Player Watch #10: Angus Brayshaw – retired due to concussion (22/02). Thanks for everything, Gus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sigh. I feel like it goes without saying, but if you're an opposition (Collingwood) fan looking to come over and get into a fight about Maynard's bump/tribunal case (again), go elsewhere.

No more warnings, cards will be handed out. Please read the room.

A piece on the MFC website about Gus:

Headgear hard to find for Angus
"They had trouble finding one that fit my head but in the end, they got one," Brayshaw said.
The size of Brayshaw's head is certainly noticed at the club.
"The guys like to make fun of me about the size of my head, and I need a haircut, so that probably doesn’t help,” Brayshaw said.

I don't see it myself, but anyway.
Angus.jpg

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2016-07-23/brayshaw-find-headgear-hard-to-find

It's going to take 20 year old, 2nd year players who've missed the vast majority of the season a few weeks to get used to the speed and intensity of the game again.

The clean pick up and pass to Garlett off the outside of his boot in the wet was poetry.

Good call. While he butchered the ball a bit (wasn't Robinson Crusoe there) I thought his game was a significant improvement on last week and would expect that trend to continue

Clean hands at the contests. Excellent tackling.

Goal assist with a lovely left foot long kick to Dawes. Goal assist with a nice outside of the right footy kick to Garlett.

A couple of other turnovers/less than ideal decisions but all in all it was a good game.

Excited to see what he can produce in the limited game time midfield role that he's playing now. He had easier decisions to make last year as a forward, now he's getting his first sustained crack at some midfield time and having to create more and it's good learning for him. Not surprised he's mucked up a few times given he's missed a fair bit of footy.

Anyone else feel like he is being wasted up forward so much?

I thought he was good last week when he got some midfield time but he just doesn't play enough in there and whilst he is a good overhead mark he doesn't have the same power that Petracca does.

This may sound rather unpopular but I won't be upset if the club don't offer Vince time beyond this year, we've still got Lewis for two years after this and I have no issue with either of those players but eventually they could cause guys like Brayshaw to stall heavily in development. Topkent raised a similar point to this late last year when he said the problem with our mids is a lot of them are very one dimensional, Petracca/Vince/Salem are the only ones who aren't pure mids.

I thought he was good last week when he got some midfield time but he just doesn't play enough in there and whilst he is a good overhead mark he doesn't have the same power that Petracca does.

This may sound rather unpopular but I won't be upset if the club don't offer Vince time beyond this year, we've still got Lewis for two years after this and I have no issue with either of those players eventually they could cause guys like Brayshaw to stall heavily in development. Topkent raised a similar point to this late last year when he said the problem with our mids is a lot of them are very one dimensional, Petracca/Vince/Salem are the only ones who aren't pure mids.

Completely agree mate, Bray is ineffective up forward. Hasn't taken a contested mark forward of Centre this season. I want him to swap with Vince and play the HBF role. He loves a tackle and his reading of the play would make him a good defender as well as a distributor. Plus it allows Vince to get closer to goal where he can be as dangerous as anyone

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess this is one of the problems of having so much depth in the midfield now. In years gone by, he'd be playing most of the time in the guts, where he's best suited.

I'd love to see him spend more time in the midfield but at the same time, he's got a fair few players ahead of him in there at the moment.

I've got full confidence he'll become a really quality player for us long-term, but hopefully he doesn't stagnate in the short-term.

I've got full confidence he'll become a really quality player for us long-term, but hopefully he doesn't stagnate in the short-term.
True. Stagnation in the short term can easily become long-term - and sometimes a change of club can be the only thing that shakes a player out of stagnation. I would hope that Goodwin sees the potential of Angus and makes a plan to get him more involved in his areas of strength. He isn't one of those guys where you can just say, "let's get games into him". He's likely to lose confidence and not know what he's doing. He needs a role, and I think a more defensive role, pushing into the midfield is what he needs.

He looked as white as a sheet when he came off after that head knock. I'm not sure he's out of the woods concussion wise.

This may sound rather unpopular but I won't be upset if the club don't offer Vince time beyond this year, we've still got Lewis for two years after this and I have no issue with either of those players but eventually they could cause guys like Brayshaw to stall heavily in development. Topkent raised a similar point to this late last year when he said the problem with our mids is a lot of them are very one dimensional, Petracca/Vince/Salem are the only ones who aren't pure mids.
He isn't bad forward but think he should play midfield longer term, Bernie can be dangerous with his kick anywhere around 50, give Angus more midfield minutes and play jones and Lewis in HBF for short bursts. Vince more time forward.

Agree with the guys on the podcast. Needs to be given a role. Similar to Salem, who he is a year younger than FWIW, in that sense. I don't think he's playing particularly badly, but he's being affected by being shifted around. Would like to see him play a half in the clearances every week, and the other down back. Don't think he's much use forward, and his little kicks to the leading man I50 have been flat as a tack. Needs the confidence of being hit in a few contests and coming out unscathed.

Much prefer to see Bray kicking long balls to the advantage of our forwards, which he has done in previous years. Whether that's starting from half back or in the middle, doesn't bother me.

He is very good at getting the ball on long and quickly to the best option available, but he doesn't seem particularly suited to short 25 metre passes to players on the lead. So yeh I agree with most people here already, let's get him off the half forward flank and away from the goals so he can kick longer and use his vision and field awareness.

Agree with the guys on the podcast. Needs to be given a role. Similar to Salem, who he is a year younger than FWIW, in that sense. I don't think he's playing particularly badly, but he's being affected by being shifted around. Would like to see him play a half in the clearances every week, and the other down back. Don't think he's much use forward, and his little kicks to the leading man I50 have been flat as a tack. Needs the confidence of being hit in a few contests and coming out unscathed.

Agreed. Kicks the ball a lot better when he kicks 40m or more, and he can do it on both sides too.

Gus is a hard one because I don't think he necessarily has a standout attribute but he is really good at everything without being elite in a category (Rate his use by hand and foot, great overhead mark, comfortable in traffic, is above average pace but not fast like a Hunt or Garlett, good tackler). Definitely think he could have something to offer rotating back/mid, it'd also let us use Vinces kicking up forward where his ability to kick a 60m goal is seriously underrated.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back