Player Watch #11: Luke "Two Dogs" McDonald - Roo til end '26

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Luke's sentence likely to be affected if they discover it was craft beers?

The way our club is going, it will result in a reduction of penalty.

Not outrage, finding you and your Moral Majority mate quite tedious

Do you know wot premise means ?

The gist of these previous posts eg the Turner reference is that endless study of sloane will improve turner/ nmfc performance
But sloane keeps getting the bloody ball!
Don't you think other better prepared clubs do this every week

So just maybe the endless extra work is not absolutely definitely going to help

But where does this end .......as I say it ends with Gibbo doing another lap, yawn

Alcohol not a 'cultural problem' at Roos: Ziebell
Nick Bowen
Mar 15, 2018 10:14PM

571694-tlslargeportrait.jpg

Jack Ziebell is keen to keep standards high at North
We had to make sure everyone understood what's required to play footy for North MelbourneJack Ziebell
Related
NORTH Melbourne captain Jack Ziebell remains disappointed by the recent alcohol-related indiscretions by Luke McDonald and Jy Simpkin, but emphatically denies the club has a cultural problem.

Simpkin accidentally walked into the path of a motorcyclist after a night out last month, while McDonald was sanctioned for drinking with a group of younger players on

the Kangaroos' subsequent community camp in Hobart.

North officials had cautioned their players during the Hobart camp about drinking in the wake of Simpkin's accident, and McDonald, as the senior member of the group involved, was suspended by the club for the Kangaroos’ second JLT Community Series game against Richmond.

Ziebell told AFL.com.au at Captains Day that Simpkin's and McDonald's indiscretions had violated the high standards North expected of its young playing group.

But the skipper was adamant those incidents were isolated and not reflective of a larger problem.

Season preview: North Melbourne

"There's no cultural problem, none whatsoever," Ziebell said.

We're talking about two separate incidents that are completely unrelated, and in both instances there has been an extremely encouraging response from the players involved."

Ziebell said McDonald's suspension had been partly designed to send a message to the playing group.

"I think we just had to make sure everyone understood what's required to play footy for North Melbourne," the Roos skipper said.

Both McDonald and Simpkin will be available for selection in North's round one team that will take on Gold Coast in Cairns next Saturday night
Ziebell is in no doubt vice-captain Robbie Tarrant will be fit to take on the Suns after he suffered a bruised kidney in the Kangaroos' JLT loss to Richmond, and expects Ben Jacobs will join him in the Roos’ team after being sidelined for almost two years with foot injuries.

"'Tazzy' will play round one for sure. He trained lightly yesterday and was on light duties for a week. I'll think that he'll aim to train fully again tomorrow as well and that gives him over a week until round one," Ziebell said.

"Full training from hereon in and he'll be ready to head up to Cairns for round one, which will be good.

"Ben has played the last two JLT games, trained in every session pretty much and hasn't missed a beat and has said he's felt the best he has since he's been back.

"I expect him to play in round one and hopefully to play the role he needs to play for the team."

Alcohol not a 'cultural problem' at Roos: Ziebell
Nick Bowen
Mar 15, 2018 10:14PM

571694-tlslargeportrait.jpg

Jack Ziebell is keen to keep standards high at North
We had to make sure everyone understood what's required to play footy for North MelbourneJack Ziebell
Related
NORTH Melbourne captain Jack Ziebell remains disappointed by the recent alcohol-related indiscretions by Luke McDonald and Jy Simpkin, but emphatically denies the club has a cultural problem.

Simpkin accidentally walked into the path of a motorcyclist after a night out last month, while McDonald was sanctioned for drinking with a group of younger players on

the Kangaroos' subsequent community camp in Hobart.

North officials had cautioned their players during the Hobart camp about drinking in the wake of Simpkin's accident, and McDonald, as the senior member of the group involved, was suspended by the club for the Kangaroos’ second JLT Community Series game against Richmond.

Ziebell told AFL.com.au at Captains Day that Simpkin's and McDonald's indiscretions had violated the high standards North expected of its young playing group.

But the skipper was adamant those incidents were isolated and not reflective of a larger problem.

Season preview: North Melbourne

"There's no cultural problem, none whatsoever," Ziebell said.

We're talking about two separate incidents that are completely unrelated, and in both instances there has been an extremely encouraging response from the players involved."

Ziebell said McDonald's suspension had been partly designed to send a message to the playing group.

"I think we just had to make sure everyone understood what's required to play footy for North Melbourne," the Roos skipper said.

Both McDonald and Simpkin will be available for selection in North's round one team that will take on Gold Coast in Cairns next Saturday night
Ziebell is in no doubt vice-captain Robbie Tarrant will be fit to take on the Suns after he suffered a bruised kidney in the Kangaroos' JLT loss to Richmond, and expects Ben Jacobs will join him in the Roos’ team after being sidelined for almost two years with foot injuries.

"'Tazzy' will play round one for sure. He trained lightly yesterday and was on light duties for a week. I'll think that he'll aim to train fully again tomorrow as well and that gives him over a week until round one," Ziebell said.

"Full training from hereon in and he'll be ready to head up to Cairns for round one, which will be good.

"Ben has played the last two JLT games, trained in every session pretty much and hasn't missed a beat and has said he's felt the best he has since he's been back.

"I expect him to play in round one and hopefully to play the role he needs to play for the team."

Honestly, what sort of an outright WOWSER society have we become?

Not outrage, finding you and your Moral Majority mate quite tedious

Do you know wot premise means ?

The gist of these previous posts eg the Turner reference is that endless study of sloane will improve turner/ nmfc performance
But sloane keeps getting the bloody ball!
Don't you think other better prepared clubs do this every week

So just maybe the endless extra work is not absolutely definitely going to help

But where does this end .......as I say it ends with Gibbo doing another lap, yawn

I should probably draw a diagram to explain this.

The premise is not that Sam Gibson is a better footballer than Luke McDonald, Jy Simpkin et al.

The premise was that Sam Gibson appeared very disciplined in his lifestyle - almost never injured, ultra-fit, in top condition and probably went close to realising 100% of his potential. What % of their potential are some of these other guys realising with their lifestyles?

The premise is not that Sam Gibson is a better footballer than Luke McDonald, Jy Simpkin et al.

The premise was that Sam Gibson appeared very disciplined in his lifestyle - almost never injured, ultra-fit, in top condition and probably went close to realising 100% of his potential. What % of their potential are some of these other guys realising with their lifestyles?
Boomer another.
Swallow another.

Dont think any of the current group are at that level yet.

To have a 100 game playing streak over what 5 or 6 years? Very good injury prevention management.

Boomer another.
Swallow another.

Dont think any of the current group are at that level yet.
Rawlings was another one.

Limited ability but achieved his ultimate potential.

Well said. I agree and the AFL has got a long way to go. Some teams still don't have a full time dietitian which is mind boggling to me given that the AIS has several on hand. Even rugby teams in Australia will hire them (generally as a researcher so they can stick them off to the side. If you bother the players you'll get told to ease off). For a long time melbourne based AFL clubs would just use them for work experience purposes so they could tell people that the club looks after its players. It's not like diet is important for athletes...

Players should have their diet analysed and corrected where needed. Not - we've got a chef that fed soldiers so knows how to service a large group. Players should have their sleep patterns analysed too - what's their sleep hygiene like. Countless papers have come out showing that elite athletes really struggle to sleep before and after games and this can significantly impact their prep/recovery.

People can say that they aren't livestock etc. Etc. but they are. Every aspect should be microanalysed so that they get the best out of themselves and if players can't understand that (they do and would - just seems to be supporters that don't) than i don't know why they chose this career path. A number of footballers fail or coast along, some thrive and have a thirst for knowledge so they do the extras.

I've spoken to AFL assistant coaches about topics like this and some are doing university courses to further their knowledge. We all applaud jacobs for studying his opponenets and preparing, and showing the footage of moore going through video with our midfielders. It is good but this should have happened a long long time ago. We are creatures of habit and I'd expect a player like turner to go home and watches hours of footage on laird if we were playing adelaide on the weekend. Finding holes in his game could result in goals for North. If he saw patterns in laird's game like always going left or right to get on his favoured foot could give Turner a split second advantage and result in a holding the ball decision. This could make laird second guess himself for the rest of the game or drop his confidence a little. These small things can add up and change games.

It's just crazy to me that some act like not drinking is tourture. The average AFL career is what 4 years?! Plently of time to drink alcohol when you are done and even though you've still got the bye, off-season and christmas breaks.

I get what you’re saying but how do you explain the 2 greatest players of all time, Carey and Ablett playing up more then anyone? Ablett barely even trained.

I get what you’re saying but how do you explain the 2 greatest players of all time, Carey and Ablett playing up more then anyone? Ablett barely even trained.
Plenty of variables. 2 of the best we've ever seen play the game. If you stuck both in today's game would they dominate the same? Questionable. Put today's elite athletes against those from the 80's and 90's at their peaks and the 80's and 90's players would probably be sucking wind worst than majak. it's not like ablett and carey were only training 3 times a week for a few hours while the rest of the comp were doing what they do today. The game and everything around it from a human movement perspective has changed.

It'd be like picking me and someone from the Homo Neanderthalensis era and asking us to conduct a physio session. One's going to hit you over the head with a club, the other is going to show you kangatech.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Plenty of variables. 2 of the best we've ever seen play the game. If you stuck both in today's game would they dominate the same? Questionable. Put today's elite athletes against those from the 80's and 90's at their peaks and the 80's and 90's players would probably be sucking wind worst than majak. it's not like ablett and carey were only training 3 times a week for a few hours while the rest of the comp were doing what they do today. The game and everything around it from a human movement perspective has changed.

It'd be like picking me and someone from the Homo Neanderthalensis era and asking us to conduct a physio session. One's going to hit you over the head with a club, the other is going to show you kangatech.

Disagree. Carey & Ablett would still be dominate. Cousins & Buddy are two others who managed to be outstanding players whilst still having a fair crack socially.

I think it’s more a horses for coarses type thing. Some players need to be cleanskins to get the best out of themselves, others need a bit of freedom to stay committed to the game.

Disagree. Carey & Ablett would still be dominate. Cousins & Buddy are two others who managed to be outstanding players whilst still having a fair crack socially.

I think it’s more a horses for coarses type thing. Some players need to be cleanskins to get the best out of themselves, others need a bit of freedom to stay committed to the game.

Carey would be dominating as a ruck rover. A better kicking better marking version of Fyfe.

People tend to forget just how skilled Carey was for his size.

How many players can do this on their opposite foot?

He was on another level. Had it all

I could post a truck load of examples to anyone that want's to............."yeah, but not these days", the King.

Martin, Franklin, Fyfe, Dangerfield, he'd tear them all apart.

I could post a truck load of examples to anyone that want's to............."yeah, but not these days", the King.

Martin, Franklin, Fyfe, Dangerfield, he'd tear them all apart.

Absolutely. Smarts, aggression, skill, marking, arrogance, campaigner, he had it all. If he played in this era, despite his size he could still play key position but he’d also play in the middle.

We were the poor upstarts that had everyone’s begrudging respect........then that saga allowed all the haters to celebrate and prepare the gravestone, only to see us fight off the GC rubbish and still be around. They still kick us to this day.
Definitely did untold damage to our brand that incident/affair. Fractured the whole club, looking like it’s possibly coming home to roost via the FS.
Geez he was amazing though. Best ever. By a mile IMO.

We were the poor upstarts that had everyone’s begrudging respect........then that saga allowed all the haters to celebrate and prepare the gravestone, only to see us fight off the GC rubbish and still be around. They still kick us to this day.
Definitely did untold damage to our brand that incident/affair. Fractured the whole club, looking like it’s possibly coming home to roost via the FS.
Geez he was amazing though. Best ever. By a mile IMO.

Nah. every club has its warts. Ablett snr is partially responsible for a girl dying. Hird led his club into the biggest systemic doping scandal Australia has ever seen. West coast let thier players get away with the drug couture. Carlton & Melbourne selling their souls by deliberately setting up to lose for draft picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back