18 minute quarters

Remove this Banner Ad

There was a similar issue many years ago in Major League Baseball when Roger Maris broke Babe Ruth's home run record. Many argued Maris' record of 61 should have had an asterisk on it because he hit his record-breaker of 61 (Ruth's record was 60) in the 161st game of the season, while Ruth's record was set when MLB only played 154 games.

As time went on and generations grew up only knowing Maris as the home run king, fewer people cared, though similar arguments are made whenever it's debated about cutting the season back down to 154 games.

My guess is something similar would happen in AFL. People would be up in arms debating every record that gets broken or every record that seems unbreakable until a few generations pass, and the younger kids no longer care.
I'm reminded for some reason of the Pratt - Hudson 150 goals comparison. 21 versus 24 games.

Long live the memory of Pratt. 4.3 goals a game for Swans, 6.5 goals per game for Coburg.

Scott Pendlebury was on SEN Breakfast yesterday and made some interesting comments about quarter length. Essentially he suggested that play been so stagnant this year because teams have energy to defend the ground for 16 minutes, compared to 20 minute quarters when the game breaks open more in the last 5 minutes because players are fatigued.

If the AFL keep the game at 16 minute quarters or even go with 18 minutes, they need to reduce the interchange cap drastically, I think to 20-30 a game. More fatigue = less defense = more free flowing and open play.

Scott Pendlebury was on SEN Breakfast yesterday and made some interesting comments about quarter length. Essentially he suggested that play been so stagnant this year because teams have energy to defend the ground for 16 minutes, compared to 20 minute quarters when the game breaks open more in the last 5 minutes because players are fatigued.

If the AFL keep the game at 16 minute quarters or even go with 18 minutes, they need to reduce the interchange cap drastically, I think to 20-30 a game. More fatigue = less defense = more free flowing and open play.
Yep, shorter quarters with a lot less interchange is the way to go

Would like to keep it to 20 flat, only add time on for major injuries etc
No way. Time on is needed for goals. You cant reduce a qtr for a minute everyime a team kicks a goal. Plus you are encouraging time wasting by punching the ball out of bounds amd holding it up in pile ons to force a ball up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess hardcore footy fans want to stay at 20 mins.

For casual fans and to attract new fans they want a bit shorter. I think the tv networks want shorter as well.

But yes if I had my way I would keep at 20
There is zero evidence to base this on. Ive never been at the football with casuals who get bored By the gaem being too long.

Six month off seasons are too long, shorter game time and more of them would be the go, play low attendance games mid week. Perfect time for a shake up, might help keep the now gen interested.
Agree.. Oct-March is a long lay off and the players would no doubt rather play footy than train and play scratch matches.
More games and 18min quarters and 2 more on the bench.
Start season in early march and play the GF mid Oct.

As has been said it is pretty obvious the quarter length change has drastically reduced scoring and contributed to hideous football- teams aren't getting tired so the ability to zone and defend in front of the ball persists throughout the game and one on ones never occur.

On top of that, one of the most s**t things about the arbitrary rule change is how it has majorly altered the balance of power, and in some cases jeopardized careers.

Case in point, someone like Tom Hickey. He played 20 games last year as a backup ruckman, because the west coast gameplan revolved around him being a workhorse for 10 min a quarter, wearing down the opposition and ensuring Naitanui was fresh when needed. He's played 3 games this year, of which one was the full length round 1 fixture. Essentially his career has been ended because in shorter quarter games no one can justify playing two ruckmen- how is it fair or reasonable to unilaterally spring that change on a league one week in? Similarly, the elite endurance mids whose gameplan involve running their opponents into the ground and getting free space late in quarters and games are suddenly stuck in congestion the whole game

I honestly can't think of a worse rule change. Its made games slower, uglier, lower scoring,

Case in point, someone like Tom Hickey. He played 20 games last year as a backup ruckman, because the west coast gameplan revolved around him being a workhorse for 10 min a quarter, wearing down the opposition and ensuring Naitanui was fresh when needed. He's played 3 games this year, of which one was the full length round 1 fixture. Essentially his career has been ended because in shorter quarter games no one can justify playing two ruckmen- how is it fair or reasonable to unilaterally spring that change on a league one week in? Similarly, the elite endurance mids whose gameplan involve running their opponents into the ground and getting free space late in quarters and games are suddenly stuck in congestion the whole game
Round 1 was 16 minute quarters as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back