Club History 1979 Grand Final vs South Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Jim Dixon

Club Legend
Aug 5, 2013
Canada
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Not really the most entertaining game. However it's a real John Cahill masterclass. Ken Hinkley keeps going on about 'the pursuit of mastery', well this is what it's like when you've got it.

The wind was ferocious and was the key factor of the day. Every goal was kicked to the northern end. As a personal aside I find games like this very interesting because it helps to sort out who has got a football brain and who doesn't. (see 2015 North vs West Coast at Hobart for a modern day example).

South were coached by Hayden Bunton Jr, who is a bit of a forgotten man but did some legendary stuff in WA. He never played or coached in Victoria, but he was a formidable figure nonetheless. The fact he coached South Adelaide to a grand final is testimonial to his abilities.

But he got caught out on this day. Bunton was a old style 'skills' coach and you can see in this game how his South Adelaide side couldn't cope with the co-operative skills of the Port defense. He picked a side that was too big on the day- our small forwards and mids cut South to shreds.

It wasn't a day for big men but Tim Evans put on a masterly display of how to play and kicked four great goals. Bomber Clifford and Mark Dawson (who came from North Melbourne as part of the Russell Ebert deal) were livewires across half forward but it was the defenders; Sorrell, Phillips and Eckermann who shut the Panthers down completely.

Darren Cahill, Cunningham and Mark Williams smashed them in the midfield and the day was won.

Other curiousities...

Seemed like SACA had already put a cricket pitch in the centre, presumably in case the cricket civil war continued....

Hayden Bunton smoking a cigarette in the coaches bunker in the second quarter....

South Adelaide having actual fans....

Bruce Abernethy winning his first flag at age 17- was a triple premiership player by age 19....

General dodgy umpiring interpretations....

Good write up Jim Dixon - have you seen the Port premierships thread where Macca19 and I review all the grand final seasons we have seen?

I'm not sure South had supporters or it was the usual We hate Port crowd turning up to barrack against us. :D

Good write up Jim Dixon - have you seen the Port premierships thread where Macca19 and I review all the grand final seasons we have seen?

I'm not sure South had supporters or it was the usual We hate Port crowd turning up to barrack against us. :D

I had seen it but a while back; I'd forgotten! - yeah your writeup is better then mine for sure! Lock this thread and send everyone over to that one! :thumbsu:

I had seen it but a while back; I'd forgotten! - yeah your writeup is better then mine for sure! Lock this thread and send everyone over to that one! :thumbsu:

Nah I'll leave it open if people want to discuss the 79 grand final. Not that many of us here that would have seen it! :p

And I enjoyed your write up and that you took the time to do it. I must admit I can't remember Dawson's game. He kicked 2 goals and he had a hamstring injury by the end of the game but I can't recall when he came off. I guess I could watch it again. :D

Here is a question for you.
If Tim Evans was playing in today's era would he be a number one to three draft pick???
He certainly dominated in his era.

Not really the most entertaining game. However it's a real John Cahill masterclass. Ken Hinkley keeps going on about 'the pursuit of mastery', well this is what it's like when you've got it.

The wind was ferocious and was the key factor of the day. Every goal was kicked to the northern end. As a personal aside I find games like this very interesting because it helps to sort out who has got a football brain and who doesn't. (see 2015 North vs West Coast at Hobart for a modern day example).

South were coached by Hayden Bunton Jr, who is a bit of a forgotten man but did some legendary stuff in WA. He never played or coached in Victoria, but he was a formidable figure nonetheless. The fact he coached South Adelaide to a grand final is testimonial to his abilities.

But he got caught out on this day. Bunton was a old style 'skills' coach and you can see in this game how his South Adelaide side couldn't cope with the co-operative skills of the Port defense. He picked a side that was too big on the day- our small forwards and mids cut South to shreds.

It wasn't a day for big men but Tim Evans put on a masterly display of how to play and kicked four great goals. Bomber Clifford and Mark Dawson (who came from North Melbourne as part of the Russell Ebert deal) were livewires across half forward but it was the defenders; Sorrell, Phillips and Eckermann who shut the Panthers down completely.

Darren Cahill, Cunningham and Mark Williams smashed them in the midfield and the day was won.

Other curiousities...

Seemed like SACA had already put a cricket pitch in the centre, presumably in case the cricket civil war continued....

Hayden Bunton smoking a cigarette in the coaches bunker in the second quarter....

South Adelaide having actual fans....

Bruce Abernethy winning his first flag at age 17- was a triple premiership player by age 19....

General dodgy umpiring interpretations....

It was a world series cricket pitch. Nothing to do with the SACA.

If Tim Evans was playing in today's era would he be a number one to three draft pick???

Difficult to answer that one. Tim Evans played 59 games for Geelong between 1971-74, playing his first game at 17yo. But he was better known as a key defender.

Jack Cahill tried him as a key forward during the 1975 season because he was such a strong grab and accurate kick for goal at training. Port tried a two pronged attack with Evans and Randall Gerlach but apart from one 16 goal haul between them it didn't really work.

Evans took over as the preferred key forward option from Gerlach in 1977 and the rest as they say is history.

What a long cold and wet day that was. My mate and I caught the first train from Noarlunga to the city. Bus out to Footy Park then wait in line for the gates to open. Sprint to get a front row seat in the north east pocket ( the direction not the player) Tried to stay as warm and as dry as possible in my duffle coat as possible, it wasnt.

I cant remember any of the game except that Sticks played the best game of his career and we won. Big night down at the Collonades Tavern afterwards, but then they all were when you were 17....lol

It was a world series cricket pitch. Nothing to do with the SACA.

Of course it was WSC. You found my quota error. I'm quite incapable of writing more then a sentence without several mistakes.

I meant to type SANFL but, you know, one bunch of campaigners looks very much like another.

Classic case of big men taking a while to develop. You've got to be patient with them. It's true of ruckmen and it's true of KPFs. Even the best of them.

#keepplayingbutcher

e9c74977b8aa30c858ddea48144f7075.jpg

4bbb47e9c95b5f9890629f8345cef9dc.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kym Curtis. I think he went to Torrens later on.

Another almost player. Built like a brick outhouse, strong hands and long kick, just not quite complete or consistent enough. But another Port premiership player.

Launched a 70m torp in the first quarter that Darrell Cahill roved off hands to kick a freakish goal from the pocket.

I remember Bomber's long torp with the wind that sailed through from 65m out.

And Kutchie as third man up in the ruck thumping the boundary throw-ins 12 rows back into the crowd, to waste time and any momentum South had when they kicked with the breeze.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back