List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon Hayward is waiting for us to make an offer and if it's decent, he'll take it.

The situation of us matching a bid for him as a free agent won't arise because we will not be offering as much as another club. The decision will be Will's whether to stay or pursue a better offer. If he goes, we will mostly likely get a second rounder which won't be far off pick 36 or, best case scenario, end of first rounder (which would pair nicely with our other end of first rounder).

If Hayward decides to leave we could always have a crack at Tyson Stengle

I reckon Hayward is waiting for us to make an offer and if it's decent, he'll take it.

The situation of us matching a bid for him as a free agent won't arise because we will not be offering as much as another club. The decision will be Will's whether to stay or pursue a better offer. If he goes, we will mostly likely get a second rounder which won't be far off pick 36 or, best case scenario, end of first rounder (which would pair nicely with our other end of first rounder).
Doesn't it also depend on the how much the other teams contract is in regards to which band of compo we get?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coates League games this weekend for the Draft Watchers

Poor Dyl Stephens is copping it over on the North board. It got me thinking about our 2019 pick-ups. We took Dyl, Gould, Elijah Taylor and Chad in the main draft. Rowles and Maibaum (delisted then rookied) in the rookie draft and Barry O'Connor as an international Cat B. Picked up Brand and Gray as FA. Traded Lewie Taylor in. To cap it off, brought in Knoll and Hirst in the MSD of that year. Only Chad is left.

Not sure what our recruiters were smoking in 2019 although I guess one could argue the recruiting of Chad at 39 makes all the other dubious selections worth it..........

Poor Dyl Stephens is copping it over on the North board. It got me thinking about our 2019 pick-ups. We took Dyl, Gould, Elijah Taylor and Chad in the main draft. Rowles and Maibaum (delisted then rookied) in the rookie draft and Barry O'Connor as an international Cat B. Picked up Brand and Gray as FA. Traded Lewie Taylor in. To cap it off, brought in Knoll and Hirst in the MSD of that year. Only Chad is left.

Not sure what our recruiters were smoking in 2019 although I guess one could argue the recruiting of Chad at 39 makes all the other dubious selections worth it..........
Not sure why they single him out, plenty of passengers in that team

Wow, that drafting is shocking. Chad is only papering over the cracks.

Lucky we've nailed a few around that abomination

Still burning on Elijah. Rekn he would've been our next Micky O.

With Rowbottom signing on for another four seasons, leaves 18 players who have contracts expiring at the end of this 2024 season. Of those, my personal opinion in importance of re-signings:

Tier 1: Gulden
2: McDonald, Florent.
3: Melican, Fox, Hayward, Cunningham
4: Francis

I don't envisage Reid going on for another season. The remaining nine are all young and I have not watched that much of them to rank. Still a lot of the season to go, could see that order changing. For example if Melican stays fit and has a good season, would move him up to tier 2.

EDIT: And of course at least three from list will have to make way for this years recruits. I think the only near certainty to come off the list is Reid to retire. After that, a few of the younger guys will be sweating it to impress to be offered another contract, along with Francis too. Due to their age, possibly Fox and Cunningham too but I would like both of them back.

Last edited:

Taylor was the biggest waste. Had his head been screwed on, he'd be a very very successful AFL footballer right now.

Taylor was the biggest waste. Had his head been screwed on, he'd be a very very successful AFL footballer right now.
Still think we should've given him an opportunity to redeem himself. Young indigenous kid thrust into the limelight during the utter bs that was covid. Multiple opportunities have been given to transgressions by other players and coaches since. A huge wake up call and support from the club could've turned him into a better person and ripper player.

Still think we should've given him an opportunity to redeem himself. Young indigenous kid thrust into the limelight during the utter bs that was covid. Multiple opportunities have been given to transgressions by other players and coaches since. A huge wake up call and support from the club could've turned him into a better person and ripper player.
From memory he was given chances. He wasn't let go after his first offence, which I'm sure the club would have laid out the law in no uncertain terms. When he was let go, it was something the club couldn't stand for and I don't doubt the club made the right call in any way. It's just a shame he couldn't pull himself together.

Maibum had a really rough go of it did an ACL and had a family tragedy as well. Thought he was tracking well just didn't get that chance in the 1's.
Elijah was just a waste and a young man who had everything going for him with a potential long career in AFL. But the spousal abuse was a step to far and I don't think the club had any option but to cut him.

From memory he was given chances. He wasn't let go after his first offence, which I'm sure the club would have laid out the law in no uncertain terms. When he was let go, it was something the club couldn't stand for and I don't doubt the club made the right call in any way. It's just a shame he couldn't pull himself together.
He had 2 transgressions that occured at the same time. Either way I think it happened during a period where clubs and the world in general were playing in a cesspool of moral high ground gymnastics, internal reviews, trying to find accountability in anything and everything. Has cooled off quite a bit since.

I can see both sides in this. Damned if you did damned if you didn't but the club clearly took the wipe their hands clean for the media and sponsors option. Clubs have since refused to give in to that pressure and players and coaches are now coming out the other side successful and forgiven. Even tarryn Thomas was given 99 chances, and I rekn one last chance wasn't too far off in considerations either.

Imo the club went too early on that call and left the kid in the lurch. Everyone reaps what they sow, but clubs also have a responsibilty to intervene, support and rehabilitate for the benefit of both parties.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back