows him to be full-time professional and have the privilege of representing their nation in one of the globe's most popular Olympic team sports, in which Australia at least has a moderately successful team. Basically every country in the world plays Volleyball and Australia is 35th in the world rankings.

.. be full-time professional and have the privilege of representing their nation in one of the globe's most popular Olympic team sports, in which Australia at least has a moderately successful team. Basically every country in the world plays Volleyball and Australia is 35th in the world rankings.
But he could be playing full time professional footy for the team ranked 9th in the world in 2023!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back