AFL Player #20: Peter "Litre" Wright 🏅 - Pleads guilty at tribunal, 4 week suspension - 26/3

Remove this Banner Ad

I would add to that that by going to Brisbane he buckled under the Essendon Football Club / Daniher dynasty expectation pressure, which is magnified in the Melbourne fishbowl.

For Joe, and for 90% of Brisbane people, he can just be a cog / some AFL guy and for Joe, that actually is okay, because he didn't really want it the fishbowl way.

I'm just glad Joe Average got to 100 games.

Wright is fair dinkum about getting the best out of himself. Joey has chosen his preferred environment and still doesn't seem to really want to get the best out of himself... or maybe what we see is the true result of his injury and we're just lucky he put on a show for us. It was a hell of a ride.

It's such a shame.

If he had Buddy's ego he would be traking Buddy's feats.

I doubt anyone has had the range of ways to score that Joe had.

Up to 45 votes in the coaches award. Equal 12th with Sam walsh

The stars are aligned.
2MP played 66 games for GC, kicking 85 goals.
He has played 36 games for us, kicking 64 goals.

A mathematics person I am not, but I do know this... wait for it...

in his 100th game, 36 + 64 = 100.

He only needs 64 more games for his kids to be eligible to play for the EFC, and...

there are 64 squares on a chess board. It is a square number!

It's perfect, Peter.
I should have written this in iambic pentameter.
64 times out of 100 you make sense every time 😉

Last edited:

And he’s the ultimate professional unlike daniher. Go and listen to dale tappings massive wrap for him on the sen pre game yesterday, puts in so much work on the track and in the tape room, studying opponents and helping the younger forwards improve their game

Yeah isn’t this just the classic ‘hard work beats talent if talent doesn’t work hard’?

Daniher may be the greatest natural talent of his generation but he’s demonstrated that he’s prone to melancholy and his body has let him down which hasn’t helped either.

Nic Martin is about the only one that can consistently cover more territory than Wright at the moment and Martin literally covers more ground than anyone in the comp this year.

It's such a shame.

If he had Buddy's ego he would be traking Buddy's feats.

I doubt anyone has had the range of ways to score that Joe had.
So many ways to score.

Totally get what you mean by ego but I would use the word attitude. If he had Buddy’s attitude he would be a true star.

I actually see Joe as pretty egotistical in that if he was a team first player he would just methodically knuckle down and execute consistently.

Instead it’s all about him and his feelings. His “whatever, derp” attitude has always seemed like a place to hide from his responsibilities. It’s such a privilege to get away with being so inconsistent. He maybe got the privilege initially because of his family name and now it’s due to his immense talent.

Frustrating as a fan but must be very annoying as a teammate too if there are different rules for one. My impression is that coaches would find it very hard to truly say to Joe “not good enough mate” for fear of losing his fragile buy in.

Total speculation but if true it’s a culture killer.

As a comparison, Wright also lacks confidence but is working hard to be his best.

it's a bloody shame Walla isn't around, he would have kicked 40+ just sitting at the feet of 2MP. His awareness to mark it or brings it to ground is fantastic. Also, he no longer seems to run under the flight of the ball. As the cliche goes, he's marking it at it's highest point.

64 times out of 100 you make sense every time 😉

illuminati GIF

The stars are aligned.
2MP played 66 games for GC, kicking 85 goals.
He has played 36 games for us, kicking 64 goals.

A mathematics person I am not, but I do know this... wait for it...

in his 100th game, 36 + 64 = 100.

He only needs 64 more games for his kids to be eligible to play for the EFC, and...

there are 64 squares on a chess board. It is a square number!

It's perfect, Peter.
I should have written this in iambic pentameter.

What I'm loving about Peter's game, is that he's taking the responsibility to have the set shot regardless of where he's marking the ball.

Even after missing a couple against WCE and then he missed a couple of early ones yesterday he kept his head up, kept presenting and demanding the ball.

He's not letting the missed opportunities dictate how he takes the next one and that's a big deal.
Reckon it helps him not drop his head that whenever he misses it usually hits the post or just barley doesn’t give through

What I'm loving about Peter's game, is that he's taking the responsibility to have the set shot regardless of where he's marking the ball.

Even after missing a couple against WCE and then he missed a couple of early ones yesterday he kept his head up, kept presenting and demanding the ball.

He's not letting the missed opportunities dictate how he takes the next one and that's a big deal.
I like that he has also started to add a snap to his bow. His ground ball pick-up and snap for goal against St Kilda was full of confidence, and I think he had another one against Sydney (?)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TBF to Daniher, he was pretty much just derailed by injury.

We were also a mess of a club. I mean our pathetic record of player development is well documented, but on top of that we were basically just a horrific place to be for the first 4-5 years of his career. Terrible environment, players leaving, half of them walking round like zombies due to the drug saga. He was coached by Hird, pipe-hitter Thompson, Hird, Egan, Worsfold then Worsfold / Rutten, five coaching changes in eight years. He had 2016 playing in what was effectively a VFL side due to the suspensions.

In spite of all of that, he was on a very special trajectory and in 2017 won the B&F, was All Aust and kicked 65 goals. At 23 he was the hottest property in the game.

He then effectively missed three years through injury.

Had that not happened, who knows how good he might have been.

Imagine instead he went to Sydney, and never had significant injuries.

I imagine he'd be one of the league's very best players - if not easily #1 - and we'd never have heard about the supposed work ethic problems.
I agree with a lot of this, bar the work ethic side of things. I don't think he has that as part of his fibre.

Something Geelong did to 2MP in Rd 1 very successfully was stand right on his heels and work him under the ball and thus out of the contest. It was especially effective because we placed the ball on his head rather than give him room to work off his opponent and he couldn’t get a good jump at it due to said body contact.

Two things to stop good defences from limiting him:
1. Don’t kick the ball on top of his position. Put it out in front/to the side.
2. Teammates to watch out for opponents standing right up against his back and provide body so he can get away.

And an obvious one: always have a little guy front and centre if Pete brings it to ground. We seem to be getting better at this lately.
A handful of defenders did that with success.
It looks like Wright has gone to school on that, and found a way around it.
He's always on the move now. Very rarely anymore will he be waiting for the ball to drop on his head.
His match odometer is a good indication of this.
The midfield connection is a whole lot better too.

Last edited:
A handful of defenders did that with success.
It looks like Wright has gone to school on that, and found a way around it.
He's always on the move now. Very rarely anymore will he be waiting for the ball to drop on his head.
His match odometer is a good indication of this.
The midfield connection is a whole lot better too.

It’s more just a function that we put it on top of him in the Geelong game so he had no room to move. Giving him some space to jump at the ball has made a big difference. Perfect example is Guelfi’s kick to a pack mark on the weekend.

Given the team he's in, if you weighted his stats he'd be up there in AA form for the FF spot.
To be equal 5th in coleman, top 5 in contested marks (wager its a good even split inside 50 and out with his work rate) & top 20 for score involvements in a bottom 3 side...

Love that we're getting him for his peak years.
short of some miracle that netted us pick 1 for Tracc, we're rolling with the next best 3 kids i wanted from that draft and it's paying some nice dividends.

short of some miracle that netted us pick 1 for Tracc, we're rolling with the next best 3 kids i wanted from that draft and it's paying some nice dividends.

Angus Brayshaw
Jordan DeGoey
Darcy Moore
Jake Lever
Jack Steele
Touk Miller
Harris Andrews

Angus Brayshaw
Jordan DeGoey
Darcy Moore
Jake Lever
Jack Steele
Touk Miller
Harris Andrews
talking the ones i wanted at the time.
Admittedly i was skewed by our picks but i did hope Langford and Wright would slide. One did, which was nice.

Outside Tracc, Wright & Langford were next. Then Laverde & Brayshaw.
Others i don't really recall tbh. Was my first draft i followed my mate around scouting

Given the team he's in, if you weighted his stats he'd be up there in AA form for the FF spot.
To be equal 5th in coleman, top 5 in contested marks (wager its a good even split inside 50 and out with his work rate) & top 20 for score involvements in a bottom 3 side...

Love that we're getting him for his peak years.
I remember there was some talk Wright would slide to our pick. In hindsight, very glad it didn’t happen

I remember there was some talk Wright would slide to our pick. In hindsight, very glad it didn’t happen
I think he'd have just gone before our pick had it not been impacted, so either way we weren't getting him.

posted somewhere but what was a disaster when we turned down the daniher offer hasn't panned out too bad in the end

I think he'd have just gone before our pick had it not been impacted, so either way we weren't getting him.

posted somewhere but what was a disaster when we turned down the daniher offer hasn't panned out too bad in the end
Im not sold on what that offer even was. If we were genuinely offered 5 + 9 then yes, massive *up. Anyway, this has been discussed ad nauseum and isn’t even the right thread for that discussion.

As for Wright, best trade since Lloyd/Lucas for us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back