Player Watch #10: Angus Brayshaw – retired due to concussion (22/02). Thanks for everything, Gus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sigh. I feel like it goes without saying, but if you're an opposition (Collingwood) fan looking to come over and get into a fight about Maynard's bump/tribunal case (again), go elsewhere.

No more warnings, cards will be handed out. Please read the room.

Good stuff. Plenty of time to monitor himself, consult with experts, look over footage and determine why he's more prone to head knocks than 99% of the rest of the league.
He might not be more prone to them, he might just react more to them. That's the concern. Most players would wear some form of minor head knock every game I think.

He might not be more prone to them, he might just react more to them. That's the concern. Most players would wear some form of minor head knock every game I think.
My uneducated opinion makes me think that his head being big and his peripheral awareness are his biggest issues. All you need is to see the man coming, and you can brace for impact and write off most of it. I feel like its a catch 22 for him, because that awareness is rare in young guys and only really develops with footy and confidence. He was just about RS favourite, and every bit as good as Hogan, before that Geelong concussion in 2015. Has barely had the chance to string good footy together since.

Reckon he's the kind of young player that can afford to take a season out and come back without missing too much development. Very good skillset, good )understanding of the game, won't miss a trick hopefully (so long as he can recover fully)

Good call, give him an 8 week pre-season and have a crack for the last 6 weeks of footy. Then he'll be in great physical shape leading in to 2018 pre-season.

Jason Bennett on Triple M yesterday morning said Melbourne are looking into strengthening his neck muscles similar to what F1 drviers do to help combat the G forces they experience while driving.

I suspect what is really happening is that Brayshaw is getting some space away from footy to contemplate available medical information, which is in no way complete, and to have a really good think about options and risks. What has happened to him is hugely alarming and distressing and could over time impact his mental health as well. I trust the club have hooked him up with a good psychologist to provide some support since he has some very big career and life decisions to weigh up. I hope he is in good spirits and can make the most of the break.

I suspect what is really happening is that Brayshaw is getting some space away from footy to contemplate available medical information, which is in no way complete, and to have a really good think about options and risks. What has happened to him is hugely alarming and distressing and could over time impact his mental health as well. I trust the club have hooked him up with a good psychologist to provide some support since he has some very big career and life decisions to weigh up. I hope he is in good spirits and can make the most of the break.

I think so too, I wouldn't be ruling out him walking away from footy. Doubt he plays at afl level again this year even if he does come back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just going for a run, isn't he? Would be a concern if he concussed himself doing that.
You would think that ... but the worst concussion I've ever had I got while out running.

Tho to be fair, it's also probably relevant to that story that I suffer from a very sporadic and as yet undiagnosed medical issue that causes my blood pressure to plummet in the early stages of exercise, and I pass out - when I've stopped, usually after a warm up, or in the first few km's. This particular run it happened when I stopped at a public toilet, I started to get dizzy when I'd finished and turned around, and last thing I remember was moving towards a pole to hold myself up, next thing I know I'm lying on the floor looking underneath the urinals. Judging by the direction my nose was facing and the massive lump on my head, I smashed my face on the pole, then fell back and hit the back of my head of the urinal on the way down. Had dizziness and vomiting for a solid 5 days after that one.

You would think that ... but the worst concussion I've ever had I got while out running.

Tho to be fair, it's also probably relevant to that story that I suffer from a very sporadic and as yet undiagnosed medical issue that causes my blood pressure to plummet in the early stages of exercise, and I pass out - when I've stopped, usually after a warm up, or in the first few km's. This particular run it happened when I stopped at a public toilet, I started to get dizzy when I'd finished and turned around, and last thing I remember was moving towards a pole to hold myself up, next thing I know I'm lying on the floor looking underneath the urinals. Judging by the direction my nose was facing and the massive lump on my head, I smashed my face on the pole, then fell back and hit the back of my head of the urinal on the way down. Had dizziness and vomiting for a solid 5 days after that one.

Exercise is incredibly dangerous. The couch is safe. Choose the couch.

or never go to the toilet? Cease all fluids
Tried that ... like beer too much

Which played a large part in the first issue as well, and was almost certainly the result of years of strict diet and training programs, which lead to me running, and passing out ... it's quite the vicious cycle really.

That sounds alarming... I hope you're getting that fully checked out mate. It's crap that it happens from trying to get fit.

That sounds alarming... I hope you're getting that fully checked out mate. It's crap that it happens from trying to get fit.
Yeah I've had it pretty extensively tested but they haven't been able to find anything. I'm fairly sure its something they'd need to be monitoring when it happens to be able to properly diagnose it.

I try and make sure my hydration, general diet and sugar levels etc are in good shape before I run these days, and I also wear an ID band which has my details on it. It hasn't happened in a good 18months - 2 years now, touch wood, but I've had some pretty bad episodes. I once regained consciousness right in the middle of having a fit and then blacked out again, that was a shocker.

He's so important for us. Such a versatile player, and if he reaches his potential he could very well be a top 20 in the comp midfielder. That Oliver, Viney, Petracca, and Tyson midfield rotation looks a lot better with Brayshaw in it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back