Certified Legendary Thread 2 x Premiership Coach Chris Scott contracted to 2026 (aka the Chris Scott volumes

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t disagree but do you think for example if we DIDNT bring in Smith and Higgins this season we would have fared better?

I do.
We may have found a potential player having been forced into playing a kid. Injuries opened the door for Holmes and he showed promise for the future ahead.
Higgins is contracted for next year isn't he?
You think Scott's leaving him in the magoo's :$

My boy? What does that mean?

I don’t disagree but do you think for example if we DIDNT bring in Smith and Higgins this season we would have fared better?
beyond 1 year most likely yes. This has been our point all along - for anyone to suggest that they club hasn't gone "all-in" for a premiership this year and limiting our future depth in the process is kidding themselves and ultimately that strategy failed - if you're in the business to win premierships then yes that is failing.

We want a more long term approach to the football department and the fact that assistants are now jumping confirms to me they also collectively see this as the end.

I wanted it 3-4 years ago but I'll take it now.

beyond 1 year most likely yes. This has been our point all along - for anyone to suggest that they club hasn't gone "all-in" for a premiership this year and limiting our future depth in the process is kidding themselves and ultimately that strategy failed - if you're in the business to win premierships then yes that is failing.

We want a more long term approach to the football department and the fact that assistants are now jumping confirms to me they also collectively see this as the end.

I wanted it 3-4 years ago but I'll take it now.

in this actual thread there are people moaning about how we decided to move older players on 7-8 years ago. It seems either way they are going to cop it

in this actual thread there are people moaning about how we decided to move older players on 7-8 years ago. It seems either way they are going to cop it
You are being a tad disingenuous here.
Like most of arguments defending the clubs strategy. They are just not quite right.
Giving players like Chappy and StevieJ the arse who gave so much to us and still were good and deserved to be treated so much better is in now way in the same universe as getting Jenkins cause he's Danger's mate or Isaac Smith cause he wanted a sea change.

You are being a tad disingenuous here.
Like most of arguments defending the clubs strategy. They are just not quite right.
Giving players like Chappy and StevieJ the arse who gave so much to us and still were good and deserved to be treated so much better is in now way in the same universe as getting Jenkins cause he's Danger's mate or Isaac Smith cause he wanted a sea change.

We got Jenkins as a back-up option to Tom Hawkins that people had been pleading for for years. And to be honest while I don’t think he should have played for us more than he did, he was as good as anyone available when we picked him up. I don’t really see ‘why’ we got those players as being at all relevant anyway. We got them, end of.

People want us to be ruthless and end careers and move players on so we can in turn move forward. At the end of the day what they’ve done on the field doesn’t buy them more time if they’re not at that level anymore, or can’t take us in the direction we want to go.

whether someone is Steve Johnson, or Stewart Crameri or Josh Jenkins, they all turn up to training every day, they all put in the effort, they all contribute to the club in some way.

it is very very harsh to be taking shots at a club for not being ruthless enough in basically all off field management, and then whinging about ruthless moves we’ve made in the past just because those moves were made against players perceived as club heroes. The only player we let go or tapped on the shoulder who I believe wasn’t the right move Was Johnson - and even he while still very capable, wasn’t getting any better.

We got Jenkins as a back-up option to Tom Hawkins that people had been pleading for for years. And to be honest while I don’t think he should have played for us more than he did, he was as good as anyone available when we picked him up. I don’t really see ‘why’ we got those players as being at all relevant anyway. We got them, end of.

People want us to be ruthless and end careers and move players on so we can in turn move forward. At the end of the day what they’ve done on the field doesn’t buy them more time if they’re not at that level anymore, or can’t take us in the direction we want to go.

whether someone is Steve Johnson, or Stewart Crameri or Josh Jenkins, they all turn up to training every day, they all put in the effort, they all contribute to the club in some way.

it is very very harsh to be taking shots at a club for not being ruthless enough in basically all off field management, and then whinging about ruthless moves we’ve made in the past just because those moves were made against players perceived as club heroes. The only player we let go or tapped on the shoulder who I believe wasn’t the right move Was Johnson - and even he while still very capable, wasn’t getting any better.
Of course they are. Because we go for the Geelong Footy Club. Not the defend the management or the coach club.
Except many do now. ("Go Isaac Smith. I actually always liked him")
Of course we are not going to be as ruthless to Chappy who still had a good year left and was a key driver on and off field to turn us from bridesmaids to winners as we are to Josh Jenkins or Lachie Henderson who actually don't have much to offer now and who's contribution is bar a grain of sand on a beach compared to him.
Not only is it loyalty. It has merit.
The ones we didn’t throw away for free we traded for a bloke who literally walked out on 2 clubs and was toxic.

Of course they are. Because we go for the Geelong Footy Club. Not the defend the management or the coach club.
Of course we are not going to be as ruthless to Chappy who still had a good year left and was a key driver on and off field to turn us from bridesmaids to winners as we are to Josh Jenkins or Lachie Henderson who actually don't have much to offer now and who's contribution is bar a grain of sand on a beach compared to him.
The ones we didn’t throw away for free we traded for a bloke who literally walked out on 2 clubs and was toxic.

Had a good year left? Not sure about that. His output at Essendon was nothing special.
Selwood is a key driver of our success and I would have no issue if they asked him to retire.

Don’t really know what Henderson has done to be dragged into this. Until
His last six weeks he’s been an incredibly solid contributor for us and rightly now he should be told to have a rest

The argument makes no sense.
The negative faction wants to throw away a coach who’s lived in the top four and is a seasoned, good, proven performer who played a huge role in one our crowning moments across 160 years of existence.

Thanks and goodbye - time to be ruthless and see a preliminary final as failure. We only accept the best.
Oh but on the other hand so and so has been a great servant of the club who was past his best, still good but not winning us anything, and we should give him more games just to suit the narrative.

Make up your minds.

Had a good year left? Not sure about that. His output at Essendon was nothing special.
Selwood is a key driver of our success and I would have no issue if they asked him to retire.

His last six weeks he’s been an incredibly solid contributor for us and rightly now he should be told to have a rest

The negative faction wants to throw away a coach who’s lived in the top four and is a seasoned, good, proven performer who played a huge role in one our crowning moments across 160 years of existence.

Thanks and goodbye - time to be ruthless and see a preliminary final as failure. We only accept the best.
Oh but on the other hand so and so has been a great servant of the club who was past his best, still good but not winning us anything, and we should give him more games just to suit the narrative.

Make up your minds.
If a coach had a 33% record durring the H & A season after 11 years they would be sacked , I don’t see any reason why it would be different with a 33% finals record after 11 years ….when is enough is enough ?

Having said that I don’t think the club will sack him anytime soon but when does the hard questions get asked?

If a coach had a 33% record durring the H & A season after 11 years they would be sacked , I don’t see any reason why it would be different with a 33% finals record after 11 years ….when is enough is enough ?

Having said that I don’t think the club will sack him anytime soon but when does the hard questions get asked?

That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.
No ifs, no buts.
Not the idea of getting rid of Scott - I can see a handful of reasons why that would be the correct move.

equating a finals win percentage with a home and away one?

that is not among them.

Make up your minds.
His first year at Essendon was quite good. 10 times better than anyone we replaced him with.
What a terrible decision. Not only loyalty wise to someone who took pay cuts but on field performance as well.
I would lose my s**t if they asked Selwood to go.
Why? Nothing to gain by doing it. Helped us win 3 flags.
But I suppose if you agreed with giving StevieJ the arse you would have to agree even more with telling Selwood to f**k off.
Yeah technically Crameri, Henderson are the same as Joel Selwood and Chapman cause they played footy.
But it is disingenuous to use that technicality to say they are the same to us and to the club.
I don't want to turf out the coach. Not my favourite coach ever, but this era is his. And Selwood's too.
They deserve to see their plans through to the end IMO.

That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.
No ifs, no buts.
Not the idea of getting rid of Scott - I can see a handful of reasons why that would be the correct move.

equating a finals win percentage with a home and away one?

that is not among them.
Cool just have another 11 years of poor finals record before the questions get asked

His first year at Essendon was quite good. 10 times better than anyone we replaced him with.
What a terrible decision. Not only loyalty wise to someone who took pay cuts but on field performance as well.
I would lose my sh*t if they asked Selwood to go.
Why? Nothing to gain by doing it. Helped us win 3 flags.
But I suppose if you agreed with giving StevieJ the arse you would have to agree even more with telling Selwood to f**k off.
Yeah technically Crameri, Henderson are the same as Joel Selwood and Chapman cause they played footy.
But it is disingenuous to use that technicality to say they are the same to us and to the club.
I don't want to turf out the coach. Not my favourite coach ever, but this era is his. And Selwood's too.
They deserve to see their plans through to the end IMO.

Again, make up your mind.

be ruthless and say ‘second or third isn’t good enough’ and revamp the club, or don’t, and give everyone a pension for good service.

I don’t necessarily lean one way or the other but it seems a very contradictory stance to take

Cool just have another 11 years of poor finals record before the questions get asked

Questions get asked because we are continually not quite good enough against the elite teams. It suggests - wait for it - that we have been good but not quite good enough.

questions about a 33 per cent home and away record would beg only one question: why was this bloke even employed in the first place

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Questions get asked because we are continually not quite good enough against the elite teams. It suggests - wait for it - that we have been good but not quite good enough.

questions about a 33 per cent home and away record would beg only one question: why was this bloke even employed in the first place
It would indicate that the coach has got as much out of the group as possible as is not good enough , whether that’s the H&A record or the finals record …11 years is a long enough time to rely on the hard data that he’s no good in finals

Again, make up your mind.

be ruthless and say ‘second or third isn’t good enough’ and revamp the club, or don’t, and give everyone a pension for good service.

I don’t necessarily lean one way or the other but it seems a very contradictory stance to take
What stance am I taking. I'm not wanting Selwood or Scott to get the arse.
I very much didn't want Chappy or StevieJ to get the arse.
It's kind of the same stance.
I wanted to revamp as you say back in 2012 and posted that way for years. It was the time.
Now is not the time. We are stuck. We got Cameron. We don't have great picks and not much talent coming through.
What choice do we have? Might as well let the club finish their plan.
Doesn't mean I have to like it, and it won't bring flags but there's no other choice now.

What stance am I taking. I'm not wanting Selwood or Scott to get the arse.
I very much didn't want Chappy or StevieJ to get the arse.
It's kind of the same stance.
I wanted to revamp as you say back in 2012 and posted that way for years. It was the time.
Now is not the time. We are stuck. We got Cameron. We don't have great picks and not much talent coming through.
What choice do we have? Might as well let the club finish their plan.
Doesn't mean I have to like it, and it won't bring flags but there's no other choice now.

Ok so we revamped at that stage and you say you wanted to - what was the problem with moving on the older players then?

sorry if it sounded like my question and comments were specifically targeting you it was more a generic observation about a lot of the ‘what a waste of time this has been’ faction that’s all

Ok so we revamped at that stage and you say you wanted to - what was the problem with moving on the older players then?

sorry if it sounded like my question and comments were specifically targeting you it was more a generic observation about a lot of the ‘what a waste of time this has been’ faction that’s all
We didn't have to move barely anyone on.
Most left at close to the right time.
Just did not need to trade players in or get FA's.
You don't have to gut the club for a rebuild. We didn't for Golden era team.
Just use your draft picks on drafting players and give them games and continuity.
Left field picks from Ireland, and steeplechasers and basketballers isn't really drafting.
It's speculating.
Who knows? Fair chance Joel and Tommy could have been competing for flags now instead of Top4.

It's condescending because we now have a reputation - finals failures - aka hand baggers. Our 2007-2011 team did so much work to remove all the labels and our reputation in the football world - this team has managed to erode the majority of it. We are no longer feared - we fold when things get tough and our coach is an arrogant know it all.
Nailed it! :thumbsu:

Clearly the past two years have been tough on everyone, including AFL coaches. It would take a toll being away from family. And I’m sure that there are a myriad of issues he would have had to deal with on top of the norm purely as a consequence of covid. Wouldn’t blame him at all to walk away for a while.

I do think also that every coach has an expiry date at their club. Renewal is needed. Not just with assistant coaches but also with the main gig. It’s starting to feel that we’ve reached or are reaching that point.
"Have reached" for sure in my view

We didn't have to move barely anyone on.
Most left at close to the right time.
Just did not need to trade players in or get FA's.
You don't have to gut the club for a rebuild. We didn't for Golden era team.
Just use your draft picks on drafting players and give them games and continuity.
Left field picks from Ireland, and steeplechasers and basketballers isn't really drafting.
It's speculating.
Who knows? Fair chance Joel and Tommy could have been competing for flags now instead of Top4.

They were in a grand final 12 months ago.
The Irishmen we’ve got are fine and Blicavs regardless of whether he is or isn’t elite, has carved out a fine career one way or another. It wasn’t experimenting for the sake of experimenting that bought those players to us, it was a legitimate view that they could contribute, same as anyone we draft or sign

They were in a grand final 12 months ago.
The Irishmen we’ve got are fine and Blicavs regardless of whether he is or isn’t elite, has carved out a fine career one way or another. It wasn’t experimenting for the sake of experimenting that bought those players to us, it was a legitimate view that they could contribute, same as anyone we draft or sign
Whether he is or isnt elite ay?
F**k me dead.

Yes apologies for thinking at his peak when he was selected a couple of times among the best 40 players in a competition of around 560 that at some point he was considered among the elite.
fu** me dead
Once at his peak he was selected in the AA squad. Not in the team. In the squad.
At his peak. He can't even kick.
Now let's argue if he is or is not Elite?
Elite! Like Tom Hawkins or Bontempelli

I hope you are referring to Mitch Clark and not Hendo in this case.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back