AFL Player # 1: Andrew "Pidge" McGrath (Vice-Captain)

Remove this Banner Ad

You mean the five first half ones?
So when they were under the pump he increased his intercept efforts?

Not sure what argument you're going with here, but its not a good one.

So when they were under the pump he increased his intercept efforts?

Not sure what argument you're going with here, but its not a good one.
You said he had a dozen intercepts, I said he had 5 in first half...stuff all in the second half when they were under the pump. Hooker his opponent was a key player in the second half.

You said he had a dozen intercepts, I said he had 5 in first half...stuff all in the second half when they were under the pump. Hooker his opponent was a key player in the second half.
Yes so if he had 5 in the first half that would mean he had 7 in the second half?

Yes so if he had 5 in the first half that would mean he had 7 in the second half?
But he didn’t...I’m saying your dozen claim is wrong ..he was a tree in the second half

But he didn’t...I’m saying your dozen claim is wrong ..he was a tree in the second half

McEvoy is credited with 12 intercept possessions. Most on the ground by far.

McEvoy is credited with 12 intercept possessions. Most on the ground by far.
Oh ok..what on earth exactly are considered intercept possessions..thought they were marks?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are we even sure how many possies he had ..6 kicks and 10 hballs yet 12 contested and 5 uncontested.

View attachment 949776
Possessions are when you get the ball, disposals are when you get rid of it. Sounds obvious but there are times in the game where you might take possession and not be able to get rid of it, or dispose of it without actually winning possession. It could be an error in the numbers (they're usually fixed up when champion data go over the replay, so should be right by now as I think that's straight after the game, or the next morning?). More likely though it's the result of kick ins, ball ups, free kicks for/against, and ends of quarters.

Comfortably in the discussion about best player from that draft. One of few shining lights this year and still plenty of room for growth.

Must admit I had serious concerns over whether he'd be able to transition into the midfield, but he's doing great. Is finding a lot of the ball which was one of the concerns I had; would be able to hold his own in the contest consistently? Not a complete player yet but he's getting there. Saw against Hawthorn the type of game he needs to play more often: running the ball out of clearances and hitting kicks as opposed to just looking for the easy little sideways handball all the time.

The McLuggage/Taranto/McGrath battle is well and truly undecided. Like where Pidge is projecting.

Taranto last season was awesome, I see that as his ceiling which is pretty great and will see him get an AA nod perhaps a couple.

Clug is goal accuracy away from being an AA player himself i think, he's getting the shots though so good signs.

I Think McGrath is the furthest away from his ceiling which excites me because he's not far off AA squad this year, I think that 2nd half vs the Hawks is the glimpse we've all been craving for.

I also think Taranto won't have to worry about getting tagged very often and even if he does he'll cope fairly easily, McGrath and Clug could really struggle with the hard tags, the good thing about them is they have the ability to go to the flanks to shake a tag if needed, Clug HF and Pidge HB.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back