Player Watch #10: Angus Brayshaw – retired due to concussion (22/02). Thanks for everything, Gus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sigh. I feel like it goes without saying, but if you're an opposition (Collingwood) fan looking to come over and get into a fight about Maynard's bump/tribunal case (again), go elsewhere.

No more warnings, cards will be handed out. Please read the room.

Chiming in to say the obvious - news stinks. Was a ripper player and always seemed like a good person and leader too.

Having listened to a few interviews with former lions players who retired after concussions (Justin Clarke, Jack Frost) and its just shithouse. Jack Frost said in an interview that he couldn't really do anything but stay in dark rooms for nearly two years, so I hope Angus is not suffering ongoing effects and this is a precautionary decision to avoid further damage/injury.

That 2022 season Brayshaw had at half-back where he almost beat Oliver to win this board's MVP award is something we still remember fondly, despite everything we say about the last 2 seasons.

It all started with this game.

Other highlights was his Round 8 game against the Saints...

...and, despite the game being a loss, this was peak Brayshaw that season.

As much as people potted his time in the midfield, he actually played some great hard-nosed games in the centre square for us with Trac up forward and Clarry out in 2023.

Always respected that about Gus, whether it was a wing in 2021, half back in 2022 or playing inside you knew what you were going to get.

I'll even miss his sprayed kicks OOB :'(

Last edited:
I was surprised he went on to begin with considering his missus is Danielle Frawley and obviously what happened with her old man.

Agree with rude, shutup about Maynard. Whether he should be suspended or not it was an accident so just leave it there, use this place to chat about how selfless Gus was and how good his GF was. People said Jackson turned the GF, nah bullshit Brayshaw did.

Sorry to jump into your forum, but would like to pass on my best wishes to Angus.

Played the game as it should, hard and head over the ball. Total respect from most supporters
Good luck and wish you all the best in the future

It just won't feel the same :'(
Gus didn't just bomb it long. He lowered his eyes, steadied and laced the ball ten meters over his teammates head.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Alright, someone's cutting onions

Smashed it media guy.

Also loled at the Sandy commentary "boots it towards big Max!" cut to Jake Spencer taking the mark.

Pretty sad when you think about how Gus and Trac were drafted at the same time, Trac in his prime and Gus retiring. Im almost certain we never saw the best of Gus as a player too coz of the constant interruptions with concussions, still made the most out of his career at the end of the day and I never questioned his character or effort once, he was a player who was consistent with effort every week he played. I wish a lot of our other guys were the same.

Chiming in to say the obvious - news stinks. Was a ripper player and always seemed like a good person and leader too.

Having listened to a few interviews with former lions players who retired after concussions (Justin Clarke, Jack Frost) and its just shithouse. Jack Frost said in an interview that he couldn't really do anything but stay in dark rooms for nearly two years, so I hope Angus is not suffering ongoing effects and this is a precautionary decision to avoid further damage/injury.
A Shame for Angus, at least he had a pretty decent career. Hopefully no further concussion issues for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back