Opinion 2-2-2

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure if a Club official has stated it for the record, but a lot of talk about the preferred retirements over the next few years be staged as 2 players per season.

To date, we have seen Hale and Lake. Lake seemingly pushed to meet the quota.

So who is next? And then who is likely for 2017? I can't see it.

Initially you would think the 2016 retirements would be old 2 oldest boys, Burgoyne and Mitchell, both turned 33 recently. However Mitchell is getting better with age and Silk has played every game for the last 2 seasons. Should either go?

2017 may be Hodgey and Gibbo.
Hodgey is only 31, turns 32 in 2016. He is playing some great footy and usually only missing for a rest or suspension. Surely he survives 2016 but even 2017 looks to early to go.
Gibbo is 32 in March 2016, just coming off a B&F, AA season. Takes very good care of himself, surely 2017 is early too.

Am I missing anyone? I know the end comes quickly for the blokes north of 30, and it would be sad to see them end on a decline, but whilst they are firing, surely we let them play on. The 4 i mentioned above are surely 4 of our best 5-6 players.

Maybe it should be 2-0-2-2

2016 - none
2017 - Mitch/Silk
2018 - Gibbo/Hodge

Depends how they play in 2016 i reckon
We could have someone go down hill or decide they've had enough
Might also depend how we finish the year and what kind of pressure we have on the list with the younger players/free agents available

Im with Gralin.

I don't think you can lock anyone 'in or out', this far out
Surely that was the approach with Lake and Hale.

Nothing wrong at all with Lakes form.....couldnt help but think his body was letting him know more than ever this year. He could have played on....but how far might he have made it through next year. A KP player is needed on the park every week.

Haleys form and body was letting him know all year.

Both of these two gents make all HFC supporters extremely proud. To come in as cast offs from another club and achieve what they have.....nothing short of outstanding.

The next lot of retirees will go having achieved similarly amazing things.....whoever they may be.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

2015 really showed Silk was slowing down, so i'm guessing he is most likely in his last year with Spangher also not showing much for a 28-29 yr old, so it might be his last season also

2016 - Burgoyne, Spangher :p
2017 - Mitchell, Hodge?
2018 - Gibson, Birchall, Puopolo, Lewis?
2019 - Roughead?

thats my guess

Burgoyne - 33, Mitchell - 33, Hodge 31, Gibson 31, Lewis 29, Roughead 29, Spangher - 28, Puopolo - 28, Birchall - 28

Last edited:
Roughead, 29 next january
Lewis, 30 next april
Mitchell, 34 next october
Gibson, 32 next march
Burgoyne, 34 next october
Hodge, 32 next june
Spangher*, 29 next april
Puopolo, 29 next december

Obviously its too early to call but I have a feeling Burgoyne will be next cab off the rank. He didn't have quite the same impact on games this year but after saying that his role on the half-back line is not as demanding as others.

We're going to be in strife when most of these guys are gone.. but who cares we made the most of their best years!

*immortal & ageless

Last edited:
Lewis, 30 next april
Gibson, 32 next march
Hodge, 32 next june
Spangher*, 29 next april

Obviously its too early to call but I have a feeling Burgoyne will be next cab off the rank. He didn't have quite the same impact on games this year but after saying that his role on the half-back line is not as demanding as others.

We're going to be in strife when most of these guys are gone.. but who cares we made the most of their best years!

*immortal & ageless
Burgoyne played all 26 games in 2015 and all 25 games in 2014. Ageless. Body holding up very well.

its not his injury list situation im worried about, its his lack of impact on games in 2015....
Yep, great point.

Stats from this year.
upload_2015-11-13_14-9-54.png
Averaging 20 disposals, tackles and 3 clearances a game for a bloke firing off the back flank is still pretty good.

I think he is still delivering at all the big moments

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lewis, 30 next april
Gibson, 32 next march
Hodge, 32 next june
Spangher*, 29 next april

*immortal & ageless
When you write it like that, i instantly think of 'hawthorn hating media scum'
Mitchell is 33 & will still be 33 on Grand Final day 2016
Same goes for Burgoyne.

As for Poppy, he's 27 at the moment

Like the media, you try to make it look worse than it is.
People would glance at your list & see a couple of 34's, a couple of 32's & 3 x 29's.
When in actual fact, we will not have any player over the age of 33 on our list next season & 1 of the 29's will actually only be 28

:confused::confused: I'm confused as to why you'd write it like that

We're pretty good at replacing players, outside of Lake I don't think any one retirement is going to make a huge difference. Even replacing gun players such as Burgoyne will be feasible, since he will have presumably declined a bit when he decides to hang them up, so we'd be replacing a diminished Burgoyne rather than the star Burgoyne who wins preliminary finals off his own boot. The same goes with players like Sam Mitchell, Hodge, Lewis.

I'm really surprised as to how the usually astute posters here have missed what Silk said mid season! " I extended my contract this year to go on ONE more season and that'll be it ". Burgs will play out 2016 as his last, what happens from there is up to he and club. As for the second one? This is really hard but it's between Sammy and Gibbo. We will have close to 2 mill in the salary cap and we won't be missing out on trading in younger A grade talent next year and 2017!

If had to be 2 every year and I had to guess at this stage I'm leaning towards

2016: Burgoyne, Spangher
Burgoyne plays primarily flank so it's easier replaced by a younger player like Howe or O'Rourke. Spangher isn't really lock him in "best 22" and you'd expect with Brand, Heatherley and potentially a new recruit like Collins that he'd be moved on. Not very durable either and that's certainly not going to improve.

2017: Hodge, Mitchell
This will be a very sad day to see these two hang up the boots at the same time. Could see both potentially having another year in them at this point but would expect signs of decline to be showing and I think they'd both be content with what they've achieved.

2018: Lewis, Gibson
Lewis still has a few good years in him and Gibson still gets about like a guy in his mid 20's both on and off the field. Gibson's career should be extended similar to Glass and Scarlett's by being able to play that loose, 3rd man role. Lewis should also get the most out of himself with a return to frequent rotations at half forward.

Puopolo, Roughead, Smith and Birchall will also be 30+ at this stage. It's really hard to guess more than 1 year out. For some the cliff comes sooner than expected while others it just never seems to come. I would not be surprised in the slightest to find Sam Mitchell playing on and having an impact in 2018.

When you write it like that, i instantly think of 'hawthorn hating media scum'
Mitchell is 33 & will still be 33 on Grand Final day 2016
Same goes for Burgoyne.

As for Poppy, he's 27 at the moment

Like the media, you try to make it look worse than it is.
People would glance at your list & see a couple of 34's, a couple of 32's & 3 x 29's.
When in actual fact, we will not have any player over the age of 33 on our list next season & 1 of the 29's will actually only be 28

:confused::confused: I'm confused as to why you'd write it like that
Associating me with "hawthorn hating media scum" in any way is extremely offensive.

I wrote it that way because it shows not only how old players will be at the start of next season (my apologies if a little maths is required to calculate) and at the finish. Any mistakes I made with individual players' ages were hardly intentional.

Mitch and Silk will both play their 300th game in 2016, Hodge in 2017.

Lewi and Roughy will get there in late 2018 or early 2019.

I'm really surprised as to how the usually astute posters here have missed what Silk said mid season! " I extended my contract this year to go on ONE more season and that'll be it ". Burgs will play out 2016 as his last, what happens from there is up to he and club. As for the second one? This is really hard but it's between Sammy and Gibbo. We will have close to 2 mill in the salary cap and we won't be missing out on trading in younger A grade talent next year and 2017!
Club video or press?

Perhaps I am being naive but I consider Mitchell to be in the Boomer Harvey category that could play til 36-37 (end of '18-'19).
Not at all. Has only got better since hitting 30.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back