Player Watch #10: Angus Brayshaw – retired due to concussion (22/02). Thanks for everything, Gus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sigh. I feel like it goes without saying, but if you're an opposition (Collingwood) fan looking to come over and get into a fight about Maynard's bump/tribunal case (again), go elsewhere.

No more warnings, cards will be handed out. Please read the room.

What's with the groupthink that Brayshaw scrubs kicks because he's not trying? What's the measure of a player that's trying to kick well and isn't trying? Most of us would agree that Harmes tries hard, but would his kicking be better if he reached new heights of trying? For Gus to get from lying in dark rooms after multiple concussions in the twos to picking up 35 touches a game is an incredible turnaround. That doesn't come without effort, particularly when we know that Goodwin has no issue dropping talented players that he perceives to not be getting enough from themselves (Watts, Hunt, Tyson, Garlett, Brayshaw in rds 1-3).

What's with the groupthink that Brayshaw scrubs kicks because he's not trying? What's the measure of a player that's trying to kick well and isn't trying? Most of us would agree that Harmes tries hard, but would his kicking be better if he reached new heights of trying? For Gus to get from lying in dark rooms after multiple concussions in the twos to picking up 35 touches a game is an incredible turnaround. That doesn't come without effort, particularly when we know that Goodwin has no issue dropping talented players that he perceives to not be getting enough from themselves (Watts, Hunt, Tyson, Garlett, Brayshaw in rds 1-3).

Did a single person say he wasn't trying?

Eh no offence but you’re lacking a bit of understanding on how kicking works if you can’t see he is being a bit lazy sometimes. He doesn’t straighten up or settle himself at times when kicking and we get games like the weekend where he costs us 5-6 shots at goal through no pressure errors. I love the way he plays and have nothing against him, but if I was going to be critical of one thing it is his kicking.

Probably stays where is, can't see Goody wanting to change the midfield setup if it's working well

Very small chance I’d say.

Our backline was still very solid before we got lever, I think we will manage without needing to change much. Still a big loss though.

Probably less than zero. If anything we will just bring in a kid from the reserves to play his role.

Cheers Boys, so you're saying I should get him into my Fantasy Team?!

You've taken the 'lazy kick' description and bolted.

Eh no offence but you’re lacking a bit of understanding on how kicking works if you can’t see he is being a bit lazy sometimes. He doesn’t straighten up or settle himself at times when kicking and we get games like the weekend where he costs us 5-6 shots at goal through no pressure errors. I love the way he plays and have nothing against him, but if I was going to be critical of one thing it is his kicking.

He only does it because he can pull it off.

But yep, needs to keep it a bit more simple on occasion.

Howdy folks,

My YouTube channel has released a new video nominating five breakout players from this season and ya boy Angus made the list (and the thumbnail mind you).

Your five breakout players should be Brayshaw, Fritsch, OMac, Spargo and Oliver.

Howdy folks,

My YouTube channel has released a new video nominating five breakout players from this season and ya boy Angus made the list (and the thumbnail mind you).

What a ripper thumbnail!

Mother*er looks like Magneto in that helmet thing!!!!

The whole team should wear one!!!

If he turns the ball over in the middle of the ground one more ******* time i'll ask for him to be dropped.

Undid all his good work in the first quarter with his use for the remainder of the game. I will give him a break because he is still very inexperienced but some of his disposal was inexcusable.

If he turns the ball over in the middle of the ground one more ******* time i'll ask for him to be dropped.

Undid all his good work in the first quarter with his use for the remainder of the game. I will give him a break because he is still very inexperienced but some of his disposal was inexcusable.

Thought the same, his first quarter was as good as they come, but was very average after that with some absolutely disgusting ball use in the second quarter. Big fan of his, so hoping he cleans this area of his game up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was up there with gawn early on but gawn just got better and better and bayshaw went the opposite direction. I thought his game resembled the team as a whole, just thought it would all happen today and decided to be cute with their possessions.

Wasn't his disposal efficiency one of his strengths when he got drafted? I'm glad he's finding the footy, but he's fast turning into another Dom Tyson with his turnovers..

Uh. Hacked the ball like a smoker after a big night hacks his lungs. Lazy one step poke kicks. Someone needs to tell him to get some motion into his kicking
I don't think he's the only one. Hogan and Petracca are both repeat offenders of the one step kick as well. its very frustrating to watch. makes you wonder if the coaches actually say anything to them about it or even try to coach it out of them.

I don't think he's the only one. Hogan and Petracca are both repeat offenders of the one step kick as well. its very frustrating to watch. makes you wonder if the coaches actually say anything to them about it or even try to coach it out of them.

Seems to be a bit Stevie J, blokes used to kick drop punts now they snap around the corner from directly in front. Then blokes saw Sam Mitchell kick wonderfully off one step as did Jordan Lewis when he was younger and now they are copying that.

You need to get momentum into your kicking for consistency, or else why wouldn't set shots be taken off one step?

Seems to be a bit Stevie J, blokes used to kick drop punts now they snap around the corner from directly in front. Then blokes saw Sam Mitchell kick wonderfully off one step as did Jordan Lewis when he was younger and now they are copying that.

You need to get momentum into your kicking for consistency, or else why wouldn't set shots be taken off one step?
yeah i was going to mention something about it may be the lewis influence. not many can pull it off consistently though, its lazy footy.

. Add in not going back far enough behind the mark as well .

Uh. Hacked the ball like a smoker after a big night hacks his lungs. Lazy one step poke kicks. Someone needs to tell him to get some motion into his kicking
You were on him early days and proven well and truly correct yesterday as he butchered about 7 disposals on the trot.
I reckon he's good enough because we've seen it but there definitely seems to be a laziness at times where he just one steps a lefty and grubs it in a dangerous part of the ground then costs us a goal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back