Delisted #19: Kobe Mutch - Not offered a contract for 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder if him and a few others might get a call up this weekend if the coaches want to send a message to the playing group
Doesn't seem to be Woosha's way of doing things.

I wonder if him and a few others might get a call up this weekend if the coaches want to send a message to the playing group

Would be good to see for a few of the younger guys, but after 15 rounds I can't see it happening now. We haven't really had a ballsy coach like that since Sheeds.

It's crazy how much some coaches differ.

If we had a Luke Beveridge type coach, I reckon our 22 would look entirely different to how we'll lineup this week.

Not saying one way's better than the other, just food for thought.

Expectations are generally weighted based on draft position, and fair enough.

Given that he was taken in the third round and, from memory, ended 2016 under an injury cloud, any game Mutch could snare in 2017 was always going to be a bonus with the goal to build a long term midfielder.

A really good early indication that a player will make it is his ability to adapt his 'natural game' to playing senior footy.

While I never saw Mutch underage footy what has been on display in the VFL is the hard running (decent speed without being gas), smart, dual sided ball magnet that I read about.

This is looming as a very astute selection.

Expectations are generally weighted based on draft position, and fair enough.

Given that he was taken in the third round and, from memory, ended 2016 under an injury cloud, any game Mutch could snare in 2017 was always going to be a bonus with the goal to build a long term midfielder.

A really good early indication that a player will make it is his ability to adapt his 'natural game' to playing senior footy.

While I never saw Mutch underage footy what has been on display in the VFL is the hard running (decent speed without being gas), smart, dual sided ball magnet that I read about.

This is looming as a very astute selection.

Just lucky gws breed these for breakfast, they are over flowing out their pockets..

Is he far away from senior selection? Hearing good things about this kid.
He won't be pushing anybody out of the team this year, but he's been consistent and willing in the reserves all season. Needs a little more work before he earns his place though. Generally gets a lot of the ball and makes composed, smart choices when he has it as well. Not a bad kick either

I'm almost tempted to play him instead of Green. Rotate him with Colyer forward/mid and give him a taste.

Are you on the selection committee?

Only averaging 20 touches.

Only?

He's a rookie. And he's prob around the top 5 for most disposals in the VFL side.

Has done very well this year. Hopefully with another preseason he can put on some weight and look to breaking into the team next year. Won't be a star, but will be a large accumulator type foot soldier that helps with link up play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only?

He's a rookie. And he's prob around the top 5 for most disposals in the VFL side.

Has done very well this year. Hopefully with another preseason he can put on some weight and look to breaking into the team next year. Won't be a star, but will be a large accumulator type foot soldier that helps with link up play.
I meant it in a way that what we are seeing now isn't close to what he can be capable of, when he gets more midfield time his numbers will be a lot higher so fans shouldn't expect him to average 20 touches on a regular basis he is capable of "mutch" more ;)

He started the season really well I thought but has dropped off a little over the last few weeks.

Not unexpected for a first year player.

Has ability and will play plenty of footy for us in due time.

I don't think he has dropped of at all his midfield time varies and whenever he gets to play midfield and wing he does really well.
Yeah, I dont mean his workrate just more his influence.

I thought his marking was better earlier in the season. In particular against Sandringham he took some nice marks and was more aggressive in the air. He was great against Collingwood also. He's still playing well but just not having the same influence in my opinion.

Yeah, I dont mean his workrate just more his influence.

I thought his marking was better earlier in the season. In particular against Sandringham he took some nice marks and was more aggressive in the air. He was great against Collingwood also. He's still playing well but just not having the same influence in my opinion.
He was excellent against North Ballarat and still did some nice things last week aswell. His role changes week to week so I wouldn't be expecting big marking games from him every week, marking isn't what makes him a great player he doesn't need heaps of them to be effective.

He was excellent against North Ballarat and still did some nice things last week aswell. His role changes week to week so I wouldn't be expecting big marking games from him every week, marking isn't what makes him a great player he doesn't need heaps of them to be effective.
Yeah, I agree.

I do value the marking though because for me it's what will separate him from just any other line running wing or mid. It's a valuable asset.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back