Player Watch #10: Angus Brayshaw – retired due to concussion (22/02). Thanks for everything, Gus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sigh. I feel like it goes without saying, but if you're an opposition (Collingwood) fan looking to come over and get into a fight about Maynard's bump/tribunal case (again), go elsewhere.

No more warnings, cards will be handed out. Please read the room.

Needs better awareness and get used to the pace of the game, ran down twice, he'll now know he has to be quicker
First game back in for a while and StKilda's pressure was top class.
He'll be better for the run and adapt pretty quick I think.

First game back in for a while and StKilda's pressure was top class.
He'll be better for the run and adapt pretty quick I think.
Yeah agree, needs a few games to really settle into the pace of AFL

Last edited:

Anyone else here Goody on the weekend?
He said Gus was actually in the reserves because he put on 4 kilos and had to lose weight and be taught better habits
So how come fatty Kent isn't in the reserves. I know his form has been good, but he is looking a bit squooshy this year like a man who enjoys a cheeseburger or three.

Called in sick on his skin fold day?
I don't think they need skin folds really in this case given its pretty visible. Though maybe its a sort of column A and column B thing - Fatty Kent may be a fatso but so far has retained burst speed, Angus has lost some speed.

Having said that, I sort of hope they keep Angus in now. He was good in the first quarter and sort of lost it a bit after that - but I suspect there could be an element of losing touch with the speed of AFL football etc, and the only way to fix that is familiarity, not more reserves. Besides, I wasn't that bothered by him given we were flogged by 6 goals, three of which at least I put down to Grimes - I don't think the Grand Angus inclusion was the difference between epic victory and that pile of poo. I'm going full "develop the kids" mode now which will hopefully stop me from melting every time we lose something.

I don't think they need skin folds really in this case given its pretty visible. Though maybe its a sort of column A and column B thing - Fatty Kent may be a fatso but so far has retained burst speed, Angus has lost some speed.

Having said that, I sort of hope they keep Angus in now. He was good in the first quarter and sort of lost it a bit after that - but I suspect there could be an element of losing touch with the speed of AFL football etc, and the only way to fix that is familiarity, not more reserves. Besides, I wasn't that bothered by him given we were flogged by 6 goals, three of which at least I put down to Grimes - I don't think the Grand Angus inclusion was the difference between epic victory and that pile of poo. I'm going full "develop the kids" mode now which will hopefully stop me from melting every time we lose something.

Gus lost all confidence after he was run down in the second quarter
I had forgotten until the replay that we were still 17 points up with 10 minutes to go in the 2nd before he was run down and then the saints never looked back
Not his fault but he must have taken it pretty badly because he looked assertive and confident before the tackle and slow and unsure of himself after

Kents the only player who seems to be quicker the fatter he gets

I had forgotten until the replay that we were still 17 points up with 10 minutes to go in the 2nd before he was run down and then the saints never looked back
Not his fault but he must have taken it pretty badly because he looked assertive and confident before the tackle and slow and unsure of himself after

Kents the only player who seems to be quicker the fatter he gets
He's just got a powerful kaboose. Like Serena.

Its true - he did. But in this case I would argue the 'get back on the horse' philosophy rather than dropping him back. He appears a tough character and showing a bit of confidence might be the trick.

Anyhow we're bound to balls up against West Coast in some capacity if not in every possible capacity so I'm happy for they coaches to go experimental and development minded, so long as they don't consider Terlich.

Its true - he did. But in this case I would argue the 'get back on the horse' philosophy rather than dropping him back. He appears a tough character and showing a bit of confidence might be the trick.

Anyhow we're bound to balls up against West Coast in some capacity if not in every possible capacity so I'm happy for they coaches to go experimental and development minded, so long as they don't consider Terlich.

Yeah now that he's in the side they need to stick with him
I saw Watts and McCartney both get around him after his big errors so they were aware of the impact
Not that it's in the same league but if there's a club that can prove that mistakes don't matter for young blokes it's our club, just remind them a young Irish fella cost melbourne a spot in there first GF for 23 years and then won a brownlow a few years later

Think Gus is a victim of setting high standards last year as well. I rate him very highly still and think he will be better again this week.

Just on the Kent thing, was talking to my brother after interleague the other week and even he said 'I like Dean Kent because he's fat but he's a beast'.
I agree he is setting a pretty good fat example at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

23 touches is actually a career high, which is a good effort for his first game back. His first quarter was excellent then fell away a bit after that. Made mistakes, but then who didn't? Even our beloved skipper was dishing out Cameron Bruce specials (hospital handballs) more than a couple of times.

23 touches is actually a career high, which is a good effort for his first game back. His first quarter was excellent then fell away a bit after that. Made mistakes, but then who didn't? Even our beloved skipper was dishing out Cameron Bruce specials (hospital handballs) more than a couple of times.
True. Had no trouble finding the ball which is great, just battled dishing it off in time.

He was fatter last year, bookmark it.

I actually don't think he's gotten fatter either but it's a funny joke .. he's clearly running for longer and harder than he was last year so he's aerobically fitter if not aesthetically

I actually don't think he's gotten fatter either but it's a funny joke .. he's clearly running for longer and harder than he was last year so he's aerobically fitter if not aesthetically
I think it's the dreadful haircut that makes him look pudgy. Every time he looks up you see a pile of tyres appear on the back of his neck. (I've made a study of the issue)

I think it's the dreadful haircut that makes him look pudgy. Every time he looks up you see a pile of tyres appear on the back of his neck. (I've made a study of the issue)

If your suggesting he needs a mullet
I'm backing you 100%

Last edited:
Hey guys, unfortunately missed last week's game. Was Angus Brayshaw given a DT relevant role in the game? What kind of a role was he playing?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back