AFL Player # 2: Sam Draper

Remove this Banner Ad

If we are fair dinkum he debuts next week.

If he did debut and played like TBell and McKernan did today he would be dropped, let’s make players actually earn their spot I know Draper will atleast give 100%.

Do we actually as a club see him as the future? if we do the time is now.

Why not saints only have Lewis Peirce as their main ruck anyway.

Was pleasantly surprised at not just his tap work (has always been quite good at this craft, and against a bloke who has hardly played AFL before.

His work around the ground was really good. 22 possessions with 5 marks was impressive. Still dropped a couple but playing him against Brisbane won’t be the worst idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Needs to stop taking the back position in ruck contests around the ground. Could add another 20 hit outs to his game if he played from the front and he will not be reaching over the opposition ruck at AFL level.

This kid is ready, simply must play
Nope. Yeah he beat Lynch but Lynch is pretty bad. So far he's beaten two pretty bad rucks and been beaten by one of the few AFL standard rucks in the competition.

Nope. Yeah he beat Lynch but Lynch is pretty bad. So far he's beaten two pretty bad rucks and been beaten by one of the few AFL standard rucks in the competition.
Nah I’ll stick with my yep. Ham wasn’t ready last week yet still got a game and Draper has the size to atleast compete and has shown he can play out a full game and imo does all the right things as a young ruck. He is one of the young players I’m most worried about leaving and even against good opposition last year I thought he rucked well, I no longer see any reason to hold him back from getting a debut.

Nah I’ll stick with my yep. Ham wasn’t ready last week yet still got a game and Draper has the size to atleast compete and has shown he can play out a full game and imo does all the right things as a young ruck. He is one of the young players I’m most worried about leaving and even against good opposition last year I thought he rucked well, I no longer see any reason to hold him back from getting a debut.
And I'll stick with disagreeing with that. It's not as if he destroyed what is a poor VFL ruckman, he beat him without dominating. On exposed form right now he's been beaten by the one fringe AFL standard ruck he's come up against in Tom Campbell. If next week he beats Smith/Abbott/Fort, then and only then would I consider him to be close to ready for AFL. I have little doubt that he'll get games second half of the year, but not next week for me.

And I'll stick with disagreeing with that. It's not as if he destroyed what is a poor VFL ruckman, he beat him without dominating. On exposed form right now he's been beaten by the one fringe AFL standard ruck he's come up against in Tom Campbell. If next week he beats Smith/Abbott/Fort, then and only then would I consider him to be close to ready for AFL. I have little doubt that he'll get games second half of the year, but not next week for me.
If he plays at the next level I’m not expecting him to beat anyone and I fully expect him to make a lot of mistakes but id take a chance on his talent and really start to give him that AFL experience, at the end of the day all the best rucks he could come up against and learn from aren’t playing VFL and it’s our AFL mids he needs experience with.

If he plays at the next level I’m not expecting him to beat anyone and I fully expect him to make a lot of mistakes but id take a chance on his talent and really start to give him that AFL experience, at the end of the day all the best rucks he could come up against and learn from aren’t playing VFL and it’s our AFL mids he needs experience with.
Neither am I, but until he consistently beats those on the fringe (like Campbell, or Smith next week, or Billy Longer down the track) I would question his ability to be able to compete with them.

No point feeding your best piece of scotch fillet steak to your dog while you eat a cheese sandwich

Neither am I, but until he consistently beats those on the fringe (like Campbell, or Smith next week, or Billy Longer down the track) I would question his ability to be able to compete with them.
Personally I have a lot of faith in Draper and think when he does get a senior game many will be happy with his output even if he is only given a small taste it’s better than nothing.

Personally I have a lot of faith in Draper and think when he does get a senior game many will be happy with his output even if he is only given a small taste it’s better than nothing.
Don't get me wrong, I think he'll be a player, but right here, right now? I doubt he does anything in the AFL.

Think he needs to earn it first. Not taking chances to give him experience in a year where we’re finally a chance to win some finals. He’s not very good up forward, only chance I see is if TBC gets injured. Even then Clarke will be ahead of him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back