Preview 1st Semi Final -Fremantle v Port (Opposition supporters welcome)

Remove this Banner Ad

Have, of, meh.

I see plenty of class at Freo actually, Walters, Fyfe, Munday, Pav, Sandi, Barlow, Ballantyne, Hill. I don't think it's a case of class, it's a case of how you use that class, similar to how Lyon used a very talented list at St Kilda and turned it into a dull, dull side to watch.
Woefully dumb analysis. You don't make top four without some class. The problem is that it is not deep enough.

Mundy and Hill for all their supposed class rarely ever hit the scoreboard. There is a distinct lack of quality tall forwards after Pavlich, as well as a forwardline with deep scoring options. Mayne, Suban and De Boer all get runs up forward and do not convert.

Compare Freo's forwardline with Hawthorn's and it's a no brainer which one you could rather have.

Every team that makes the top four has top end class. It's the players on the fringes who aren't classy enough.

Last edited:

Two years ago we were considered B grade by one and all, even with the cola.
By the Bigfooty cognoscenti? Sorry if I don't give that much weight.

In all sport, money buys premierships, and you've had many bought for you. Come back to us when you're on level pegging.

Oh FFS!!....We finished 5th on the 2014 season most goals kicked list! Keep spurting out your inaccurate crap mate.....I love how people regurgitate crap they heard about 3 years ago without actually looking at things now!! Did you fail to see the last game of the season against Port??....How many unanswered goals in a row was it??
Your mob with the supposed best forward in the game kicked a grand total of 3 more goals for the season than we did!!!...yet you guys have the best defense in the AFL in terms of least score against.....So which team plays the most defensive???!!! http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_team_rankings?year=2014&type=TT&sby=4

This. There was one Friday night game in about 2010 where the Saints beat Collingwood 60-ish to 40-something that everyone thought was a little bit boring and defensive. But for many 'followers' of the game it's the only factoid they know about Ross Lyon, and they still carry it about with them and inject it into conversation so they sound like they know what they're talking about. But of course the opposite is true.

Have, of, meh.

I see plenty of class at Freo actually, Walters, Fyfe, Munday, Pav, Sandi, Barlow, Ballantyne, Hill. I don't think it's a case of class, it's a case of how you use that class, similar to how Lyon used a very talented list at St Kilda and turned it into a dull, dull side to watch.

Exhibit A, your honour.

Woefully dumb analysis. You don't make top four without some class. The problem is that it is not deep enough.

Mundy and Hill for all their supposed class rarely ever hit the scoreboard. There is a distinct lack of quality tall forwards after Pavlich, as well as a forwardline with deep scoring options. Mayne, Suban and De Boer all get runs up forward and do not convert.

Compare Freo's forwardline with Hawthorn's an it's a no brainer which one you could rather have.

Every team that makes the top four has top end class. It's the players on the fringes who aren't classy enough.
That's called revisionist history.

They were good enough however to get you to a GF last year? And then played one of the worst grand finals in the 21st century. My read on it (along with most other neutrals) was that the game plan was terrible, along with execution. Lyon's first impulse is to not lose a game, then try to steal it after killing off all avenues to goal. When he was at St Kilda you would've said the same things about him, then he landed at Freo. You had no choice but to drink the Kool Aid.

They were good enough however to get you to a GF last year? And then played one of the worst grand finals in the 21st century. My read on it (along with most other neutrals) was that the game plan was terrible, along with execution. Lyon's first impulse is to not lose a game, then try to steal it after killing off all avenues to goal. When he was at St Kilda you would've said the same things about him, then he landed at Freo. You had no choice but to drink the Kool Aid.

wrong thread ... duritz created one just for you

What is revisionist history? I don't think you know what that term means.

db swannie there is something called the search function on these forums. From April 15, 2013 (after Freo lost to Essendon in round 3 of last year)

The periods where Fremantle has overwhelming dominance through the midfield should result in scoreboard pressure. Except it doesn't because players like Mundy and Hill hardly ever register on the scoreboard. That is despite their disposal being some of the best in the team. The side dominated in general play - clearances, inside 50s - yet had only one more scoring shot.

Top midfields get a consistent contribution of scoring across their midfield. If Fremantle is to win a premiership, the midfield must kick more goals. Missing set shots and not taking chances when they are presented are a mental thing.

Revisionist history? Get the * out.

That's because you're a dumbarse.

While we were smashing them silly in the first half we were trying to not lose the game? ******* spare me will ya

I never engage in discussions about stats, as they can be twisted this way and that. The only real stat worth discussing is the score, then work back from there.
Umm....i dont know how you interpret stats, but the points I made in my post that involved stats, involved scoring...ergo, Sydney with their supposed attacking style of play and their 6 million dollar forward line SCORED 3 more goals in total than freo did for the season!...Now you would think that with our "defensive style" as opposed to your attacking style, you guys would have kicked about 300 more ;)!! the only real stat worth discussing is the score: yep i agree nail on the head....Fremantle lost one more game for the regular season than the Swans did. hence, the important thing worth discussing is that we scored more than the other team in 16 games.
I am not sure that you even have a point......

By the Bigfooty cognoscenti? Sorry if I don't give that much weight.

In all sport, money buys premierships, and you've had many bought for you. Come back to us when you're on level pegging.
Eddie McGuire and Collingwood have bucketloads, doesn't seem to help them at the moment.
What is revisionist history? I don't think you know what that term means.
So you were saying teams don't make top 4 without some class, but not enough to win you a flag, despite making it to a GF last year:drunk:

If you're good enough to make a GF, you should be good enough to win it, and you had the cattle to do it last year, just not the game plan (and execution). Ross Lyon's fourth fail at the big dance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eddie McGuire and Collingwood have bucketloads, doesn't seem to help them at the moment.

So you were saying teams don't make top 4 without some class, but not enough to win you a flag, despite making it to a GF last year:drunk:

If you're good enough to make a GF, you should be good enough to win it, and you had the cattle to do it last year, just not the game plan (and execution). Ross Lyon's fourth fail at the big dance.

Yeah? Collingwood have exactly 9.8%less
We have been searching for a key forward through free agency for four years. Sydney just happen to have got the the best two available. Must be all about the lifestyle and the harbour bridge?

The game plan has improved and the scoring has increased. Execution has not at critical times.
And the Swans play a similar game plan.

What do the Swans have that we don't? See point one

Eddie McGuire and Collingwood have bucketloads, doesn't seem to
Wut? Their spending on players is capped, unlike yours.

You just keep getting dumber. There are plenty of clubs in living memory who were not good enough to win the GF despite having made it. Port 2007, Melbourne 2000, Carlton 1999, Sydney 1996 were all well short of being able to win a GF, which showed in their follow ups to those years - none subsequently made a dent in the comp. Fremantle join that group.

Freo had not beaten Hawthorn outside of Subi and the past five games they played against them had average losing margins of 50 points. That grand final is the closest Freo have gotten to Hawthorn away from home since 2004.

Last edited:

Well, well. Look who has flip flopped his way over to our board to discuss how well Fremantle implement the Swans' tactics.

Was
You're letting your emotions get the better of you. I very much doubt you were even at the game. There was about 100 Freo fans there. Attempting to insult Swans fans en masse won't hide the fact that there's deficiencies in your side, which happens to all clubs at certain times.

Don't be upset. Read the summation from one of your honest and rational fans just a few posts up.

If your game plan was good enough, you would of won a flag by now with it.

I was there in 105- row 7
Very quiet crowd just noticed lack of knowledge that's all
I stayed in strath field , Korea central

Remove this Banner Ad

Back