AFL Player # 2: Sam Draper

Remove this Banner Ad

Wasn't an almost game IMO. Took some very important pack marks for us to either retain possession or get it back and was dominant in the middle.

As mentioned, was an almost game for big Sammy. Could have absolutely torn the game apart but didn't quite hit the heights he could.

As mentioned, was an almost game for big Sammy. Could have absolutely torn the game apart but didn't quite hit the heights he could.
And as I said, I disagree with that.

Upgrade at the end of the year is a dead set certainty. Try and re-rookie him and some other club will swoop with a senior offer, ala Jenkins.
He's contracted for next year.

You don't have to worry about Draper being on the rookie list - A club comes knocking and you swap him with a player from the primary list - Which is what the club could have done with Jenkins years ago.

Without having seen the game I think Yoda has the right approach.

Where Draper has come from and his age is now just a side story and a bit of a distraction. It will make for great reading when he debuts, when he starts to prove himself and reach milestones, etc.

He's a legitimate VFL grade ruckman even as a 19 year old. Given all of the different things he is capable of he should be dominating matches.

It's lapses in intensity above head and some stray kicks that there is no real need to excuse him for that have been frustrating in the last few matches and holding him back from dominating.

He's already too good for the 'good game for a developing player' platitudes.

I mark him as harshly as I'd mark Laverde, Parish, Francis or Redman playing in the twos.

Without having seen the game I think Yoda has the right approach.

Where Draper has come from and his age is now just a side story and a bit of a distraction. It will make for great reading when he debuts, when he starts to prove himself and reach milestones, etc.

He's a legitimate VFL grade ruckman even as a 19 year old. Given all of the different things he is capable of he should be dominating matches.

It's lapses in intensity above head and some stray kicks that there is no real need to excuse him for that have been frustrating in the last few matches and holding him back from dominating.

He's already too good for the 'good game for a developing player' platitudes.

I mark him as harshly as I'd mark Laverde, Parish, Francis or Redman playing in the twos.

You couldn't possibly mark him as harshly as those 4 you mentioned. This is his 2nd year at Essendon & 3rd year of playing football (not the round ball variety) . He's clearly a work in progress, and yesterday was another step forward.Threw his weight around, took grabs & some of his tap work was very crafty. His skills still need a lot of work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You couldn't possibly mark him as harshly as those 4 you mentioned. This is his 2nd year at Essendon & 3rd year of playing football (not the round ball variety) . He's clearly a work in progress, and yesterday was another step forward.Threw his weight around, took grabs & some of his tap work was very crafty. His skills still need a lot of work.

It wasn't the best choice of words because ultimately Draper does have the fall back that you've referred to and I wouldn't loose patience with him or anything like that.

I just don't think it's necessary to give him the break when assessing his performances. He's checked off the 'encouraging for a long term project player' box and probably did it by this time last year. The expectation on him should be to impact the game in the way you'd expect a quality VFL player to impact a match because he can do it.

If he's below that standard, he's not playing as well as he should be.

If we can hold onto him after next year into 2020 he is odds on to take over TBC easily by then end of that year i reckon.

Development is unreal to this point. The issue is other AFL clubs are probably keeping tabs and it seems to be the AFL way to cherry pick rucks aftwr another club develops them.

If we can hold onto him after next year into 2020 he is odds on to take over TBC easily by then end of that year i reckon.

Development is unreal to this point. The issue is other AFL clubs are probably keeping tabs and it seems to be the AFL way to cherry pick rucks aftwr another club develops them.

I don't think it's something to really worry about.

As most have suggested, he won't be ready for a full time AFL ruck role until at least 2020 - at which point, Bellchambers will be 31 and Leuey will be 32. And we'll have a heap of money.

90% of the time players leave, it's either for more money or for more opportunity. We'll be able to offer both.

I reckon he's a good chance to play as soon as next year - developing really nicely. Getting to be a real presence physically ...

It wasn't the best choice of words because ultimately Draper does have the fall back that you've referred to and I wouldn't loose patience with him or anything like that.

I just don't think it's necessary to give him the break when assessing his performances. He's checked off the 'encouraging for a long term project player' box and probably did it by this time last year. The expectation on him should be to impact the game in the way you'd expect a quality VFL player to impact a match because he can do it.

If he's below that standard, he's not playing as well as he should be.

Well said.

It's a sliding scale of expectation. I think the club are upping the expectations & increasing his role & responsibilities throughout this year.

For me, his development has been impressive. Keep going, son!

If you get a chance to watch todays replay against Richmond, do it!

Draper was brilliant today, really learning to throw his weight around and despite coming up against kids similar in age to himself, is really putting his stamp on the game.

More marks, more possessions around the ground, am genuinely excited to see Sam get a senior game sooner rather than later and no worry about our ruck stocks heading into the future with Sam showing plenty of signs to be a very decent AFL standard ruckmen.

If you get a chance to watch todays replay against Richmond, do it!

Draper was brilliant today, really learning to throw his weight around and despite coming up against kids similar in age to himself, is really putting his stamp on the game.

More marks, more possessions around the ground, am genuinely excited to see Sam get a senior game sooner rather than later and no worry about our ruck stocks heading into the future with Sam showing plenty of signs to be a very decent AFL standard ruckmen.

Won't get time to watch it, did he push forward at all today or was it just a solid ruck/midfield type performance?

Good to hear. We seriously lack a second tier ruckman against sides like collingwood who can rotate players like grundy and cox. Mkernan and colyer were seriously outstretched today. No doubt when daniher returns the options are greater.

He'll be a Kreuzer type ruckman I think. Big, covers the ground well, throws his weight around, hopefully, he has more luck with injuries. Needs to improve on his clunking and his kicking.

Happy to hear Draper is coming along so well.

So is he ready to be our #2 , effectively making Luey expendable ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back