Autopsy Round 2, 2023: Sydney torch Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

nothing is a given

"another 30 games and 2 seasons and we ll be where Sydney is" is not a given

this mentality eg Dylan Moore presser is overly prevailing atm as if it's automatically going to happen
What do you want him to say publicly ?

' yeah weve been belted both games , looks like a long 5 year rebuild ahead . Young guys are going to take ages to gel and we arent getting enough from the senior players '

Best comment I've read so far.

What signs do you see of not taking ownership, when Scrim is coming back from a quad, Hardwick has to move forward because theres nothing there and CJ plays no differently than he does in any other game?

Hardwick especially, is one of THE most committed players to ever pull on the jumper!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Ramsden in Reeves out, couldn’t be worse than what Reeves has put out in his two preseason games and the first 2 games of the season, him and Kosi have been handicaps so far for us

Ramsden looked fantastic v Essendon 2s in the practice match but still looked too light to play at AFL level just yet. Hawks played a new guy, Rule, forward yesterday, who looked good kicking 4 and Ramsden seemed to have more time in the Ruck. I think Ramsden will be a slow burn but is a genuine talent whos time will come.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The question is moot As I said, I am backing Sam at the moment; he will have presented a plan with milestones which would have been accepted. As as he is executing his plan and not materially missing milestones, he is doing well. But, I don't have confidence the playing style is part of the plan, and if it continues, he will likely miss some milestones, and that will bring him under pressure. Carlton has learned keeping a coach that has a plan but can't execute on it for too long kicks the pain can down the road and delays success even further.

When it was decided Clarko should go, just appointing a favourite son, to me, wasn't necessarily the way to go - a thorough search of available coaching talent at the time should have been conducted. Carlton seems to have finally got there. Look at the turnaround at Collingwood once McGuire's protection of Buckley expired with his presidency; and we may well have appointed Ayres instead of Clarko - Ayres may have brough us success, but I don't think too many Hawks supporters are against the choice made with the robust selection process. Sam's appointment didn't seem to have the same quality of selection process around it, but happy to be proven wrong on that one.

At the moment, we are in for a long road to being first in line for GF tickets, and the silveware to come with it. We have some very young talent that has very good propects. We are currently lacking in depth of our senior players to steer the games and mentor the young players. I am settling into a few lean years as the young talent develops and we hopefully retain it.
Thanks Jerry Attrick
To me Mitchell was a good choice. Here is someone who has worked harder than most to play AFL.
he just worked until he achieved his goal and kept that standard - what ever he needed to do he did it.
he also stuck up for his team - the gf against Sydney when he lined up Goodes who was so much bigger than him I found admirable.
the successor to a great coach has historically been a poisoned Chalice. Look at Ferguson at MU, Arsen Wenger and Arnsnel, Kevin Sheedy and Essendon, Tom Hafey and Richmond.
I think Sam has the Grunt and stamina to take over from Clarko.
the getting of a core group of young players is the best and proven way for championship success.

I have reviewed several passages of play from the came and have come to the conclusion that most of our issues stem from a lack of defensive running and positioning to support team mates.

I think everyone will recall in the third quarter Finn receives the ball from Sicily and then turns it over to a swan for a goal. Here is my take on that play.

the play starts with a marking contest on the wing. Parker gets the crumb and quickly kicks it forward. This kind of kick should not be a threat to our defence. Newcombe And cmac are near the opponent. The numbered players all feature directly or indirectly in the goal that follows.

1679976285600.jpeg

You can see that players 2 and 3 for the swans have worked hard from the contest. 3 was behind newc and next to cmac and now has a lead on both. Frost has come in from the right of screen to provide an option. The gold lines are where I would expect the players to run through. Impey has a couple of metres on his opponent.
1679976483855.jpeg

By the time Finn looks up, trying to find a team mate, swans players have locked down on impey and frost while newc and cmac are not positioned to receive the ball because cmac’s opponent is positioned in a dangerous place between Finn and his team mates. Finn attempts a Hail Mary to the player on the far left But can’t clear the swan.
1679976853633.jpeg
Issues in this play include:
1 Sicily is way to casual in taking the ball and selling Finn into trouble.
2. Frost doesn’t push back hard to provide an option to Sicily or Finn and he is easily picked up by the swan player.
3 neither newc or cmac pick up the swan or try to beat him into the back fifty to provide an option to team mates.
4 Finn probably needed to Han all to frost and hope for a ball up. Maybe a grabber to impey might have worked out better Too.

this isn’t structural problems it’s work rate. We really need to work harder defensively to close down space and be an option for team mates.

edit: the first plays Finn looks when he gets the ball is to where newc is. I’m guessing newc was calling for it and probably no one else. i don’t think frost or impey are talking to him.

I have reviewed several passages of play from the came and have come to the conclusion that most of our issues stem from a lack of defensive running and positioning to support team mates.

I think everyone will recall in the third quarter Finn receives the ball from Sicily and then turns it over to a swan for a goal. Here is my take on that play.

the play starts with a marking contest on the wing. Parker gets the crumb and quickly kicks it forward. This kind of kick should not be a threat to our defence. Newcombe And cmac are near the opponent. The numbered players all feature directly or indirectly in the goal that follows.

View attachment 1642533

You can see that players 2 and 3 for the swans have worked hard from the contest. 3 was behind newc and next to cmac and now has a lead on both. Frost has come in from the right of screen to provide an option. The gold lines are where I would expect the players to run through. Impey has a couple of metres on his opponent.
View attachment 1642538

By the time Finn looks up, trying to find a team mate, swans players have locked down on impey and frost while newc and cmac are not positioned to receive the ball because cmac’s opponent is positioned in a dangerous place between Finn and his team mates. Finn attempts a Hail Mary to the player on the far left But can’t clear the swan.
View attachment 1642545
2. Frost doesn’t push back hard to provide an option to Sicily or Finn and he is easily picked up by the swan player.
3 neither newc or cmac pick up the swan or try to beat him into the back fifty to provide an option to team mates.
4 Finn probably needed to Han all to frost and hope for a ball up. Maybe a grabber to impey might have worked out better Too.

this isn’t structural problems it’s work rate. We really need to work harder defensively to close down space and be an option for team mates.

edit: the first plays Finn looks when he gets the ball is to where newc is. I’m guessing newc was calling for it and probably no one else. i don’t think frost or impey are talking to him.
It’s all down to Mills working harder into their forward 50 than Newc and CMac who didn’t have the desire / fitness to go with him (despite us having to defend).

Swap Mills into a brown jumper and the exit handball is there for Finn, with another team mate 5-10 m away to receive the next one and break to the open side.

View attachment 1642533

View attachment 1642538

View attachment 1642545

I watched us live v Scum and our guys were trying to work but had nothing in the tank. That is why i am questioning our fitness...we look a mile off being able to keep up let alone take the game on.

Lowest pressure score since the stat was recorded backs that up as does a worse performance the week after a low watermark when if we had anything to show we would have. It's why I'm reluctant to point the finger at individual players at this point in time. It looks like a systemic failing by the club. Hawthorn is a VERY different proposition to Richmond as a squad.

I watched us live v Scum and our guys were trying to work but had nothing in the tank. That is why i am questioning our fitness...we look a mile off being able to keep up let alone take the game on.

Lowest pressure score since the stat was recorded backs that up as does a worse performance the week after a low watermark when if we had anything to show we would have. It's why I'm reluctant to point the finger at individual players at this point in time. It looks like a systemic failing by the club. Hawthorn is a VERY different proposition to Richmond as a squad.
We’re in a tough training block in preparation for finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need to keep the faith. Peter Burge built that Richmond list up to be a powerful strong running unit.
The faith is not in doubt given his record. But perhaps he has misread our list in his first period in charge.

Interestingly though in our 2 games to date we’ve covered the same amount of Km’s as the Swans and we had 1 km less than the Bombers.

What we’re not doing is as many sprints, which is surely mental, as each and every player that jumped onto a podcast over summer rookie of the sprint work Burge had them doing in each session and how that was a change in focus for them.

002757EA-BE0D-49F8-9D56-B4F4409403E4.jpeg E3882906-CDB1-4885-AB5F-260E740987BE.jpeg B0685F96-04B6-4DBF-A42C-AD16CBD2FE56.jpeg E34E6861-DF45-469A-9531-9C0307CAC553.jpeg

The faith is not in doubt given his record. But perhaps he has misread our list in his first period in charge.

The senior players fitness concerns me at the minute.

Frost and Impey for example look as tho they have cement in their boots at the minute and both these lads once upon a time were serious power runners.

The senior players fitness concerns me at the minute.

Frost and Impey for example look as tho they have cement in their boots at the minute and both these lads once upon a time were serious power runners.
Impey lead us for Sprint efforts on the weekend and Frost was the fastest Hawk on the field according to the GPS numbers.

Interestingly though in our 2 games to date we’ve covered the same amount of Km’s as the Swans and we had 1 km less than the Bombers.

What we’re not doing is as many sprints, which is surely mental, as each and every player that jumped onto a podcast over summer rookie of the sprint work Burge had them doing in each session and how that was a change in focus for them.

View attachment 1642949View attachment 1642952View attachment 1642950View attachment 1642951
If you have a look at speed in attack, it’s all hawks. If you look at speed in defence, it’s all swans. Same as last week. We are only working hard one way.

If you have a look at speed in attack, it’s all hawks. If you look at speed in defence, it’s all swans. Same as last week. We are only working hard one way.
It’s a symptom of the way we play. We look to move the ball on a lot quicker than other teams. So our speed in attack is higher that our speed in defence.

The opposite is also true of our opposition, as they move the ball slower they don’t run as quick offensively but have to run faster defensively to keep up.

Not to say our defending hasn’t been terrible but the numbers themselves match up with what would be expected given the oppositions offensive running.

View attachment 1642949View attachment 1642952View attachment 1642950View attachment 1642951
And of course, Reeves could have been running flat out but not be considered to be 'sprinting' in any usual sense of the word....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back