Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2002
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles
Eagles v Pies- GBU

Hope you enjoy a rather rushed GBU for this week- I forgot to ask a Collingwood fan to do their bit, so its a bit reduced.

(Reading from the Book of Woosha, chapter 2, Round 8.)
..And so it came to pass that the 22 disciples of Woosha found themselves facing the black and white abyss of defeat. And as the three quarter siren sounded, Woosha went down unto the disciples, and ministered unto them, and said: Be not dismayed, lads, for I have not brought thee to this poorly surfaced wilderness to suffer defeat. Believe in thyselves, as surely as thou'st believeth in me. Run hard, good long kicks out of the centre, and tackle the bastards if they even have a sniff of the pill. Do these things in my name, and ye shall triumph. Do them not, and Jako shalt kick thou asses when thou returnest.
Disciple #32 heard Woosha sayest these things, and he wept, saying- 'Master, we are tired. Our feet art swollen, and our run hath dried up. Also, the umpires hath sodomized us all day. How can we do these things that you ask?'
At this, Woosha was consumed with great wrath, and said: Embers, quit being such a pussy. Ye shall find the will to do these things, and in doing so, ye shall be a beacon unto others. Yea, I shall make thee the instrument of my will. Now get out there and vanquish them, or I shalt bitch slap ye so hard that I shalt smite thou halfway to Perth!
And Disciple #32 heard these words, and was filled with great fear and new energy, and he went out onto the field and moved amongst the followers of the Dark Lord Mick, and smote many of them, and gathered many possessions and kicked several goals. And even as Woosha had said, the disciples triumphed, and returned to Perth. And Disciple #32 even managed to get the number of the daughter of Dark Lord Mick when she spake unto him after the game, and he resolved to return soon and convert her to the bright way of blue and gold.

We are officially in the mix. This weekend, the Eagles flew to Victoria with a bevy of out of sorts core players, a pygmy forward line and a 3 game winning streak to back up. They'll head back home with a blistering first quarter, a gutsy win, and a huge amount of respect.

The Good
How much balls did our team have today? If I were a literal type, I'd suggest West Coast had roughly forty four (+ 2 for the coach) but for the sake of the metaphor I'll settle for ****loads.

Andrew Embley was without a doubt best on ground, capping off an excellent year so far with a career high performance. He was in everything- started strongly in the midfield, spent some time mopping up in defence, and was the spark that ignited our fight back in the dying minutes of the game, kicking one goal from a juggled pack mark, and snapping an absolute blinder whilst being swung in a tackle. Embley's workrate this year has been impressive, but what I've really liked is the fact that in the three close games we've fought this year (Hawks, Cats, and this one) he's lifted when crunch time arrived. Can't wait to see him play finals.

Gardiner also impressed, working incredibly hard all day. I had a dose of flu this week, and I'm still spending most of my time hunkered down on the lounge with half a box of tissues up my nose and a packet of strepsils handy. Gardie also had the flu, but that didn't stop him from wheeling out another dominant ruck performance, some sterling around the ground work and an inspirational running goal. (his first for the year!)

Cousins looks to have shaken his injury concerns, and played close to peak form. He was quality all day and simply invincible in the first quarter. He was assisted by Kerr and Judd, the latter had what could be best described as a low volume/high impact game- not a huge number of touches, but every one of them a winner, including three classic Judd goals.
Aside from these leading lights in the midfield, its also worth mentioning Michael Braun. If anyone actually pays attention to my ramblings over the weeks, they might get the impression that I'm a bit anti-Braun. After this game, I'm a bit of a convert, actually. Brauny was gutsy, particularly when it counted in the final quarter. He knows no fear when marking, and provided crucial run for us- his running goal echoed the sealer he kicked last week. Furthermore, I love the fashion statement Braun makes by just wearing the single black and silver glove- its sort of like having Michael Jackson coming off the interchange bench for us.

Aside from Embley, noone really dominated up forward. Rowan Jones was lively, taking some outstanding marks, setting up several goals but spraying his kicking all over the place. Sampi continued to impress- he actually looks a lot better when playing at half forward, where his skills, decision making & tackling means he sets up as many as he kicks- case in point was his outstanding pick pocket job on a Collingwood player in the last quarter. Hunter toiled hard out of his size and weight division at CHF, kicking truly in the final term when we needed it most.

In defence, Wirrpunda slotted back into the side like he never left, and played a truly outstanding game. Wirrpunda backed himself to run off Leon Davis time after time (ok, anyone who bothers to play Leon Neon tight is a bit of an idiot) and continually dropped in front of Collingwood forwards to take marks. His kicking was artistry personified- his usual combination of exquisitely placed chip kicks, and some jaw droppingly huge torpedos, some of which travelled 70-80m. Having a guy who can place the ball anywhere between himself and the centre square on kick ins gives us a huge tactical advantage on kick ins, and even if it didn't, I reckon Wirra deserves some sort of merit award for being the only guy left in the league with the bottle to bring out the torp in general play.
Kasey Green was also strong in defence, whilst Banfield, Carroll and McIntosh toiled hard against quality opposition all day. Glass deserves props for a decent effort (and thoroughly filthy scrag job) on Tarrant which kept Collingwood's most dangerous forward to a single goal, assisted of course by some diabolical kicking on Taz's part.
The Hummer also had an interesting one- he struggled early on, until midway through the final term, he copped a elbow in the face from a heavy Rocca bump. Ths seemed to sort Humm out good and proper, and after that, he lifted his game and played some pretty impressive defensive football, with several tough marks in defence and a sledgehammer tackle he seems to have been copying off Chick. The fact that he actually improved out of sight after getting a heavy knock on the head probably tells you everything you need to know about Humm- he just needed a bit of a dong on the noggin to wake him up!

The Bad
Great as this win was, in some ways it was really a loss with 4 points attached. Both this week and last, we've put ourselves in situations where the game could have gone either way- this time round it should have never happened- after the scintillating first quarter, we simply stopped, and by midway through the last, we were 15 points down, and on the bring of what would have been an enormously humiliating defeat. A combination of grit, class, and terror of Worsfold doing his nut on the plane home saw us snatch the game back, but there are some lessons that need to be learned from this game.

Cox failed to provide any meaningful backup for Gardiner, and Gardie was again forced to shoulder the load down the stretch. This is not going to cut it against Richmond next week- they have an okay ruck, and expecting Gardiner to take them apart for four quarters is a big ask. Cox needs to find some form, and fast- its not as if we don't have several rucking grunts cooling their heels in the WAFL. Of the on ballers, Fletch had a quiet day but it should be noted that Collingwood were sacrificing a matchup with Cousins to tag Chad.

For extended periods, the forward line simply did not function.
Haynes continued his poor form, and was missing all day. Even if he does set up several goals (which he didn't) even if his defensive pressure was fantastic (which it wasn't), and even if his second efforts were great (which they weren't) even if you can cite any number of strange unquantifiable reasons why he is really good value at Full Forward, it doesn't change the fundamental problem with his game. A Full Forward's job is to kick goals. If he doesn't kick goals, the rest of his game isn't relevant. For the same reason that McKee's ability to gather the ball out of packs doesn't make him a good ruckman, all of Haynes' other attributes mean squat if he doesn't lead, mark, and kick through the big sticks. At this stage, he looks like he'll be a good FF in a year or so once he gets a bit more meat on his frame, but in his current form he's a liability. At present, in: T. Wilson, Out: D. Haynes, or at least away from FF to the HF flank.

Matera had a quiet day by this year's standards (and still finished with 2 goals, which says what sort of year he's having) and potent as he's been, we shouldn't rely on him to kick big scores each week. Yes, we still kicked a decent score, but where did they come from? Of our 18 goals, 5 were from full time forwards (Matera, Sampi, Hunter) whereas Collingwood forwards kicked 9 of their 15 goals. Put simply we kicked a winning score because our midfield dominated. If the opposition just breaks even in the midfield, suddenly we're in trouble.
I don't buy the 'we're leading the AFL in goals kicked, so there's nothing wrong up forward.' We've got the best 2 centre clearance combos in the competition in Gardie/Cuz and Gardie/Fletch, the ball goes into our attacking zone very frequently- if we weren't leading the league in goals kicked, there'd be something very wrong. Put simply, our midfield is that good that its doing enough work to cover for our forwards- when we're not thrashing teams out of the centre like we weren't during the middle part of this game, we struggle.

In defence, the lack of Jako showed, as we struggled to find the body to match up on Rocca. Milli was on him for the bulk of the day, but he couldn't get anywhere near him on the lead. His game was still pretty good, but after some very tough assignments over the last few rounds he looks pretty buggered. I'd want him fit as a fiddle to take on Lloyd in a fortnight's time, so it probably wouldn't hurt to give him a week off- with Glass's good effort this week, now could be the time.

The Ugly
We continue to get a pretty average run with injuries, with Chick going down. I don't think we've put our optimum best 22 on the park at any time this year, given our record, this could be seen as a good thing I suppose. Ideally, we'll hold it together, keep winning, and really hit our straps in a couple of months time. If we do lift above how we're playing now, Fear Us.

The umpiring was of the eccentric sort which saw both sides alternatively getting away with murder and then being raped. The decision which had me absolutely livid was the sequence which saw Wirrpunda pinged for supposedly stepping out of the goal square on the kick in (which he didn'), and then, to top it off, the subsequent bounce in the goal square was so bad that it missed both ruckmen and landed in the arms of a Collingwood player about ten metres away. Wrong Decison, Bad Bounce = goal to collingwood.

I'll save you my regular rant about channel 10 commentators. You saw it, you know what I'm on about. Farkin hell though, hopefully next year West Coast's fixture request will be a load of games on Fridays and Sundays, so we can actually listen to Cometti for a change. A special GBU '**** you' goes to Peter Daicos for his heart broken 'oh no!' when Embley slotted his awesome goal. Oh Yes, Daics, Oh Yes. However, Channel 10 almost made up for their entire shoddy coverage with a close up (yeargh!) two second shot of a sulking Joffa after we sealed the game. Made my day :)

Thanks Mead - good effort as ever.

On Haynes, I know where you're coming from (though Frodo will be sharpening his pro-Haynes pencil as we speak), but I'm almost sure a part of the problem is our midfield.

Our midfield is generally outstanding at winning the ball, but the delivery is pretty inaccurate, particularly when we have time to think. When we win the ball and just kick it, the defence has no time to react and our fast runners get to the ball, mark and hopefully goal. This accounts for many of the goals that Phil Matera has kicked this year. It's not that he's our "go-to" player or that we're specifically kicking to him, it's just that we've kicked it into roughly the right area and he gets there to mark. Samps too.

When players like Braun (the biggest culprit, though you've got to love his effort), Fletcher (though he's improved this year), Cousins (only weakness in his game and he did one excellent footpass to a leading forward yesterday that I remember) and Embley get the ball as it's run through the lines and have a chance to think, they take slightly too long, then kick it over the head of the leading FF.

My evidence for this is just about every game Wilson's played, but it's also happening to Haynes. In the first half yesterday, it happened several times (after half time, I won't be accountable for my analysis owing to Jim Beam plus excitement).

Haynes leads well - good long leads up the centre - and has a strong pair of marking hands. His second efforts at FF have been marginally better than Wilson's this year. But he's not a FF. And he's an inconsistent set shot for goal - but most of us are.

But - bearing in mind my thoughts about the midfield, I suspect that weakness in disposal by foot has helped Haynes to retain his place over Wilson so far.

I appreciate that I've offered no solution. I don't have one. I think Woosha's persisting with this small forward line and a leading Haynes to see if it can work sustainably.

One thought - The Mighty Q Lynch started the year in the back line for West Perth, being groomed to take over from Jako at CHB we all nodded wisely. Then, all of a sudden, he's playing up forward for West Perth. The Eagles must have told Darren Harris to play him up there for a few weeks and it wouldn't surprise to see him get a game in a couple of weeks if Haynes doesn't score a few.

The good: Winning in Melbourne & coming back from the dead

The bad: umpiring. I'm sure Banfield got his boot to that. Wasn't sure if Wirra overstepped, and then the bounce.

The ugly: Shane O'Bree. He looks like a witch.

I think a big kudos has to go to our coaching staff for our flying start. To somehow get Lokan on Cousins was a master stroke while Chick countered Buckley and the others seemed confused on who to match up on or how closely to play them.

Great review for a great game!!
The Good: We came away with the four points and were able to fight back into the game
The Bad: The fact we let the Pes back into the game
Ugly: Anthony Rocca!

LOL LOL LOL!!! Love it!!! Specially the part about Jako. You can really imagine Woosha calling Embers a pussy at 3/4 time!! As Meady and I were suggesting that this woulda been the kind of thing woosha would have said at 3/4 time:

If you dont man up, I'll kill yer!
If you dont run hard I'll kill yer!
If you dont kick long, I'll kill yer!
Infact if yer dont win! I'll kill yer!
Ya got that?????

[/B]I'll save you my regular rant about channel 10 commentators. You saw it, you know what I'm on about. Farkin hell though, hopefully next year West Coast's fixture request will be a load of games on Fridays and Sundays, so we can actually listen to Cometti for a change. A special GBU '**** you' goes to Peter Daicos for his heart broken 'oh no!' when Embley slotted his awesome goal. Oh Yes, Daics, Oh Yes. However, Channel 10 almost made up for their entire shoddy coverage with a close up (yeargh!) two second shot of a sulking Joffa after we sealed the game. Made my day :) [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah i was ****ing ****ed off about the commentary! They are pathetic!! I loved the Joffa footage- sucked in yer pricks!!!
If you listened to tripple M..Sam Newman was blatantly obvious that he wanted the pies to win! How ridiculous! The boys really stuck it up em in the end! For that i couldnt be prouder!

Mead, once again, great. Never fail to get a chortle from your GBU`s.

Glad that Brauny is pushing you to the verge of conversion, he`s one of my very favourites in Eagleland.

steves back to do a GBU

i haven't been on these boards since last year so i decided after going to my first game this year (missed the melbourne one and wasn't happy) i thought i might share of some of my experience...

it was a very entertaining game and i thoroughly enjoyed myself (would have been totally different opinion if we didn't come back and win)

GOOD:

Gardiner - this guy is a legend. what a start he had. he got us outta the blocks setting up a lot of those 6 goals. especially the first few. he is by far the best ruckman in the league at the moment and putting a second rate ruckman like mckee on him just highlights this

Wirrpunda - time and time again he plugged the gap in our backline. when there was a one on one he just slotted in and took. invaluable and that huge 60metre kick into the centre was legendary.

Embley - personally i thought the forward structure was fine and i reckon sharing it around is more of a plus for the team than a negative for separate players who don't kick a bag. phil matera tried hard as did many others. it was embley in the end who managed to kick a couple to get us up to win

Telstra Dome - no problems getting in but going out obviously was a crush

Footy Show - how many eagles supporters in the audience!!! woooooooohooooooooo

BAD:

McKee & Cox - neither of them are up to scratch. come on coxy, we need some backup, gardi can't do it alll day, hes only human. mckee is worthless for the cfc

Jakovich's respiratory trouble - one of the few premiership guys still left and i missed out on seeing him. get well soon mate.

Our Diminishing Lead - we always looked like losing that game, you can call it "character" to win as many media have but we were always looking like getting beaten by 5 goals. we need to play like we did in the first 20 and last 10 minutes if we are gonna win some footy

UGLY:

Umpiring - i saw a couple of bad decisions in this erratic game, firstly that thing in the centre where kerr bumped really hard in the head, and secondly obviously that wirrpunda decision, i was down that end and he was out by about 2 cms, it was very small but on replays later i saw he was out but the bounce, how can they get away with that, right in front of goal

Commentary - i'm used to the bias living in melbourne and so its just a fact of life, every single melbourne media outlet was covering the game, and every single commentator was going for collingwood, from 3aw to triple m to abc, to channel 10... one thing i never under stand is how they say that 39k supporters were all collingwood i was near the eagles cheer squad and there was a good coupla k there and we were definitely hearable, and i could constantly hear the eagles chant on the tv replays i watched. and when i left the ground there were eagles everywhere. obviously not as much as pies supporters but there were lots.

Malted Mickshake - made some very brash comments about Barra this week didn't he, what was with that. that got a bit ugly eh

overall a great game and fabulous to watch and finally, yes finally melbourne media are starting to think twice about those eagles. every week everyone always tips against us in melbourne, even if we are half good, they will start changing their opinions now

premiership is our way soon!

and to finish off, i alter a banner saying that we had quite a few ago when we played the pies

"yes, we knew the 40 hour famine was on, but we just couldn't resist feasting on the pies"

steve rat

Re: steves back to do a GBU

Originally posted by steve_rat
i haven't been on these boards since last year so i decided after going to my first game this year (missed the melbourne one and wasn't happy) i thought i might share of some of my experience...

it was a very entertaining game and i thoroughly enjoyed myself (would have been totally different opinion if we didn't come back and win)

GOOD:

Gardiner - this guy is a legend. what a start he had. he got us outta the blocks setting up a lot of those 6 goals. especially the first few. he is by far the best ruckman in the league at the moment and putting a second rate ruckman like mckee on him just highlights this

Wirrpunda - time and time again he plugged the gap in our backline. when there was a one on one he just slotted in and took. invaluable and that huge 60metre kick into the centre was legendary.

Embley - personally i thought the forward structure was fine and i reckon sharing it around is more of a plus for the team than a negative for separate players who don't kick a bag. phil matera tried hard as did many others. it was embley in the end who managed to kick a couple to get us up to win

Telstra Dome - no problems getting in but going out obviously was a crush

Footy Show - how many eagles supporters in the audience!!! woooooooohooooooooo

BAD:

McKee & Cox - neither of them are up to scratch. come on coxy, we need some backup, gardi can't do it alll day, hes only human. mckee is worthless for the cfc

Jakovich's respiratory trouble - one of the few premiership guys still left and i missed out on seeing him. get well soon mate.

Our Diminishing Lead - we always looked like losing that game, you can call it "character" to win as many media have but we were always looking like getting beaten by 5 goals. we need to play like we did in the first 20 and last 10 minutes if we are gonna win some footy

UGLY:

Umpiring - i saw a couple of bad decisions in this erratic game, firstly that thing in the centre where kerr bumped really hard in the head, and secondly obviously that wirrpunda decision, i was down that end and he was out by about 2 cms, it was very small but on replays later i saw he was out but the bounce, how can they get away with that, right in front of goal

Commentary - i'm used to the bias living in melbourne and so its just a fact of life, every single melbourne media outlet was covering the game, and every single commentator was going for collingwood, from 3aw to triple m to abc, to channel 10... one thing i never under stand is how they say that 39k supporters were all collingwood i was near the eagles cheer squad and there was a good coupla k there and we were definitely hearable, and i could constantly hear the eagles chant on the tv replays i watched. and when i left the ground there were eagles everywhere. obviously not as much as pies supporters but there were lots.

Malted Mickshake - made some very brash comments about Barra this week didn't he, what was with that. that got a bit ugly eh

overall a great game and fabulous to watch and finally, yes finally melbourne media are starting to think twice about those eagles. every week everyone always tips against us in melbourne, even if we are half good, they will start changing their opinions now

premiership is our way soon!

and to finish off, i alter a banner saying that we had quite a few ago when we played the pies

"yes, we knew the 40 hour famine was on, but we just couldn't resist feasting on the pies"

steve rat

Welcome back Steve Rat! Long time no post hey??

Re: steves back to do a GBU

Originally posted by steve_rat

steve rat

Jako's ticker is the problem, not his lungs

Dont know what Malthouse said but im sure it couldntve been that bad. Surely youre not referring to his comments about the Perth media fishbowl, I agree with him, the whole thing was blown up out of proportion. As if there isnt a spy from every club at every training session. They made it look like a brand new under-handed tactic. Its been going on for years.

I've had my two cents about our FF line before, but after that game, I'll have it again. We need a marking target in the forward 50, and at this point in time, it should not be David Haynes.

let me explain. We won because our midfield dominated when it counts, but in the middle two quarters, when it was a 50/50 game, our entry into the forward 50, was as if Willow was playing.

Having the small mobile forward line works a treat when you can pin point a 30m stab pass into space, to a leading Fido or Snoop. After all, who can stop either of them when they have space on a lead?? Looks brilliant eh?

But what happens when you can't pin point the pass, when you go long and high into the forawrd line? Well witness the middle two quarters of Saturday's game.

(pay attention now)

We constantly, CONSTANTLY went long, kicking as if the players we were kicking towards were capable of taking a big strong mark. Problem was, the players we kicked towards were Fido, Snoop, Jones etc... People say we are too Willow orientated when he plays, everything gets directed towards his leads, but we were playing as if he was playing.

Now, Jones and Embley took some strong marks, but can we rely on them to do that when the crunch comes? Will Embers be in the F50 for the rest of the season? (the marking on Embers was woeful at best, Cole and Lonie I think)

When the game is in the balance, and our midfield isn't dominating, we need to take these chances, that we did have, and convert.

And if the forward line is working so well, then why was the game so close? I've always said (this season), blaming haynes isn't the way to go, by all means leave him in the F50, but he can't take a pack mark, and none of the players who occupy that space currently, can.

So the answer, well we have three, and I said the same thing last week, but I was so fooking angry during the game, I promised myself I'd write this rant regardless of the result. We have to bring in either the TRAIN, the HULK, or HOWSER.

I know that Howser won't take the pack marks yet, but he will go some way towards solving the problem.

ohh, and we need someone with Chick's balls to play if he doesn't come up. Wooden??

and wouldn't it be great to see the Train demolish a few more packs??

rant over

thegur

(Log in to remove this ad.)

and someone who has seen Howser play a bit ... is he agile for a big man?

seems that people run with the line "Wilson's second efforts aren't good .... once he misses the mark he is useless" etc... thus Haynes is our only option at FF.

I think that Howser is quite a bit different, am I making the right assumption? could he be the answer?

or do we play with a FF who has the same impact as Saturday?

thegur

Originally posted by thegur
and someone who has seen Howser play a bit ... is he agile for a big man?

Kind of but he isn't that good at ground level.

Originally posted by thegur I think that Howser is quite a bit different, am I making the right assumption? could he be the answer?

To be honest I don't think he is in our coaches thinking at the moment. Gasper is better atm and will play before him every time. He is a long term solution though, if he can stay fit... Don't forget he is still only 19/20. Some players like Hadrill and Fevola have only started playing good footy at 22/23.

thanks carlyp. nice to be welcomed

and you know heart lungs same thing eh? hehe. yeah i know its totally different but i was confused over which coz of all this talk over lungs and with prestis condition (presti, i sound like a pies supporter erg. hehe)

and malted mickshake thing, he said:

He (Barich) probably has no friends, so it’s a shame. He certainly has very few on this table.

full story

just for ole times sake

092714ab.jpg

so howd you guys like my GBU, its my first ever

steve

Originally posted by Sera

To be honest I don't think he is in our coaches thinking at the moment. Gasper is better atm and will play before him every time. He is a long term solution though, if he can stay fit... Don't forget he is still only 19/20. Some players like Hadrill and Fevola have only started playing good footy at 22/23. [/B]

By all means, I agree, Travis is our first choice tall forward and was quite good when fit this season. But is he going to be ready for Richmond??

And is he going to play deep in the forward line? Perhaps if Jak is at CHF .. who knows ... thoughts?

thegur

p.s good gbu mead

our forward line went to **** yesterday. it was our midfield that won us the game. that said i think they (haynes, matera and sampi) operate better with Gasper or Jakovich at CHF to provide a tall marking forawrd.

Originally posted by daddy_4_eyes
Pardon my ignorance, but who is howser? All these nicknames people are making up, very reminiscent of dockerland (as was the reception shown to Old Dark Navy's thread. very disturbing trend...).

Howser-> Doogie-> Doogs -> McDougall :)

Originally posted by daddy_4_eyes

Pardon my ignorance, but who is howser? All these nicknames people are making up, very reminiscent of dockerland (as was the reception shown to Old Dark Navy's thread. very disturbing trend...)

I was wondering the same thing ! I had no idea who Howser was until Mead clarified the situation, but I suspect the "Train" is Wilson and the "Hulk" is Lynch. Am I correct ? I also think the reception shown to Old Dark Navy was harsh. He didn't deserve that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back