2011 Official Trade/Delisting Discussion Thread II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another team that tried to do it for 20 years without any sucess is Richmond. There still doing it by getting Maric, last year Grigg and Houli.
In their defense Grigg was a substantial upgrade on Collins who is fairly terrible. If they do end up getting Maric it's out of necessity as they essentially have Graham and that's it. No comment on Houli though lol.

Saw this on the Drafting and Trading board:

Essendon looking closely at Savage (hawks) and Douglas from the crows as outside midfielders. Douglas not liking the crows and not getting played in his ideal position. Savage a player that cant consistenly break into the hawks team and wants to be a lock in best 22 player. Essendon need that line breaking midfielder with good skills which these two can offer.

Thoughts ?

Wouldn't mind picking up Crowley, he could release Hocking to a more attacking role.

Saw this on the Drafting and Trading board:Thoughts ?

Dont think Shane Savage is not going anywhere, 17 games this year..

One of my best mates went to school with him (St.Peters/Cranbourne) and keeps in regular touch with him, says he isnt going anywhere and is looking forward to push for a finals birth.

As for Douglas, of course a reigning B&F winner wants to leave ;)

Walters (apparently) doesnt have the tank to play AFL full time and Pearce does not have the desire to play AFL (from Dockers supporters).

Whilst I agree that Nicky Dal would suit us better - there is no way I'm going to say no to player that makes our team better, and Goddard is just that. The Ryder trade would leave us light in the ruck but we can trade in a 2nd or 3rd string ruck (like Maric or something) and back in Bellchambers as number 1 if Hille continues to drop off.

Can I also stress that I'm a huge fan of Ryder and would hate to see him at another club but if I was offered this deal I don't think I could say no to Goddard.

Very harsh on Goddard. He's been a top line player for a good 3-4 years and after a down season he's suddenly overrated?

sorry i just phrased that badly, what i was trying to get across was the point that he doesnt play enough midfielder for mine, hes still the best flanker in the game but i think we should target a pure mid like a NDS before goddard

Here is the video where they speak about the BJ for Ryder deal on Footy Classified. Just scroll down to the bottom where it gives a list of videos and it's the one called "up for trade"

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/footyclassified/video

Craig Hutchinson is a scummy imbecile of immeasurable proportions, and everything that comes from his mouth should be utterly disregarded.

This Ryder/Goddard business is no exception. Why would we trade arguably our most talented player, who plays in a position of immense importance in today's game, for a player who would neither replace him nor strengthen any of our immediate problem areas? And we'd be expected to give up a draft pick to boot?

Folly. Sheer folly.

there is no way I'm going to say no to player that makes our team better, and Goddard is just that. The Ryder trade would leave us light in the ruck but we can trade in a 2nd or 3rd string ruck (like Maric or something) and back in Bellchambers as number 1 if Hille continues to drop off.

Can I also stress that I'm a huge fan of Ryder and would hate to see him at another club but if I was offered this deal I don't think I could say no to Goddard.

Very harsh on Goddard. He's been a top line player for a good 3-4 years and after a down season he's suddenly overrated?

My thoughts exactly. Paddy is in my top 3-4 favourite players but as I said earlier in this thread, I'd be prepared to trade out my favs if it makes us a better team.

Of course now there will be a couple of posters who will come on here claiming that I've said that Ryder for Goddard is probable even though the very first thing I said on the subject is there is absolutely no chance of this happening.

Bolded part is a very good point and typical of Bigfooty. Even on an off year Goddard still dominated games and was a match winner on numerous occasions. We lack real match winner types and he is just that.

I even watched him turn a couple of games when he went into the midfield this year but he doesn't play in the midfield so I must have imagined it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Savage and Shiels are two upcoming midfielders at the Hawks - Shiels more the inside and Savage outside.

Savage had a very good first half of the year - got injured - Has struggled for Box Hill Hawks.

Think that Shiels is a better player - Probably Savage suits our needs more - But cant see that the Hawks will allow Savage to leave.

I would love to have Goddard but if we negotiated a trade for him I hope its not Ryder that goes. Just watching the impact that Natanui, Ottens and Warnock have had on the finals series goes to show how valuable a top class ruckman is. If Ryder plateaus at his current level of output then it would be a great trade for us, but if he fulfills his potential I would regret the trade. As other posters have pointed out it will leave us very bare in the ruck department if he was to leave so it would be a bit of a gamble.

Just wanted to say a few words on our more experienced guys, Welsh, McVeigh and Hille.

I will open up by saying that I don't think Welsh is in our best side, I don't think Hille is in our best side, and McVeigh is borderline in our best side (I'm a massive McVeigh fan so I'd probably squeeze him in there). There's been much discussion amongst Essendon fans this season about whether these 3 should be in the team/retire/be traded. As stated, I don't think these guys can contribute a whole lot to us onfield from this point on, except for being handy depth players, possibly playing 10-12 games a year max. And I will also say that at times I have been on the bandwagon of delisting/trading/asking to retire both Hille and Welsh this season.

But they don't deserve that. These 3 players have carried us through a ridiculously difficult period for the club. They all arrived either afterwards, or at the tail end of our successful early 2000's period, and therefore are yet to really experience any genuine success playing wise. And yet here we are, finally looking like we might be coming into a bit of success in the near future, and you could excuse them for being a little selfish and wanting to be a part of that. And we have Hille saying he'll gladly step aside for Bellchambers, McVeigh resorted to playing a shut down back-pocket role, and Welsh in&out of the team in a defensive forward role. The great thing about all these guys is that they know their limitations, they know that they are past their best, and that they will always put the club first, whether that means them playing or not. In an era where we have had very few successful players of their age, they have been extremely loyal, and they deserve that in return (When you compare say what Melbourne have done in kicking out White, Yze, Bruce and McDonald and tarnished their culture). And let's face it, they're not the 36th, 37th and 38th best players on the list, these guys can still play a role.

These 3 have always put the club first for many years, and I have no doubt that they know best, and will make the right decisions regarding their individual futures. Thank you for your loyalty so far Andrew Welsh, Mark McVeigh and David Hille, I hope you receive it in return.

Just wanted to say a few words on our more experienced guys, Welsh, McVeigh and Hille.

I will open up by saying that I don't think Welsh is in our best side, I don't think Hille is in our best side, and McVeigh is borderline in our best side (I'm a massive McVeigh fan so I'd probably squeeze him in there). There's been much discussion amongst Essendon fans this season about whether these 3 should be in the team/retire/be traded. As stated, I don't think these guys can contribute a whole lot to us onfield from this point on, except for being handy depth players, possibly playing 10-12 games a year max. And I will also say that at times I have been on the bandwagon of delisting/trading/asking to retire both Hille and Welsh this season.

But they don't deserve that. These 3 players have carried us through a ridiculously difficult period for the club. They all arrived either afterwards, or at the tail end of our successful early 2000's period, and therefore are yet to really experience any genuine success playing wise. And yet here we are, finally looking like we might be coming into a bit of success in the near future, and you could excuse them for being a little selfish and wanting to be a part of that. And we have Hille saying he'll gladly step aside for Bellchambers, McVeigh resorted to playing a shut down back-pocket role, and Welsh in&out of the team in a defensive forward role. The great thing about all these guys is that they know their limitations, they know that they are past their best, and that they will always put the club first, whether that means them playing or not. In an era where we have had very few successful players of their age, they have been extremely loyal, and they deserve that in return (When you compare say what Melbourne have done in kicking out White, Yze, Bruce and McDonald and tarnished their culture). And let's face it, they're not the 36th, 37th and 38th best players on the list, these guys can still play a role.

These 3 have always put the club first for many years, and I have no doubt that they know best, and will make the right decisions regarding their individual futures. Thank you for your loyalty so far Andrew Welsh, Mark McVeigh and David Hille, I hope you receive it in return.

I've never been a huge fan of any of these guys, but you make a good point in reference to how Melbourne went about axing their senior blokes. These guys are our most experienced players behind Fletcher, and booting them all at once could leave us light in the leadership department.

But you can't keep players on out of sentiment or a sense of repaying loyalty. The question is whether having these guys around will help the younger lads coming through, or hinder them. McVeigh can help, I think; Welsh possibly could, but his injury problems put him in the discard pile for me; Hille, thanks for your service and all, but see ya later.

Carried us through a difficult period... And got paid overs throughout to do so... You make it sound like they were doing the club a favour by playing their..

Was Welsh putting the club first when he demanded a 3 year deal and threatend to walk?

Do you really think Welsh going in and out of the team is being unselfish? It's because a) he's not in the best team, and b) he's been getting injuries. Do you think McVeighs going into a back pocket is unselfish? Thats a professional footballer doing what his boss is telling him to do.

The comparison to Melbourne's senior delisitings is crap as most were clearly still in their best 22. And good on them for doing it. There's very little point in having a policy at a football club that rewards just being good enough. Melbourne made critical decisions on their list around launching the rejuvination of it. And they should be the ultimate beneficiaries if everything else lines up.

Despite all that:

McVeigh will play next year.
Hille will probably remain on the list as back up.
Welsh should be shown the door.

After all these years of being no good, the fact that we've still got:

Welsh
NLM
McVeigh
Dyson
Slattery
Davey

on the list is ordinary list management. I won't throw Hille in because he started the year clearly as our number 1 ruckman and had been one of the better rucks in the league over the last few years.

I find it pretty funny that Travis Colyer's name keeps popping up as someone to trade... Does anyone actually get that these guys coming through is a non negotiable if we are to get better? Alot rests on Zaharakis, Melksham, Heppel, Colyer. If they or a majority of them don't get to a level we need them too, we're still 7 years away from a flag. Even then, we're still 1 or 2 crack young midfielders away from having the right mix.

Heppell showed more in one game than Colyer has in his career to date. Of course Colyer is tradable.

One of those guys you don't want on the list, Dyson, showed more than Colyer at their respective times too. And probably has 3 years of his best footy ahead of him.

I think Hille is pretty much finished as a ruckman but could be more than handy playing out of the square as a permanant forward in 2012. Hes still a strong contested mark and lets face it - whos our full forward. Its not Hurley - hes a CHF, Ryder? - best position is ruck/down back, Crameri - too small to be a permanant full forward. Then theres Carlisle and Gumby who appear most likely to fill that full forward role - but will take time to develop. Until they do I reckon we sit big Hille in the square & kick the ball long to him.

Hille is actually a pretty ordinary contested mark and would be an ordinary deep FF. He can't kick from in close and pretty useless once the ball is on the ground. His best attributes are his mobility around the ground and his leading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back