AFL Player # 1: Andrew "Pidge" McGrath (Vice-Captain)

Remove this Banner Ad

Been ordinary all year bar 1 or 2 games. At this stage I'm thinking we've made another mistake with a top draft pick.

Yes, yes he won the rising playing in the back line but we want a midfielder.

Needs to go back to VFL and learn to play with more intensity. Someone needs to put a rocket up him right now before it becomes epidemic.

Not sure what the deal is he has completely changed everything good about his game last year.

I still think we should be trying him up forward more because I don’t think he is ready for a full time midfield/wing role and he could hopefully take the pressure of Tippa and Fantasia to continually be our main pressure players up forward, you could even move those guys on to the wing for periods and even Laverde.

Been ordinary all year bar 1 or 2 games. At this stage I'm thinking we've made another mistake with a top draft pick.

Needs to go back to VFL and learn to play with more intensity. Someone needs to put a rocket up him right now before it becomes epidemic.

Do you have a positive thought ever?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He should either be in the backline or a pressure forward at his stage in his career. Clearly not ready to be a mid just yet.

This reads as Hooker forward all over again, moving a gun defender to another part of the ground to compensate for a deficiency. The issue is that Hooker was 30 and established and McGrath literally turned 20 yesterday.

It's a great learning curve for him because he will need to rotate through there at times but defence is where he should largely stay for the next decade

oh dear..

Many a player has treaded water in their second year - My observations are that McGrath is effectively playing as a defensive midfielder and has done a decent job on his opponents - We need to let him off the chain and adopt a more attacking mind-set

Not sure what the deal is he has completely changed everything good about his game last year.

I still think we should be trying him up forward more because I don’t think he is ready for a full time midfield/wing role and he could hopefully take the pressure of Tippa and Fantasia to continually be our main pressure players up forward, you could even move those guys on to the wing for periods and even Laverde.
It would be a waste of his talents to use him as a pressure forward. Put him down back where he has always played his best footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back