Senior 15. Sam Docherty

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks to have slotted in very nicely at VFL level. Fantastic to see after he endured a very tough first few months at the club.

No doubt some will be tempted to bring him into the AFL side already, but I hope we hold fire. We simply should not consider him at AFL level until such time as his body and fitness levels allow him to be a contributor at the highest level.

Give him a few more weeks at the lower level and if he's still performing well, then it's time to bring him up a level.

The signs are very good thus far and I'm sure we'll see plenty of him in Navy Blue this year & beyond.

Hey guys just wondering how Docherty is tracking along, he is yet to play a game which I am surprised about I thought he was meant to slot straight into our 22. Is he injured or just not in good form?

Hey guys just wondering how Docherty is tracking along, he is yet to play a game which I am surprised about I thought he was meant to slot straight into our 22. Is he injured or just not in good form?
Horrible preseason on and off field. Getting match fitness in the VFL. He'll be in the seniors as soon as he is fit.

Link
"It's always tough not knowing if you're playing or not with guys coming in and out of the team," he said of the former Brisbane Lion, who was a late replacement for Andrew Carrazzo.

"So for him to come in and play his role, I thought he exemplified that really well and was a great positive on a night when there weren't too many."
Link

Docherty loving Blue life
“I’m loving it down here,” Docherty said.

“The club’s great. Living down here I’m a bit closer to family, I see my mum nearly every week now which is great. I couldn’t be happier to be honest.

“It was a bit of a stitch-up, the boys had about 50 bottles unhinged just ready to go.”
Docherty loving Blue life

090976-1a958dfc-d9d9-11e3-bb5e-bb14174cd6c1.jpg

Derp face.

Love Sammy. Seems like he's become a fan favourite already - everyone around me last week and last night were all over him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looked great last night. Showed a maturity and composure well beyond his years.

Terrific performance for his 2nd game at the club without a solid preseason behind him.

He'll continue to build on that performance and prove to be a very valuable player for us not only this year but for many years to come.

It really is scary just how similar he is to Scotto. May not have the pace a young Heath once had, but everything else is a virtual carbon copy.

Scotty has been a wonderful servant for us but his time is fast coming to an end. We've got a ripper replacement for him in Doc.

Looked great last night. Showed a maturity and composure well beyond his years.

Terrific performance for his 2nd game at the club without a solid preseason behind him.

He'll continue to build on that performance and prove to be a very valuable player for us not only this year but for many years to come.

It really is scary just how similar he is to Scotto. May not have the pace a young Heath once had, but everything else is a virtual carbon copy.

Scotty has been a wonderful servant for us but his time is fast coming to an end. We've got a ripper replacement for him in Doc.
I reckon he has good pace actually, probably not as dual sided as Scotto though. He and Bucks on the back flanks for a while will bring a smile to my dial.

Just out of curiosity though, who did he and Bucks match up on for Monday? ie, who let Schneider get 26 touches!?

I reckon he has good pace actually, probably not as dual sided as Scotto though. He and Bucks on the back flanks for a while will bring a smile to my dial.

Just out of curiosity though, who did he and Bucks match up on for Monday? ie, who let Schneider get 26 touches!?

He does have some toe, but I wouldn't call him particularly quick. Perhaps I haven't seen enough of it just yet.

A young Scotland had a real burst of pace allowing him to get clear of an opponent and push the ball forward of centre. Lost it now of course, but it was there.

12 Brisbane Lions
Sam Docherty
HEIGHT: 185cm
CLUB: Gippsland Power Back flanker has the most damaging kick in the draft. Cuts open forward presses and is smart defensively.

Jay Clark and Sam Landsberger

Pick 13 – GWS
Sam Docherty
DOB 17/10/93 Ht 185 Wt 83
Every team nowerdays needs good dash and users in the backline and GWS have a bit of a need in this area. Personally I rate Docherty ahead of Buntine in these areas and whilst he is not as good defensively you have to weigh how you are going to use the player you pick. GWS need running and kicking and I rate Docherty higher in these areas. I think he is every chance to go here on draft day if the Lions don’t take him at 12.

Docherty is an offensive HBFer. He has excellent run and carry skills and can either run through zones or kick over them. Going forward he is very heads up and will usually look to go long down the field sometimes to the exclusion of better intermediate options. Still he has the skill to exercise these long kicks well and he hits his targets. He is a right footer but has nice penetration and accuracy off either foot. He might be the best kick off his non-preferred of anyone in this draft. His kicking holds together under pressure and he has great ability to find the target with players closing him down quickly. He is a regularly taker of kick-ins because of his ability to find the target.

Quigley write-up

Interesting, Harks. I'd been meaning to have a look at his mock profiles. Even though he's already spent 2 years in the AFL and we have a pretty good handle on the sort of player it is, it still makes interesting reading. Can't believe our luck in picking this guy up so cheaply. We got a really quality trio of recruits from other clubs last year and that seems to have set us up nicely! That's before Daisy even comes close to full fitness. Read below for Docherty's profiles -

# 15 Richmond – Sam Docherty (Gippsland / 183 / 80 / 93)

They need class for mine and hence look no further than one of our local boys who has been a big riser this year. Was rated at the start of the year at GP but not really anywhere else. Took off mid year and had a good few weeks leading into the carnival before getting a game during Champs off the back of some injuries. Certainly impressed and as a result being thought of as a RD 1. Super quick and very composed down back. Arguably the best user of the ball in this draft by foot and will appeal because of his decision making and pace out of defence. These HB flankers are pretty important these days and hence why I am tending to think he might go around here. I just wonder whether come draft day he isn’t in the top 12...in fact i wonder whether and Greene shouldn’t be switched!
AFL Comparison – Heath Shaw ...ish
Western Bulldogs - 17. Sam Docherty

Next up on my list is Sam Docherty, a tough highly offensive HBF, who is pushing up the draft order quickly and with good reason. He is probably best available here although it gets really close with the next couple of players. He has midfield capabilities although I prefer him as a HBF.

Sam has n excellent right foot, great distance over 60m and he makes good decisions and hits targets. He can take the harder option on occasions, but most of the time it pays off bigtime, however it can badly hurt a team as well if he gets it wrong. He has good hands and is clean, solid overhead and can mark the ball quite well. Defensively he is pretty good, although I would like to see him defend a bit better sometimes, and finding the balance will take time, but he has the ability. Sam has pace, breaks the lines and loves to run with the ball, and take opponents on. He is a very good offensive player and with the zone he will be extra important. I rate him highly and the Doggies have got a steal.
#10 GWS: SAM DOCHERTY
Height: 183cm, Weight: 83kg, DOB: 7/10/93 Recruited from: Gippsland Power
Some may think this is a bit of a stretch, but we feel currently we lack some quality running defenders. Sam possesses one of, if not the best kicks in this draft, and foot skills are something value quite highly. Sam will play immediately out of a back pocket or half back flank and give us outstanding run from defence as well as shutting down an opponent.
#12 Brisbane - Sam Docherty (VIC - Def)
Height: 185cm, Weight: 85kg, DOB: 17/10/1993
Recruited from: Gippsland Power
Style: Heath Shaw
Player comparison:
Range: 10-25
Profile: Really impressive when he got injected into the champs. Wasn’t part of the original Vic Country side. Back flanker who provides serious dash from defence and looks like a real weapon in the making with that explosive speed of his. Kicking is exceptional and under pressure looks very composed which is a great sign and can use either foot well. Man on man is solid and is an absolute rebounding machine from defence. Allot to like and is a 1st round talent.

No doubt now that he is at Carlton those posters would like to re-write their profiles...

Five in five – stick that up ya jumper says Sam
“I was looking at the fixture the other day and wondering ‘When do I play in the traditional guernsey?”

“To be able to play in that jumper will be a fair privilege I reckon,” Docherty said.

“Mum will get very emotional to see me running out in that one. I know that she’ll be proud and wishing that Dad could be there to witness it all. It was his dream as much as mine to play for Carlton.”
Five in five – stick that up ya jumper says Sam

Remove this Banner Ad

Back