Player Watch #12: Jy Simpkin - 2021 & 2022 Syd Barker Medalist - 2023 co captain with LMac - re-signed until end of 2029

Remove this Banner Ad

The hit on Jy by Webster was disgusting, it was late, high and off the ground. Given everything we now know about concussion this type of act simply cannot be tolerated. I am very surprised that the message still hasn't gotten through to every player that this type of hit is absolutely not on. If the AFL want to stamp this out they have to come down hard with the penalty to set the tone for the future. Six week is an absolute minimum I would think 8 to 10 would be more appropriate.

I really hope that Jy is going to be ok. When it happened my heart sank and watching the replay was really sickening. Jy is also one of the players that we can least afford to lose. We have a very young and inexperienced team and really need the leadership and experience that Jy brings. To lose Jy to injury is one thing but to lose him in that incident is disgusting.

As for Websters family, whilst I can understand them wanting to support a family member this is absolutely the worst way to go about it. They really need to reflect on the comments that they made and hopefully see how wrong they were. I remember when Jess Sinclair collected Lance Picioane. Jess was distraught by his actions and genuinely remorseful and Lance's family acted with complete class. I distinctly remember being very impressed by the comments made by his mother. I did a quick Google search and found how the NMFC reacted to the incident:

Kangaroos coach Dean Laidley says Sinclair's actions were out of character.

"We want to play hard tough footy and you can't get away from that, but we certainly don't want Jess Sinclair incidents happening," he said.

"Jess made a mistake, there's no doubt about that. In a split second he's made the wrong decision which we all have to live with. Certainly we don't condone what Jess has done."

Laidley says Sinclair is extremely upset and has telephoned Picioane and apologised for the incident.

"Jess took off down the coast yesterday and has been in my office this morning nearly in tears," he said.

"He's already spoken to Lance and I don't know what happened in that conversation, but it's not a good thing. But let me tell you, he's feeling pretty ordinary at the moment."

Lets see what we get from St Kilda.
I thought Enright's initial response in the press conference was pretty underwhelming.

The hit on Jy by Webster was disgusting, it was late, high and off the ground. Given everything we now know about concussion this type of act simply cannot be tolerated. I am very surprised that the message still hasn't gotten through to every player that this type of hit is absolutely not on. If the AFL want to stamp this out they have to come down hard with the penalty to set the tone for the future. Six week is an absolute minimum I would think 8 to 10 would be more appropriate.

I really hope that Jy is going to be ok. When it happened my heart sank and watching the replay was really sickening. Jy is also one of the players that we can least afford to lose. We have a very young and inexperienced team and really need the leadership and experience that Jy brings. To lose Jy to injury is one thing but to lose him in that incident is disgusting.

As for Websters family, whilst I can understand them wanting to support a family member this is absolutely the worst way to go about it. They really need to reflect on the comments that they made and hopefully see how wrong they were. I remember when Jess Sinclair collected Lance Picioane. Jess was distraught by his actions and genuinely remorseful and Lance's family acted with complete class. I distinctly remember being very impressed by the comments made by his mother. I did a quick Google search and found how the NMFC reacted to the incident:

Kangaroos coach Dean Laidley says Sinclair's actions were out of character.

"We want to play hard tough footy and you can't get away from that, but we certainly don't want Jess Sinclair incidents happening," he said.

"Jess made a mistake, there's no doubt about that. In a split second he's made the wrong decision which we all have to live with. Certainly we don't condone what Jess has done."

Laidley says Sinclair is extremely upset and has telephoned Picioane and apologised for the incident.

"Jess took off down the coast yesterday and has been in my office this morning nearly in tears," he said.

"He's already spoken to Lance and I don't know what happened in that conversation, but it's not a good thing. But let me tell you, he's feeling pretty ordinary at the moment."

Lets see what we get from St Kilda.
8-10 is not enough. This might be the worst incident we've seen since the crackdown on bumps in recent years. A lot of them you can argue were attempts at body contact, bracing for impact, trying to jump to avoid contact etc, this one is only explainable as an attempt to line Jy's head up and do as much damage as possible. A guy who would do that is a danger to every opponent at every level and I don't see how a couple of months off would do anything about that. He knows, KNOWS you're not supposed to do that. It's been drummed into him like every player, the life-ruining consequences of concussion for former players have been prominent in the news for years at this point, just one week ago we had a beloved player forced into retirement due to recurring concussions. It's never going to be any more obvious than it is right now and if he didn't get it right before he decided to line up Jy, he never will.

Changing behaviours to protect players either matters or it doesn't.
If Jimmy Webster has to get 12 weeks for that cause to advance, so be it.

Just removing myself from the Jy situation these jumping bumps that concuss people are a massive blight on the game.

Too many good players being lost now but it's absolutely the right call for their health. Brayshaw, McCartin, the list goes on and it will grow and grow.

Of course many are unavoidable but at the moment it feels like 30% are avoidable, particularly the bumps and even more particularly the jumping bumps.

The penalties should be at least tripled from what they have been if we're being honest.

You have to incentivise the players and clubs to teach and train this crap out of the game.

It's the biggest issue in football by far.

Changing behaviours to protect players either matters or it doesn't.
If Jimmy Webster has to get 12 weeks for that cause to advance, so be it.
I think he will get 6, but totally agree. Players have been told numerous times that bumping leaves you open to suspension if you get it wrong.

If the AFL wants to come out strong, I see no issue with 12 weeks, it was an unecessary action and you can’t even argue it was split second.

Webster knew exactly what he was trying to achieve which was to cause harm and if he needs to take half a year off because of it, then so be it.

I don’t think to many footy watchers are supporting what was nothing but a snipe by a weak prick.

This is the easiest of easy actions to remove from the game. Completely avoidable and unlike many that happen where a split second decision and actions by more than one player impact the contest this is entirely on the player offending - the easiest of actions to punish and to punish seriously.

And to think that they have a stand named after Danny Frawley who took his own life due to ongoing issues caused by his concussion issues after he gave up playing............Bunch of Hypocrites!!!!!!:mad:
Not really. Just a bunch of what some of us have known for 40+ years. Not really a bunch of hypocrites, more a bunch of flakey dickheads.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And to think that they have a stand named after Danny Frawley who took his own life due to ongoing issues caused by his concussion issues after he gave up playing............Bunch of Hypocrites!!!!!!:mad:
Yep I have been pushing that pretty hard on FB and X. Pack of absolute hypocrites.
Maybe the Webster famiy should be made to have a long hard chat with the Frawleys and Angus Brayshaw.
Imagine if the roles had been reversed (although I know they wouldnt be) they would be baying for blood.

Just a heads up guys, as usual hit another team board at your own peril.

The Saints board is giving out full whack "serious infractions" weeks off like candy regardless of your own personal records and infraction history. There's plenty of other places to vent.

The Saints board is giving out full whack "serious infractions" weeks off like candy regardless of your own personal records and infraction history. There's plenty of other places to vent.
I just hope the North posters didn't do anything completely out of line like defend child victims of bullying in Tasmanian schools.

I’m not buying this “split second” s**t trotted out by Enright and Lyon. Of course they will support their player who has transgressed but get ****ed..

If he had any other intention than taking Jai out I’ll go he!!!

If his approach to Jai was genuine , he would have had his hands out attempting to smother the ball.

I sympathise with players who get done for head clashes when two players are competing for the ball.

Throw the book at this prick Webster and make an example of him.

I wouldn’t even bother going to that cesspit anyway.

What the point of speaking with morons.

I’m not buying this “split second” s**t trotted out by Enright and Lyon. Of course they will support their player who has transgressed but get ****ed..

If he had any other intention than taking Jai out I’ll go he!!!

If his approach to Jai was genuine , he would have had his hands out attempting to smother the ball.

I sympathise with players who get done for head clashes when two players are competing for the ball.

Throw the book at this prick Webster and make an example of him.
He totally took Jye out. Lined him up with no intention other than to knock him into next week. It's so bloody obvious.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back