Player Watch #10: Angus Brayshaw – retired due to concussion (22/02). Thanks for everything, Gus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sigh. I feel like it goes without saying, but if you're an opposition (Collingwood) fan looking to come over and get into a fight about Maynard's bump/tribunal case (again), go elsewhere.

No more warnings, cards will be handed out. Please read the room.

I say we meet in the middle and you can design the shield around his brain to look like a rabbit or giraffe. You could glue on little furry ears
Slightly unrelated, but I don't blame him for having an aversion to that helmet they have him wearing. It somehow looks like the hat with ear flaps that our local office dickhead wears thinking it makes him look a bit quirky and hipster.

Slightly unrelated, but I don't blame him for having an aversion to that helmet they have him wearing. It somehow looks like the hat with ear flaps that our local office dickhead wears thinking it makes him look a bit quirky and hipster.

Blokes used to have an aversion to wearing them because if you put one on back in the day blokes would belt you in the head even harder. It does make him look like a make a wish foundation kid invited to train with his heroes

Blokes used to have an aversion to wearing them because if you put one on back in the day blokes would belt you in the head even harder. It does make him look like a make a wish foundation kid invited to train with his heroes

Hehehe, thats up there with the Demonblog summation of Hogan, "Who looks like the guy in the WorkSafe ad who has come back to work with one arm, but everyone's just pumped for him to be there saying "Welcome back, Alan!".

Anyone seen that Bill Burr bit where he's talking about how men tear each other up for certain things, even when they make total sense? Yu'll be out and it starts raining and a guy pulls out an umbrella...."He's got an umbrella...... what a FAAAAG!". So guys so around in the rain getting wet, muttering "I'm not sucking that dick, I'm not sucking that dick!"

Hehehe, thats up there with the Demonblog summation of Hogan, "Who looks like the guy in the WorkSafe ad who has come back to work with one arm, but everyone's just pumped for him to be there saying "Welcome back, Alan!".

Anyone seen that Bill Burr bit where he's talking about how men tear each other up for certain things, even when they make total sense? Yu'll be out and it starts raining and a guy pulls out an umbrella...."He's got an umbrella...... what a FAAAAG!". So guys so around in the rain getting wet, muttering "I'm not sucking that dick, I'm not sucking that dick!"

Jim Jeffries and Bill burr are legendary

Your colleague - local office dickhead - finds it appropriate to wear a hat in the office?

Your colleague - local office dickhead - finds it appropriate to wear a hat in the office?

If it makes people think you're weird and they avoid you, it's definitely worth it. Personally, I find being rude and unhelpful tends to have the same effect.

If it makes people think you're weird and they avoid you, it's definitely worth it. Personally, I find being rude and unhelpful tends to have the same effect.

After the Carlton game I yelled at some people in the Flinders St back walkway who decided to have a 20 person catchup right in the middle of it.

Being rude is the only way muppets ever find out that they are muppets. Public service, really.

After the Carlton game I yelled at some people in the Flinders St back walkway who decided to have a 20 person catchup right in the middle of it.

Being rude is the only way muppets ever find out that they are muppets. Public service, really.
I do this all the time!

I run the paths around the Bris river a couple of times a week and it blows me away how many people have such little regard for anyone else who may be using these paths, and as such, walk them 5 wide.

School holidays are the best, snot nose teenagers trying to act tough for all their mates. A few years back I was running a straight line, and there was about 6 of them walking side by side, about 20m away i yelled out "track" and most of them moved to give me room except for one kid with a shiteating grin on his face trying to be a hero, so I just ran straight through him and knocked him over, much to the delight of all his mates. I like to think that he chose his targets for such smartarsery a bit wiser from then on.

If he strings a couple of solid games together at Casey I would put him in over Bernie returning in a couple of weeks. Vince needs to be made an example of at this point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brilliant. Would love for him to sneak in a cheeky AFL game before the end of the season.
Keeps that up and he'll be in contention.

Lets not get too excited, I'd just like him to play VFL for the rest of the year tbh.
If he has 3 seriously good weeks there's no reason why he shouldn't be in the mix. Gotta reward good form, particularly given we may be playing September and a bit of in-form Gussy would be a nice addition.

If he has 3 seriously good weeks there's no reason why he shouldn't be in the mix. Gotta reward good form, particularly given we may be playing September and a bit of in-form Gussy would be a nice addition.

Im stuck in the middle, on one hand we could use him in the side right now but on the other hand schmuttt is right. He needs to show he can get through a block of footy because we cant afford to be a man down at this point in the season. I would think 4 games minimum in the VFL and 2 would wanna be dominant

Im stuck in the middle, on one hand we could use him in the side right now but on the other hand schmuttt is right. He needs to show he can get through a block of footy because we cant afford to be a man down at this point in the season. I would think 4 games minimum in the VFL and 2 would wanna be dominant
I'm not sure I'd be playing him in a finals series just yet. Finals are ruthless and he's be targeted. I'd rather him have a solid season of AFL level football before he gets put in that cauldron.

His best footy is on ball, and if he fights his way back into the seniors, that's where I want to see him played. Will be tough though with Jones and Vince to come back and Trengove potentially retaining his spot. Loving the fight for spots right now. Stretch is a quality player, same with Pedo and Brayshaw, with Joel Smith, Kennedy and Maynard playing good footy and the potential return of VDB, we have some serious depth in the side now. If Kent can show some fight when he comes back fit, we have a list that can seriously keep the premiership window open for a number of years. Would love to see us land a Lever or Whitfield in the off season too..

Whether or not the helmet would provide any kind of protection seems to be contentious, I don't know either way. But two things I think it will do, one make him more confident about being out there, even if it's a placebo effect. And secondly other players may consciously or subconsciously try and avoid making heavy contact with his head because the helmet alerts everyone to the issue.

Whether or not the helmet would provide any kind of protection seems to be contentious, I don't know either way. But two things I think it will do, one make him more confident about being out there, even if it's a placebo effect. And secondly other players may consciously or subconsciously try and avoid making heavy contact with his head because the helmet alerts everyone to the issue.

Maybe go with a high-vis helmet?

Ralphy saying on SEN he had 26 possessions. He was also talking about the work they'd been putting in to him on leading with his body instead of his head, and also neck exercises to better stabilise the massive bonce in any contact.

His best footy is on ball, and if he fights his way back into the seniors, that's where I want to see him played. Will be tough though with Jones and Vince to come back and Trengove potentially retaining his spot. Loving the fight for spots right now. Stretch is a quality player, same with Pedo and Brayshaw, with Joel Smith, Kennedy and Maynard playing good footy and the potential return of VDB, we have some serious depth in the side now. If Kent can show some fight when he comes back fit, we have a list that can seriously keep the premiership window open for a number of years. Would love to see us land a Lever or Whitfield in the off season too..

Good post. I think our depth was unfairly criticised a couple of weeks back.

Depth will generally be a combo of very young and rather old players. They are usually going to be (at AFL level) a replacement level bigman, flanker or rotation mid. We at various times have been without our ruckmen, key position forwards and entire inside starting midfield. It's tough for depth to plug those gaps. I was chatting about it with a mate a while back, imagine Richmond without just Dusty, Cotchin and Riewoldt?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back