Delisted #20: Jackson Merrett - not offered a contract for 2019 - 22/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Seriously, spineless decision. Couldn't even get a game in 2016. Has a broken leg. Should have cleared the list space.

Only reason they could possibly be keeping him around is to avoid angering Zerrett.

Leave it be.

Out: Watson, Kelly, Stanton, Howlett, Hocking, Morgan, Bird.

Keeping Jerret means we at least have some people at training to help the new guys understand structures and such.

From all reports Jerrett is a total pro in the training rooms.

Re-signing Jackson Merrett has more to do with our compromised draft situation than Jackson Merrett.

Jackson Merrett for 1 year.

Or

Pick 102 for 2 years.
I don't think that's a very realistic way to look at it. Most clubs won't dig that deep into the draft so that pick probably moves up 20 or so places. There's also a massive discrepancy in clubs ranking of potential draftees later in the draft, meaning a club could get a player much later because of this. This last point is even more relevant given the evenness of this draft.

Jackson Merrett for 1 year

Or

A player rated 30-70 on our draft board for 2 years.

I know what I'd rather.

I don't think that's a very realistic way to look at it. Most clubs won't dig that deep into the draft so that pick probably moves up 20 or so places. There's also a massive discrepancy in clubs ranking of potential draftees later in the draft, meaning a club could get a player much later because of this. This last point is even more relevant given the evenness of this draft.

Or

I know what I'd rather.
Depends. If you trade Jackson Merrett in next year, you get a hit in a supposedly better draft. Jackson Merrett for one year and a 20-50 kid next year, or a 30-70 kid but 12 months sooner? There's also the thing where we have loads of kids from the last couple of years and probably want a bit more maturity on the list for a little longer, spread out the age profile a little more. I always think it's interesting when people do a mock draft with two or three years worth of draft kids ranked by their U18 year, gives colour to the idea of a 'deeper draft' and 'better at the top end'.

I feel like Merrett is going the way of Howlett though. He'll be with us until he's 28 and get barely 100 games.

Out of curiosity, what pick would it have ended up being? Particularly given most clubs wont use later picks, it probably would have been in the 60's?
It should be remembered that we took Hartley at 68 a couple of years back so its not that impossible.

You are correct that it will fold in towards the end but even so it's still not enough for me to be tossing him, at worst you could delist him and say 'we'll see how the cards fall', if we don't like what we see we redraft him again in the national draft.

I think we're very lucky Hartley fell in our lap, I believe our plans were originally to pass on that last pick and pick up an additional rookie instead

Don’t care for the compromised draft, he doesn’t deserve a spot anywhere on ours or any other AFL list. Absolutely kissed on the d***!

I’d have rathered us delist him & take a punt on 2 x DFA’s than give him a lifeline he doesn’t deserve.

He’s no chance of playing senior footy next year....none...nada!

Depends. If you trade Jackson Merrett in next year, you get a hit in a supposedly better draft. Jackson Merrett for one year and a 20-50 kid next year, or a 30-70 kid but 12 months sooner? There's also the thing where we have loads of kids from the last couple of years and probably want a bit more maturity on the list for a little longer, spread out the age profile a little more. I always think it's interesting when people do a mock draft with two or three years worth of draft kids ranked by their U18 year, gives colour to the idea of a 'deeper draft' and 'better at the top end'.

I feel like Merrett is going the way of Howlett though. He'll be with us until he's 28 and get barely 100 games.
I can see how that line of thinking brings it back to 50 50. So then we get the "Zach happy" bonus factor which pushes it over the line. I'm good with it.

Or

I know what I'd rather.

In this draft, knowing that the 30-70 kid will take up a spot that a 30-50 kid from next years draft will need?

I'll take the 30-50 kid next year and a year of Jackson Merrett helping the new recruits fit in this year.

In this draft, knowing that the 30-70 kid will take up a spot that a 30-50 kid from next years draft will need?

I'll take the 30-50 kid next year and a year of Jackson Merrett helping the new recruits fit in this year.

Absoultely agree

The other thing is, we have been quite blessed in recent years our injury list has been quite minimal. Should we have a raft of them, a guy like Merrett is another viable option at AFL level than an underdeveloped kid.

That broken leg seems to be finally healing.. Jeez that's a long time frame though.

Jackson Merrett is back on the track after breaking his leg during a VFL game against Collingwood in July.

“Surgery went well, Jackson was able to complete most of the pre-Christmas training so he will absolutely be ready for the start of the preseason period.”
http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2018-01-19/injury-update-19-january

Last edited:
That broken leg seems to be finally healing.. Jeez that's a long time frame though.

Would have thought less than 6 months recovery for a broken leg was pretty good. Don't think it was as serious as someone like a Mitch Wallis but he was out for a whole year.

Would have thought less than 6 months recovery for a broken leg was pretty good. Don't think it was as serious as someone like a Mitch Wallis but he was out for a whole year.
Breaks are usually 6 weeks (in the real world)? Whether that's long enough to be strong enough to bear the kind of loads elite football would put through it I'm not sure, sports medicine is definitely not my area :p But in his case I don't think it was just a hairline fracture (where the bones are still together), I think it was an actual break (hence the surgery?). Not as bad as that crazy one where both bones are shattered, I think that's the one you're referring to? Breaking both bones is tremendously unlucky (and it looked gross!).

Question for the knowledgeable - who has come back from a similar situation and made it at Essendon (if comeback is even the right word)?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't reckon Jackson does much wrong when he plays... he just doesn't do enough. Has a good engine and pace. His best games are when he can run into space.

Would not be surprised if it all comes together one day and he can consistently get more of it. What age was Gary O'Donnell when he started getting a regular senior game?

He is a good age at 24.

Don't reckon Jackson does much wrong when he plays... he just doesn't do enough. Has a good engine and pace. His best games are when he can run into space.

Would not be surprised if it all comes together one day and he can consistently get more of it. What age was Gary O'Donnell when he started getting a regular senior game?

He is a good age at 24.

He'll be 25 before round 1. That is not a great age for someone who wouldn't be in the top 30 players at the club. I suspect as many have mentioned on here he was retained due to the lack of love for last years draft, which is fine. Jackson knows the system, and can contribute well enough at VFL level. I don't really see a point of difference in his game to be on the radar of selectors.

Ricky Dyson pulled his finger out at around this age didnt he? Trouble was injury and too many chances blown but he was actually a solid contributer towards the end.

Would be a minor miracle if he makes it but the sad reality is at this stage hes still outperforms Langford and Laverd.

If only he could play on and take some risks and carry the ball instead of stopping snd propping all the time.

I dunno how he outperforms Langford. Langford is younger and has shown about the same at AFL level.

Jackson is probably one of the least likely to make a decent AFL player on our entire list. Should absolutely be delisted at the end of the year.

Would be a minor miracle if he makes it but the sad reality is at this stage hes still outperforms Langford and Laverd.

If only he could play on and take some risks and carry the ball instead of stopping snd propping all the time.
Outperformed Langford?

Sent from my F3115 using Tapatalk

I think he's handy enough to be kept on as depth. Most of our quick players are already best 22; Colyer and Jerrett are probably the only two outside of that group at the moment who have a decent tally of AFL experience.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back