AFL Player # 2: Sam Draper

Remove this Banner Ad

Played well last night but can we all stop pretending he dominated please.

Nice game, tried hard but as a B grade ruck, he probably drew even on points with the Hawks rucks imho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
it wasn’t just the ruck work though, it was also the second efforts, the way he stood up tall for his team mates and that dirty, dirty mullet thing he’s doing. A grade for sure.

Not the dominant game we hoped for. Was part of the midfield group that got rolled in Q3. Hawks worked out he likes to go soft back over his head in the centre bounces and sharked a few whereas it had worked in the first half. I’d like to see him more willing (or encouraged) to tap at 10 and 2 to create more uncertainty for the opposition midfield.

Honestly the commentary around Bellchambers on this board is pathetic. Especially from you. For the majority of his career he was a solid ruck and plied his trade, as well as most of the AFL, if not better
Not to mention that TBC was one of the better tap ruckman, which is an area Draper needs to work on. The perfect player to teach Draper.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought he had a lot of positives; got his hand to the ball at plenty of contests, combative at ground level, tackles, engaged in the play.

His big weakness for me - using the ball when he gets his hand to it in the ruck contest. On a number of occasions he won the tap but it was to no advantage. Bellchamber is / was always very good at that aspect of ruck craft, so is actually a good person to be working with Draper.

Natanui vs Grundy is your comparison; Grundy gets to a truckload of contests, plays massive TOG% but doesn't generally give much of an advantage with his hitouts. Natanui gets to far less, but his aggression at ground level and ability to use the ball when he wins the tap makes him incredibly damaging from much lower TOG%. Totally changes how the Eagles setup.

Drapers aggression makes him a Mumford-esque ruckman, just more mobile. If he can get his tap work up to the level Bellchambers was at, he'll be one of the better in the comp.

McEvoy is also highly underrated as a ruckman, one of the best in the comp after that Gawn - Grundy - Goldstein - Natanui group.

Honestly the commentary around Bellchambers on this board is pathetic. Especially from you. For the majority of his career he was a solid ruck and plied his trade, as well as most of the AFL, if not better
Hey man I think we all like Belly, but we just all like big boy as well.

McEvoy is also highly underrated as a ruckman, one of the best in the comp after that Gawn - Grundy - Goldstein - Natanui group.

I didn't notice if it was happening in the first half, but in the third qtr McEvoy moved around at the centre bounces to almost try to take Draper side on. I think he got pinged in the last qtr for shepherding in the ruck, I suspect they changed tack after the ease with which we won the ball out of the centre in the second qtr, and we didn't adjust quickly enough.

I didn't notice if it was happening in the first half, but in the third qtr McEvoy moved around at the centre bounces to almost try to take Draper side on. I think he got pinged in the last qtr for shepherding in the ruck, I suspect they changed tack after the ease with which we won the ball out of the centre in the second qtr, and we didn't adjust quickly enough.

McEvoy is very smart, Draper is young and athletic but doesn't have the experience yet.

It’s hard not to love Draper’s attack on the ball and his work at ground level is superb.

One thing that should be discussed is his tackling technique. While his effort can’t be questioned his habit of using the momentum of his body to roll and tackle his opponent across his fallen body could very quickly and easily result in a perceived sling tackle and report.

Would hate to see him forced to sit a week or two due to being adjudicated as executing an illegal and dangerous tackle.

It’s hard not to love Draper’s attack on the ball and his work at ground level is superb.

One thing that should be discussed is his tackling technique. While his effort can’t be questioned his habit of using the momentum of his body to roll and tackle his opponent across his fallen body could very quickly and easily result in a perceived sling tackle and report.

Would hate to see him forced to sit a week or two due to being adjudicated as executing an illegal and dangerous tackle.
Agree, it shouldn’t be his fault he’s just bigger and stronger than most though. Also can solid post:username correlation

He may not dominate as much as we had have hoped...but it was a pretty quiet weekend for most the rucks across the comp. Except up north where it was wet and more stoppages. Without knowing the stats it seemed there was less congestion and stoppages with the new game style. Max Gawn said he was struggling and getting in bad spots, not able to get back and forward quick enough with the ball pinging over his head.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back