Retired # 2: Tom Bellchambers - Knocks Cam Mooney the **** out - 24/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Feels likes we're already at the point that he's taken the ruck spot from Leuenberger even though it is only two games.

He's playing with a physical presence which is not something we have previously seen much of.

Whether it is an instruction/positioning thing or his read of the play he also find a lot more easy ball than Leuenberger.

Very happy to see this from Bellchambers and happy to be wrong.

I have to admit I didn't rate him highly and I tended to disregard his 2013 form because it was so long ago. I'm not quite ready to say I was totally wrong but credit where its due he's made a real impact so far. If he keeps it up for a good run of games he could form an important component of our team.

We all saw great signs with his contested marking and around the ground work against Port. Lets hope he can keep it up.

never rated him, but he's grown a serious set of nurries. didn't do heaps around the ground and without looking too closely i'd suggest should've been in some better spots in those last few minutes as a bail-out and cause a stoppage option. still, been bossing ruck contests and throwing his weight around a lot more than i ever thought he could.

• Is apparently in a ruck/forward combo with Daniher.
  • Decided to be a leader and be really physical around the contest.
  • Winning more contested possessions than he did in 2014/2015, and kicking a few goals as well.
  • Happy Birthday Tom :)

Have to ask why he only just decided to take a more physical attitude... but better late than never I suppose.

Peter Ryan said:
T-Bell's aggression rings the changes for Dons
ESSENDON ruckman Tom Bellchambers wanted to set the tone from the first bounce at the MCG on Saturday.

He delivered.

Having played in just one win in his six games this season and been involved in the past two horror fade-outs, he knew it was time to respond.

"As a big man in the middle of the ground you really need to take it upon yourself, so I thought I had to start well and get the boys to follow me," Bellchambers told AFL.com.au.

He won the second clearance of the game with his follow-up work and set a platform.

Soon after Joe Daniher went into the centre bounce to give the Bombers two centre clearances to help them kick two goals, and the midfield group was on their way.

Bellchambers put a tap down Jobe Watson's throat and then kicked the Bombers' fourth and fifth goals to set up a 15-point lead at quarter-time.

"I had a mentality around the contest to be really physical. I know if I am doing that I am in the game and the mids will follow me."

At quarter-time the centre clearances were 6-1 in Essendon's favour and it had a lead it would never surrender.

"We needed to respond. We weren't happy with the way we played last week," Bellchambers said.

It was Bellchambers' seventh game in succession after knee surgery led to a frustrating pre-season following the suspension in 2016.

After playing one game against Melbourne in round six, he had to earn his spot back via the VFL.

A six-goal haul against Coburg saw him return in round 10 and he has played each game since to reclaim the ruck spot.

"I am back in the groove with things now," Bellchambers said.

He's winning contested possessions more often than he did in 2014 and 2015 and he has a nice return of 6.1, making him more than a little annoying around goal for the opposition.

Bellchambers turns 28 on Sunday and is forming a good ruck/forward combination with the electrifying Joe Daniher.

It's enough to put a smile on the big man's face.

"I am super-happy to be back here playing football and winning games of footy," he said.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-07-09/tbells-aggression-rings-the-changes-for-dons

Good game yesterday. Like that when he drifts forward he has an impact.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Would like to see him take a few more marks. If he is going to be in position in the middle he has to clunk a few more of the contested marks that come his way. Played well but zero possessions in 2 quarters needs fixing.

I've really liked his games since returning to the senior side. He is actually becoming the player we always hoped he would become. Making an impact up forward while he rests up there is really the cherry on the cake. Should have kicked 3 if he didn't miss from like 15 meters out.

By ruckman standards his disposal is pretty good too and he's even OK at receiving handballs and getting the ball on quickly (again using the generous ruckman scale).

I actually think the Bellchambers / Daniher combo in the ruck is really potent. I mean Daniher can't really ruck but damn he's amazing around the ground to the point where no one cares. Bellchambers is your traditional ruck type but he can clunk some contested marks and can kick straight.

I didn't really expect much from Bellchambers this year but with his form this year and Leuey still a decent backup our ruck stocks are looking quite reasonable. Especially with McKernan as the break in case of emergency option and Draper showing good signs of being a future ruckman for us in the VFL (albeit probably a fair ways off right now).
There aren't any stars there but some pretty solid options.

Has been going well. Struggled against Martin for one quarter which was the same as McKernan. His best performance was against Ryder who continues to dominate the competition.

Sent from my SM-G9250 using Tapatalk

I've really liked his games since returning to the senior side. He is actually becoming the player we always hoped he would become. Making an impact up forward while he rests up there is really the cherry on the cake. Should have kicked 3 if he didn't miss from like 15 meters out.

By ruckman standards his disposal is pretty good too and he's even OK at receiving handballs and getting the ball on quickly (again using the generous ruckman scale).

I actually think the Bellchambers / Daniher combo in the ruck is really potent. I mean Daniher can't really ruck but damn he's amazing around the ground to the point where no one cares. Bellchambers is your traditional ruck type but he can clunk some contested marks and can kick straight.

I didn't really expect much from Bellchambers this year but with his form this year and Leuey still a decent backup our ruck stocks are looking quite reasonable. Especially with McKernan as the break in case of emergency option and Draper showing good signs of being a future ruckman for us in the VFL (albeit probably a fair ways off right now).
There aren't any stars there but some pretty solid options.
I agree. I'd like to get one more late in this years draft simply because the lead time required to develop a kid into an AFL standard ruckman is so long but I'd say we're pretty well set for the next couple of years at least

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly surprised he only had 8 touches. Thought he was better than Grundy
I think he copped an injury, maybe a corkie late in the first quarter.

I'm not gunna lie. If I hadn't forgotten him I'd all but given up on him. It's like getting a free, awesome player just given to you. Remember that concern you had with your ruck division? Here you are! Happy birthday for being such a good boy. Have a Tom Bellchambers. Really??? Gee thanks Dad!!!!!!!!

Goals kicked by ruckmen - 2017 (games played in brackets) *

Ben McEvoy 11 (11)
Todd Goldstein 10 (14)
Matthew Kruezer 9 (14)
Tom Bellchambers 8 (8)
Nathan Vardy 7 (15)

*note - these are ruckmen and not the second forward/main forwards who go into the ruck ala Charlie Dixon, Ben Brown etc

His ability to go forward and take big contested marks is the most pleasing aspect.
Gives the opposition backline more to worry about.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back