Draft Review 2008 - Re-do the 2008 draft

Dwight Schrute

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
With all these threads I thought I would start one for 2008
Couldnt find another one so sorry if there is already one.
For me

This is only MY opinion

1 Nic Nat
2 Hurley
3 Sidebottom
4 Zaharakis
5 Shuey
6 Beams
7 Sloane
8 Redden
9 Hartlett
10 Rich

I will probably cop a bit a flack for having Zaka high but I think he is quite underrated coming of a B&F season and doesnt get much media attention along with Redden.

Shiels, Yarran and Trengove on the cusp.

headache1

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Apr 10, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sacramento Kings, Arsenal
With all these threads I thought I would start one for 2008
Couldnt find another one so sorry if there is already one.
For me

1 Nic Nat
2 Hurley
3 Sidebottom
4 Zaharakis
5 Shuey
6 Beams
7 Sloane
8 Redden
9 Hartlett
10 Ziebell

I will probably cop a bit a flack for having Zaka high but I think he is quite underrated coming of a B&F season and doesnt get much media attention along with Redden.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's a very good player, but with the exception of Ziebell, I'd take everybody you've listed under him before.

I am an Essendon supporter and I seriously think Michael Hurley is fast becoming the most over rated player going around.

Sure he shows glimpses here and there, but in terms of output, there is a handful of guys ahead of him at this stage of there careers..

:thumbsu:

He needs to sort his s**t out. A move to defence would do him well.

Dwight Schrute

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Thought he had his best game of the year yesterday, still overrated and it wasnt that good but had he converted he would of been in our best 3.

A top ten based on output would look something like this;

1. Sidebottom
2. Beams
3. Naitanui
4. Shuey
5. Rockliff
6. Zaharakis
7. Redden
8. Hurley (pre 2012 was really good)
9. Robinson
10. Sloane

But in my opinion the top end talent of this draft will come through over the next couple of years; the Watts', Yarran's, Hill's, etc.

Over there careers I'd expect the top 10 to be quite different, especially considering the good KPP talent in the top 20.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
A top ten based on output would look something like this;

1. Sidebottom
2. Beams
3. Naitanui
4. Shuey
5. Rockliff
6. Zaharakis
7. Redden
8. Hurley (pre 2012 was really good)
9. Robinson
10. Sloane

But in my opinion the top end talent of this draft will come through over the next couple of years; the Watts', Yarran's, Hill's, etc.

Over there careers I'd expect the top 10 to be quite different, especially considering the good KPP talent in the top 20.

Shuey is too high. Missed most of seasons 2009 and 2010 due to injury.

WinmarToLockett

Cancelled
Sep 29, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Hurley? He's had an amazing year.

According to Luke Darcy anyway.

I haven't actually watched him, but he did sweet **** all on the weekend.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
It's a fascinating draft.

Who will end up the best player? Hartlett? Shuey? Sidebottom?

Will Watts start to creep into people's top 10 lists?

Will the fast starters (Hurley, Rich, Redden, Hill etc.) fall out of favour?

1-2 Naitanui-Shuey for mine, not fussed about the rest.;)

NetworkNerd

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 6, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
AFL Member so all clubs I guess.
Hasn't Daniel Rich fallen off everyone's radar! I for one would like to revisit this list in say 5 years time. I think KP players like Schoenmakers/Davis might eventually push themselves into this top 10 list as defensive rocks take time to develop smarts/bulk. Even Jack Watts might end up being a good half back/wingman.

One player I'm still not 100% sold on is Naitanui. Good ruckman but for a guy that size he doesn't take that many marks.

Zaharakis is the most underrated player on this list. Cannot understand how people don't rate him. I love watching him play. Absolute jet. Gets a lot of possession, uses it well and does a lot of the little things that don't show up in the stats sheet.

Old Skool

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
10k Posts North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor
Nov 20, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I am an Essendon supporter and I seriously think Michael Hurley is fast becoming the most over rated player going around.

Sure he shows glimpses here and there, but in terms of output, there is a handful of guys ahead of him at this stage of there careers..

It's no coincidence that the fittest players lead these silly threads early in the piece.

Hurley is never going to realise his potential until he gets his strength up to scratch.

The good judges (me) know that he is not going to stamp himself on the competition until he is at least 23.

The same rationale applies to Watts and Ziebell.

The true absurdity of this thread is the rationale applied to Hurley that is not extended to Natanui. Natanui is comfortably the most overhyped player in the entire competition, much less this draft. His single claim to fame is that he can jump.

Knives are out for Michael Hurley after one game where if he kicks straight he is one of the top 5 players on the night.

His confidence in front of goal is shot but apart from that he is doing everything that is asked from him.

Yes, I agree he probably wouldn't be ranked at 2 based on output but there aren't many players I'd swap him for.

Back