Player Watch #12 Angus Sheldrick

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone know where Gus is on the rehab trail? Will he be good to start pre season? I don't even recall what's wrong with him. But I do know he looked fantastic for a few games this year and the answer to our prayers for a mid that can win the ball out of the centre. Hopefully it wasn't a mirage, and his injury heals well.

Anyone know where Gus is on the rehab trail? Will he be good to start pre season? I don't even recall what's wrong with him. But I do know he looked fantastic for a few games this year and the answer to our prayers for a mid that can win the ball out of the centre. Hopefully it wasn't a mirage, and his injury heals well.
One reference I found dated 9 Aug 2023
Angus Sheldrick is now three and a half weeks after his syndesmosis operation. He is going well, has a good range of motion and his swelling has resolved. He is going to commence some running on the AlterG this week.

He’ll be ok for a full pre-season.

The thing with syndesmosis though is that it takes time to regain full range of movement through the ankle. I remember a player (Zac Merrett I think) who reckoned it took a full 12 months for him to feel he’d regained full confidence in his kicking off the foot he’d had surgically repaired.

The thing with syndesmosis though is that it takes time to regain full range of movement through the ankle. I remember a player (Zac Merrett I think) who reckoned it took a full 12 months for him to feel he’d regained full confidence in his kicking off the foot he’d had surgically repaired.
Bet he's been working like a trojan on his upper body and abs. Gonna be fearsome. 😃

Good to know.
We don't need him to kick much anyways maybe. 2 to 1 handball to kick ration might be ideal anyways.

Before the Demons game in Rd 24, I saw him and McInerney doing laps of Tramway - looked like he was running pretty freely.

Good to know.
We don't need him to kick much anyways maybe. 2 to 1 handball to kick ration might be ideal anyways.

His kicking is more than handy though. Lucky he is two sided.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can’t recall if this has been posted before - but it’s a nice 4-part story on Gus and his journey to the draft & early days at the Swans.

Can’t recall if this has been posted before - but it’s a nice 4-part story on Gus and his journey to the draft & early days at the Swans.

Great read, thanks DQ.

Just turn this one over.
Superstar stamped somewhere, surprising considering Claremont connection.

Sheldrick The Stimulator.

The Angus Sheldrick Appreciation Society so rabid on this board is going to lose its collective mind when the new jumper numbers are revealed.

As much as Mills being gone probably at the start of the year will hurt, I’m so excited to get Sheldrick back into the side ASAP. If Mills’ absence does that, so be it. No one whose name isn’t Errol excites me more wrt their future than Sheldrick.

As much as Mills being gone probably at the start of the year will hurt, I’m so excited to get Sheldrick back into the side ASAP. If Mills’ absence does that, so be it. No one whose name isn’t Errol excites me more wrt their future than Sheldrick.
I won't lie the Sheldrick hype is kind of lost on me, but I sure hope he ends up justifying it.

I won't lie the Sheldrick hype is kind of lost on me, but I sure hope he ends up justifying it.
It's probably because many of us see him as a missing piece of the puzzle. A ball winner who can help our clearance issues. If Sheldrick maintains the trajectory we've seen in just nine games, and Grundy can break even, Swans will be a more consistent team.

I’ve had him pegged as a slightly less athletic but just as savvy and tough Jack Viney or Tom Liberatore type since the first time I saw him play a full game of reserves in the guts. I also get the sense he has better goal sense than those two. He screams 200 gamer, perhaps not quite All Australian but consistent very good inside midfielder who is also a leader to me. And if he is that, and you couple him with the likes of Warner and Errol and we’ll be building a varied and very good midfield for the next decade.

It's probably because many of us see him as a missing piece of the puzzle. A ball winner who can help our clearance issues. If Sheldrick maintains the trajectory we've seen in just nine games, and Grundy can break even, Swans will be a more consistent team.
Oh don't get me wrong I can totally see where Sheldrick fits in the future (and to a lesser extent the present) and I think he's very promising. I'm definitely excited by his prospects.

But Sheldrick is genuinely challenging Gulden for the most-hyped Swans player by fans and it's based on four games where he was good not great. It is just baffling to me. Not knocking everyone - hype whoever you choose! Just saying I don't get it at all and feel like I'm missing something.

Maybe I'm just too cynical!

I’ve had him pegged as a slightly less athletic but just as savvy and tough Jack Viney or Tom Liberatore type since the first time I saw him play a full game of reserves in the guts. I also get the sense he has better goal sense than those two. He screams 200 gamer, perhaps not quite All Australian but consistent very good inside midfielder who is also a leader to me. And if he is that, and you couple him with the likes of Warner and Errol and we’ll be building a varied and very good midfield for the next decade.
With all due respect though this is nothing that hasn't been said about half a dozen others who are now yesterday's news in regards to the midfield. So I'm just not seeing what makes Sheldrick so different. When I arrived at the games where Sheldrick was playing midfield this year on my rewatch I kept waiting to see something we hadn't seen from basically every other young mid prospect over the last say decade and it never really came.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back