Player Watch #10: Angus Brayshaw – retired due to concussion (22/02). Thanks for everything, Gus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sigh. I feel like it goes without saying, but if you're an opposition (Collingwood) fan looking to come over and get into a fight about Maynard's bump/tribunal case (again), go elsewhere.

No more warnings, cards will be handed out. Please read the room.

What. Harmes will still start at the bounce as much as he did last year. There are only 30 odd centre bounces per game, no one’s SuperCoach output is gonna suffer in our midfield because of 666. It’s a waste having Viney, Oliver and Brayshaw attending the same centre bounce anyway, better having at least one of them on the square at any given time and throwing a Harmes or Salem or Petracca in at the bounce.

What. Harmes will still start at the bounce as much as he did last year. There are only 30 odd centre bounces per game, no one’s SuperCoach output is gonna suffer in our midfield because of 666. It’s a waste having Viney, Oliver and Brayshaw attending the same centre bounce anyway, better having at least one of them on the square at any given time and throwing a Harmes or Salem or Petracca in at the bounce.

Unless Vineys tagging as well but yeah I think having a defensive option at centre bounces is gonna come back into vogue as losing a clearance hurts more now than before.
Harmes will be in there a shitload

Unless Vineys tagging as well but yeah I think having a defensive option at centre bounces is gonna come back into vogue as losing a clearance hurts more now than before.
Harmes will be in there a shitload
Not to mention that Viney and Brayshaw are both hack kicks.

Will be the first rotation in I'd say.
Harmes, Jones, Petracca, Salem in that order I'd say as our back up at the centre square to Oliver, Brayshaw and Viney. Sparrow could be another one who could clearly rotate through once he's proven at VFL level. He already looks to have a contested ball winning body. AVB when fit could get some minutes as well..

I just realised that if polling had started at round 4 last year, when Gus played his first game, he'd have tied with Sidebottom for the Brownlow. Mitchell, who polled nine votes prior to round 4 and then only polled 2 in his next 7 games would have finished third. Shows how impressive it is when you have players like Judd who win it without playing 22 games or players who top the count despite having missed weeks through suspension. These awards can be something of a numbers game.

By the time Brayshaw polled a vote in round 7 Mitchell had polled 11, Sidebottom 9, Laird 9, Fyfe 9 and Dusty 8.

I just realised that if polling had started at round 4 last year (ie when Gus played his first game) he'd have tied with Sidebottom for the Brownlow. Mitchell, who polled nine votes prior to round 4 and then only polled 2 in his next 7 games would have finished third. Shows how impressive it is when you have players like Judd who win it without playing 22 games or players who top the count despite having missed weeks through suspension. These awards can be something of a numbers game.

I mean, yeah..

I mean, yeah..
Hahaha. Well yes, but I meant it more in the sense of it's still such a publicity contest to an extent that for the darlings of the competition it's something of a matter of just putting in enough high possession efforts for the umps to see, regardless of genuinely deserving votes

No, but I know you do so vent at me

Remember 2 years ago when he was kicking long to Garlett over the back? Well Brayshaws still stuck in that set play except in every part of the ground.
He infuriates me, I dont think hes a terrible kick by any means but he is the laziest decision maker on our list. If he doesnt immediately see an option he just pumps it as long as possible. I tried turning the video into a gif but Im not sure I can with the watch AFL, but he burned all his teammates with the torp an then just walked in the transition after port won it back for a good 20 seconds before the camera moved away.

We didnt run a single ball out the front of the clearances it was all hack kicks onto the boot from our midfield, its not as dangerous a forward entry as it should be

Remember 2 years ago when he was kicking long to Garlett over the back? Well Brayshaws still stuck in that set play except in every part of the ground.
He infuriates me, I dont think hes a terrible kick by any means but he is the laziest decision maker on our list. If he doesnt immediately see an option he just pumps it as long as possible. I tried turning the video into a gif but Im not sure I can with the watch AFL, but he burned all his teammates with the torp an then just walked in the transition after port won it back for a good 20 seconds before the camera moved away.

We didnt run a single ball out the front of the clearances it was all hack kicks onto the boot from our midfield, its not as dangerous a forward entry as it should be
Lacks composure. Sure he's only played 60 games but then you see someone like Sam Walsh who's ice cold from day 1. Some blokes have it and some don't, worrying signs from Gus.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't we all in public?
Depends on public setting you're talking about. Night on the town a few dozen beers deep the nights winding up its Mrs Palmer or let the beer goggles take over. Just hope shes gone first thing or even better yet left before you wake up.

Hahaha. Well yes, but I meant it more in the sense of it's still such a publicity contest to an extent that for the darlings of the competition it's something of a matter of just putting in enough high possession efforts for the umps to see, regardless of genuinely deserving votes
Dangerfield and Tom Mitchell. But I have no doubt we would all be ecstatic to have either on our list. However both of them chop the ball as much as Gus. Maybe it's decision making, maybe its execution. Either way, the best in our game have similar issues to Gus and sometimes we expect too much. I'm not sure there's ever been a perfect player in our game. High posession getters usually have issues with hitting targets, while some of our best skilled players can't find the ball enough or have other deficiencies in their game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back