Certified Legendary Thread 2 x Premiership Coach Chris Scott contracted to 2026 (aka the Chris Scott volumes

Remove this Banner Ad

Im really not try to blue about it.. but there is a reason why Hickey has his name on the stand.. 3 (not 4) as a coach ... 1 as player ... Id be very happy if CS could find a way to become better. Now I think one might argue different era and time etc. ... and be very happy if CS could add two more to match that

View attachment 946660

great snippet. Legend of our club and respects due.

Did you ever go for the club before Chris Scott turned up?
Just a lot of your theories and knowledge of the club don't add up.

Hah cheeky bugger you can be. Don’t mind a bit of banter.

no I didn’t watch reg hickey in the 1930’s if that’s what you mean.

watched all of bombers reign as coach and saw highlights of blight.

when did you start watching football??

Ummmm didn't you just say that Bomber cost us the flag in 2010?
So he did inherit a premiership team?
Or were you just trolling?

he did cost us the flag. The team was coached terribly in 2010 and we paid the price it.

scott had to fix a lot of issues in 2011 to make us a premiership team. It wasn’t done without a lot of quality coaching strategically and offseason training to get us back up there.

what do you think happens, you just walk in and snap your fingers like Harry Potter and the shelf’s fly around sorting themselves??

That was nearly 10 years ago. Been an utter finals failure since then. But no point trying to debate you, cause you are too blinded and in love with scott to get anything other than arse kissing and excuses.

In saying that, i think if he wins it this year, he will go from a good coach to a great coach.

so which is the criticism. He fails in finals and can’t coach in finals?? Or his record is poor?? Because if you have coached a premiership you have shown without a doubt when you have the right troops you can take them al the way.

the question isn’t whether he can coach in finals, the question is how do we get the side good enough again to go deep into September and win another premiership.

Hah cheeky bugger you can be. Don’t mind a bit of banter.

no I didn’t watch reg hickey in the 1930’s if that’s what you mean.

watched all of bombers reign as coach and saw highlights of blight.

when did you start watching football??
Yeah I actually enjoy this thread. It's always fun.
TBH with you I didn't know Hickey got 4 flags. Thought he just coached the back to back.
I went to my first game in 88. But I can't actually really remember anything till 91.
Can sort of remember 89 GF day but didn't really get it.
Can remember the week though, everywhere had Cats stuff up everywhere.

he did cost us the flag. The team was coached terribly in 2010 and we paid the price it.

scott had to fix a lot of issues in 2011 to make us a premiership team. It wasn’t done without a lot of quality coaching strategically and offseason training to get us back up there.

what do you think happens, you just walk in and snap your fingers like Harry Potter and the shelf’s fly around sorting themselves??
Thought he just played Candy Crush in the office.
I dunno thought Collingwood were pretty good that year.
We're good next year too till the Malthouse/Buckley thing, combined with the Cloke thing, combined with the betting thing derailed them somewhat.

Yeah I actually enjoy this thread. It's always fun.
TBH with you I didn't know Hickey got 4 flags. Thought he just coached the back to back.
I went to my first game in 88. But I can't actually really remember anything till 91.
Can sort of remember 89 GF day but didn't really get it.
Can remember the week though, everywhere had Cats stuff up everywhere.

I had no idea either lol. Good historical correction by Turbocat . Definitely deserves to be mentioned our best coach then. Respect to our elders of past. Easy to forget about them and only compare modern coaches

Yes but can he take his own list to a grand final and not one which was built from the ground up by Mark Thompson. That's the question.

that was his list, he was the coach. Turned a non premiership standard team into a premiership one.

just proof when he has the troops good enough he can bring home the cup

that was his list, he was the coach. Turned a non premiership standard team into a premiership one.

just proof when he has the troops good enough he can bring home the cup

You do realize only one new player (Christensen) featured in that final series.

As I said, can Chris Scott take his own team to a grand final.
If he fails this year, he's pretty much done as coach of Geelong.

So Garry ablett oufor Christensen. Much stronger outfit that makes us after losing a prelim.

like I said he has proven he can coach finals when he has the troops capable. 2011 shows that. Give him the cattle capable and he will deliver

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Garry ablett oufor Christensen. Much stronger outfit that makes us after losing a prelim.

like I said he has proven he can coach finals when he has the troops capable. 2011 shows that. Give him the cattle capable and he will deliver

We were 4th favorites in premiership betting during the summer and that was without Ablett in the team.
Kind of illustrates just how good that list still was.

this is just as stupid as the unconditional Scott can do no wrong view.

we could say, win two finals by a couple of goals, come up against a Richmond team that’s hypothetically won two finals by 120 points, lose by a point after the siren and you’d get rid of the coach.

The core of the 4 time Hawthorn premiership sides was in place before Clarkson got there with Hodge, Mitchell, Roughead, Lewis, Franklin and the list goes on all there prior to him getting there.

Does he now need to rebuild his list and win another premership to prove that he can take what is categorically his own team to a flag?

Ridiculous post and shows how deluded our fan base is.
To imply Clarkson's 2008 premiership side was not his own, but that of Peter Schwab's, nonsensical.

we could say, win two finals by a couple of goals, come up against a Richmond team that’s hypothetically won two finals by 120 points, lose by a point after the siren and you’d get rid of the coach.

Or we could go with reality and say something like this, lose the first final, win the second, lose the third final and we give the coach a pat on the backside for keeping us inside the top four all over again.

Fourth favourites?

oh well it’s a wonder we lost any matches all season then.

Yep, 4th favourite for the premiership and quickly closed into favourites after the first month of the season.
By the time finals came around, we were favoured in all games including the grand final.
But as geelong_crazy likes to continually point out, we lost Ablett and we got thumped in the 2010 preliminary final and were never expected to do anything the following year.

To imply Clarkson's 2008 premiership side was not his own, but that of Peter Schwab's, nonsensical.

Or we could go with reality and say something like this, lose the first final, win the second, lose the third final and we give the coach a pat on the backside for keeping us inside the top four all over again.

Yep, 4th favourite for the premiership and quickly closed into favourites after the first month of the season.
By the time finals came around, we were favoured in all games including the grand final.
But as geelong_crazy likes to continually point out, we lost Ablett and we got thumped in the 2010 preliminary final and were never expected to do anything the following year.

according to you a team that loses a prelim then loses the games best ever midfielder in the off season is somehow a coach inheriting a premiership team. go figure. It was his Coaching that won us the flag. If bomber wasn’t capable in 2010 than most coaches wouldn’t have been either. Scott had to fix up a lot of issues tactically with that team which took a lot of hard work

Exactly.

Clarkson took the crux of a great list and implemented a gameplan to win premerships.

Scott took a great list with a dead in the water gameplan and flipped it on its head. Whether or not people like the aesthetics of it is irrelevant. Thanks for proving the argument.

Whenever we win the Chris Scott thread takes a journey through time by the trolls. Last week it was 2013, this week it seems it may be 2011.

soon we will be time traveling back to discuss Chris scotts issues as a baby not eating his beans and broccoli.

Whenever we win the Chris Scott thread takes a journey through time by the trolls. Last week it was 2013, this week it seems it may be 2011.

soon we will be time traveling back to discuss Chris scotts issues as a baby not eating his beans and broccoli.
I personally think you can point to the 1st quarter capitulation against Sydney in the 2016 prelim and ask genuine questions of Chris Scott. That and the first quarter last year against the Pies.

I was at both games and I never watched the Sydney game back as I couldn't bear it. So I'm a bit in the dark on that one.

However I will say that moving Blicavs out of the backline was questionable for mine. Taylor and Kolo cost us dearly in that first quarter. If you don't want to play Stanley as you don't think he makes a difference to Grundy's play whether or not he suits up that is fine. But the disruption to the defence for mine played a key factor in Collingwood having the game played on their terms which hurt us imo.

Those are the 2 games you can look at through his tenure and say 'There was a mis-step'. And that mis-step in hindsight cost us. With the Sydney game I dare say that going 7 goals down in 30 minutes of gameplay seems like you can pin a fair portion on the players not being ready mentally either in my opinion.

Obviously this is assuming that people care to go back and re-litigate the performance of Chris Scott in hindsight. I think those 2 games are 'fair game' to scrutinise

Remove this Banner Ad

Back