Senior 20. Elijah Hollands

Remove this Banner Ad

LOL, of course the one that didn't test positive is the one that serves matches.

Probably deserved however.

I guess the 2 match ban is more for embarrasing the afl then doing the drugs as a positive test (not on gameday) would not constitute a ban, just a strike. No real issue as it's consistent with Ginniven, Bailey Smith, Crouch ect.

It is funny that Smith won't miss any matches despite testing positive on gameday but that is consistent with wada rules all around the world and it becomes a mess if the afl starts to manipulate the ban start date.

Given where Hollands is at I would actually prefer him miss round 1+2 then most of preseason like Smith. I think the latter would set him back much more as far as impacting in 2024.

How does the 3 strike policy work? Just read Hollands has been suspended for 2 games so don’t get how the policy works.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Policy is based on contract, “marquee” status, evidence (photos/vids available), club & media/public outrage.
They then make it up as they go, they are about primed to ping someone for a long ban to show “they are tough on drugs” shortly. They can only be concerned for player welfare for a limited amount of times & a lesser light is about due to cop a big ban shortly.
If you’re not best 22/top 10 at your club I’d be treading very carefully.
Yes, I appreciate my view is highly cynical but it’s based and on the afls actions to date.

Given where Hollands is at I would actually prefer him miss round 1+2 then most of preseason like Smith. I think the latter would set him back much more as far as impacting in 2024.
If Smith completes a treatment program, his suspension is only a month - so he'll be allowed back into preseason training post Xmas, like the rest of the comp.

Basically, a wet lettuce leaf penalty....

I know Diesel Williams started at Carlton with a lengthy suspension from wrongdoing at the Swans. I have a feeling we had another player start with a suspension over their head too, but can't remember who.

Kurt Tippett at Sydney did it too.

Can bet if Hollands was still at GCS no suspension and possibly a few concession picks handed over to help with the challenges they face.

Don’t forget the mental health leave required by the AFL officer’s who had to make the ruling, draft the press statement and release it.

Last edited:
I guess the 2 match ban is more for embarrasing the afl then doing the drugs as a positive test (not on gameday) would not constitute a ban, just a strike. No real issue as it's consistent with Ginniven, Bailey Smith, Crouch ect.

It is funny that Smith won't miss any matches despite testing positive on gameday but that is consistent with wada rules all around the world and it becomes a mess if the afl starts to manipulate the ban start date.

Yep, would much rather a player miss a couple of matches than a pre-season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would suggest that the token gesture of a 2 week ban by AFL just reinforces the intolerance for unacceptable conduct.
By shaming Elijah and his family, AFL hopes to send a clear message and act as deterrent to future abuse and for his own well being.

Good time to rally around the lad, show support, get him on the straight and narrow. Gives him two extra weeks of pre-season to get himself in fantastic shape and show us/the footy world what he can do when settled and feeling good about himself.

Will all be forgotten by late next season, especially if he's playing well!

I think you would be very disappointed with a lot of players. Some of them heralded as legends of our club

There are legends across all clubs that have used illicit drugs. Having said that, I'm not going to pretend that all is well here...

This has hit the public eye and he is serving a court appearance as a result. Call it bad luck for him that he happened to get caught, at the end of the day, we cannot assume that "half the list are using drugs" and then use that to give him a pass here.

What I said stands... he has a bit of work ahead of him now and he needs to learn. Pretending that he doesn't is just delusional. And so is trying to justify it by the behaviour of others...

Best way to not get caught is to not use them in the first place.

There are legends across all clubs that have used illicit drugs. Having said that, I'm not going to pretend that all is well here...

This has hit the public eye and he is serving a court appearance as a result. Call it bad luck for him that he happened to get caught, at the end of the day, we cannot assume that "half the list are using drugs" and then use that to give him a pass here.

What I said stands... he has a bit of work ahead of him now and he needs to learn. Pretending that he doesn't is just delusional. And so is trying to justify it by the behaviour of others...

Best way to not get caught is to not use them in the first place.
You can be as judgemental all you like, but at the end of the day , these elite athletes are human beings and have the same needs and wants that we all have. One of them is to enjoy themselves and have a break from their schedule.
A lot of us non elite athletes smoke or have a drink. Its an age old solution to a genetic code that we all have inbuilt; Some more than others.
We all know why smoking and drinking is counter productive to elite performance, and these kids know this.

illicit drugs have become normalised for a large part of the younger generation- take a look at California who seems to be leading the way. Newsome is about to legalise psychedelics( mushrooms) they have legalised weed. There are even people on the street brazenly advertising free fentanyl across the road from schools. My point is illicit drugs have become more socially acceptable in the same way smoking and drinking has in the past. Dont get me wrong, I dont agree with it, but that doesnt stop it being the reality.

So the bread crumbs are that an inbuilt need that cant be solved legally (smoking and drinking) because of elite performance, has to be solved by "other means"; These kids have lots of money and few commitments. There is no social deterrence, and so many of them dabble in illicit substances. Does this make them bad kids- IMO no, not if they are dabbling. But dealing or full on addiction is a definite hard No and they should not be around our clubs . The recruiting team know this , and know the difference. I dont believe EH would have been looked at otherwise.

You can be as judgemental all you like, but at the end of the day , these elite athletes are human beings and have the same needs and wants that we all have. One of them is to enjoy themselves and have a break from their schedule.
A lot of us non elite athletes smoke or have a drink. Its an age old solution to a genetic code that we all have inbuilt; Some more than others.
We all know why smoking and drinking is counter productive to elite performance, and these kids know this.

illicit drugs have become normalised for a large part of the younger generation- take a look at California who seems to be leading the way. Newsome is about to legalise psychedelics( mushrooms) they have legalised weed. There are even people on the street brazenly advertising free fentanyl across the road from schools. My point is illicit drugs have become more socially acceptable in the same way smoking and drinking has in the past. Dont get me wrong, I dont agree with it, but that doesnt stop it being the reality.

So the bread crumbs are that an inbuilt need that cant be solved legally (smoking and drinking) because of elite performance, has to be solved by "other means"; These kids have lots of money and few commitments. There is no social deterrence, and so many of them dabble in illicit substances. Does this make them bad kids- IMO no, not if they are dabbling. But dealing or full on addiction is a definite hard No and they should not be around our clubs . The recruiting team know this , and know the difference. I dont believe EH would have been looked at otherwise.
I don't smoke.

I don't drink.

I don't do drugs.

I bigfooty. To excess...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back