Player Watch #11: Luke "Two Dogs" McDonald - Roo til end '26

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watson was overweight.

McDonald has good endurance, always has had. He just doesn't cover the ground that well with repeat efforts.
You may be right , but playing him in the backline will never help him . Sam Mitchell does not cover the ground that well either but he runs to the right areas . I'm not saying he will be a Sam Mitchell but ffs he's not a back pocket either .

Lets face it folks he's a spud... He won't perform any better in the midfield. Every facet of his game is mediocre and he isn't improving. None of us want to admit it but we all know it's true.... We wasted a high draft pick on him.....let's not compound the error by selecting him every week......
People compound the two issues.

1. Was he worth the pick we paid for him? I'd suggest probably not.
2. Does he perform the role required of him for the position he plays in? For the most part, I think he does, but he needs to be part of a good defensive back six (or seven). Otherwise, like any backman, he gets caught out - particularly with bad turnovers down field - and looks bad.

So, if you divorce 1. from 2. it's a different conversation. Too many judge him harshly, imho, because he went so high and because of the father/son, BFNAAK hype. He does okay for his position in my view, but that's not to say he couldn't get better. Upside is he's only played 52 games now and arguably, has another year till he gets to the 'magical' 70-80 game marker that the 'experts' say is important.

People compound the two issues.

1. Was he worth the pick we paid for him? I'd suggest probably not.
2. Does he perform the role required of him for the position he plays in? For the most part, I think he does, but he needs to be part of a good defensive back six (or seven). Otherwise, like any backman, he gets caught out - particularly with bad turnovers down field - and looks bad.

So, if you divorce 1. from 2. it's a different conversation. Too many judge him harshly, imho, because he went so high and because of the father/son, BFNAAK hype. He does okay for his position in my view, but that's not to say he couldn't get better. Upside is he's only played 52 games now and arguably, has another year till he gets to the 'magical' 70-80 game marker that the 'experts' say is important.

When the sting has gone out of games this year he should be given stints in the middle.

I thought he was solid today, defended well, however his kicking is a serious issue. He will continue to have a shadow cast upon him around here until he can execute basic kicking skills.
Yep, there's nothing creative or penetrating about his kicking.... You could forgive that if he was a defensive monster one on one or he was evasive or pacy. But he's none of those things.... He's honest and courageous but that's not enough....

When the sting has gone out of games this year he should be given stints in the middle.
If he's trained for it, I wouldn't be totally opposed to it.

Problem goes back to the Cunnington, Ziebell, Swallow and now Dumont midfield. He's not going to add extra pace, I'm not convinced he'd add extra 'nous' or skills in close or on the outside. Swap him and JZ? I dunno. I reckon HB is his terrain.

Yep, there's nothing creative or penetrating about his kicking.... You could forgive that if he was a defensive monster one on one or he was evasive or pacy. But he's none of those things.... He's honest and courageous but that's not enough....
I tend to agree, in the main. Which is why, with good defensive team mates he 'does a job'.

I tend to agree, in the main. Which is why, with good defensive team mates he 'does a job'.
Yeah, it's a shame because his attitude is A1, he tries his heart out and clearly loves the club.... He's just not good enough to improve us. In the modern game you need your HB flankers and back pockets to be creative unless they're pure lockdown types like Marley...otherwise you can't get the ball out of your defensive half for long periods as was the case today....

Was talked up as a superstar in making, when really so far he's just a courageous shinboner with poor skills.

It's unfair to LMac in some ways as he didn't ask for the massive wraps, but yeah, on evidence so far it's more bust than boom.

Was talked up as a superstar in making, when really so far he's just a courageous shinboner with poor skills.

It's unfair to LMac in some ways as he didn't ask for the massive wraps, but yeah, on evidence so far it's more bust than boom.
If we are to improve as a side he cannot be best 22....He must be over 50 games now so we've had a decent look at him.... Wright is far superior... Good one on one, strong in the air, composed, beautiful kick both sides....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Came on really well early last year before the hammy. Was schooled by LeCras today and was struggling to stick with his man late today. Has the ability to be a very good half back but needs to get fitter and stronger. Don't expect the world but he will be a best 22 player for a long time.

What I would give to have Patrick Cripps or Zac Merrett instead of this bloke.

Heart and soul type no doubt but is just a blantantly average half back.

Is it that he isn't that good or have we just completely destroyed his development?

Very high cost we have paid for an below average half back.
I don't think he has the tank to be a mid yet. Looked absolutely rooted.
I love Luke but he isnt a defender. He just doesnt have the burst of pace to be a gun half back.
His kicking is average at best. No penetration in it. He seems to be heavy for his size if that makes sense. Just a slow release kicking style that you cant have at this level. Take his forever to wind up.

As for bursts in the middle. Its embarrassing seeing him struggle to chase through the middle as he just cant go with the better types.
He was rated a top 5 pick so yeh we were always gonna take him but * we lost out in this draft. What do we do? Just sit and hope things change by repeating the same over and over?

I love Luke but he isnt a defender. He just doesnt have the burst of pace to be a gun half back.
His kicking is average at best. No penetration in it. He seems to be heavy for his size if that makes sense. Just a slow release kicking style that you cant have at this level. Take his forever to wind up.

As for bursts in the middle. Its embarrassing seeing him struggle to chase through the middle as he just cant go with the better types.
He was rated a top 5 pick so yeh we were always gonna take him but **** we lost out in this draft. What do we do? Just sit and hope things change by repeating the same over and over?

He certainly has penetration in his kicks.
He's shown at different times to be a very good defender, sticks well to structures etc. It all looks a bit doom and gloom after a loss but really he had a tough day today with so much space in the forward fifty and not much pressure being applies on the Duckers sending it inside.

He got towelled by Lecras in a 15 min period and unfortunately that sort of puts a big X against his performance but he was actually pretty solid

19 posessions, 5 tackles, no Free kicks against, 73% disposal efficiency and 3 marks.

Wasnt a superstar performance but I think we will see him really take charge this year. He wants it so bad and unlike some others, he looks like he genuinely hurts when he stuffs up.

He got towelled by Lecras in a 15 min period and unfortunately that sort of puts a big X against his performance but he was actually pretty solid

19 posessions, 5 tackles, no Free kicks against, 73% disposal efficiency and 3 marks.

Wasnt a superstar performance but I think we will see him really take charge this year. He wants it so bad and unlike some others, he looks like he genuinely hurts when he stuffs up.
I agree. People are forgetting how well he played in the first half of last year.

Tell you what grinds my gears? When a North player (McDonald did it a couple of times yesterday but it's a recurring event throughout the team) has the footy in a back pocket or flank and has 5 steps to put the thing on the boot before he gets tackled or bumped...and takes 7 steps.

The kick is then a shank or pie floater that doesn't reach the target or goes out on the full.

Does my head in. It's like they're conditioned to take the hit a hope for the best. If you can dispose of the footy before the physical pressure, do so.

LeCrab got some sublime delivery yesterday from a highly skilled midfield (and converted - something our forwards couldn't do!) which made the damage to Luke's game worse than what it actually was. He played a better game than Tarrant, Hansen, McMillian and Thompson.

He will become the player we thought he would with age and experience, have faith.

He certainly has penetration in his kicks.
He's shown at different times to be a very good defender, sticks well to structures etc. It all looks a bit doom and gloom after a loss but really he had a tough day today with so much space in the forward fifty and not much pressure being applies on the Duckers sending it inside.
By penetrations I mean he skies them a bit too much when he boots it long. There not darts by any means which I would love.
I dont see any reason not to play him in the middle for the rest of the year. Ive seen enough off him at halfback.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back