Review 2014 Drafting Summary

Remove this Banner Ad

As for our draft I'm generally pretty happy.

Lever - Outstanding pick. Was really hoping we would pick a key defender and this guy sounds great. Has both skills and leadership qualities; for just a teenager he sounds very mature in interviews. Only worry is the knee, but I doubt that'll be an issue long term
Wigg - Apprehensive about this pick. Like the foot skills but doesn't fill a particular need. Will be hard for him to jump into the best 22 next year, but I could see him fit in down the track
McGovern - Like it. We've lost a similar type player (Gunston) a few years back and Lynch is always injured. Provides us with another utility-like forward as an option, and hopefully he develops well. Unfortunately he seemed the least enthusiastic about joining the Crows in his interviews, so hopefully that's just a shy personality and not a flight risk
Dear - Like the sound of this bloke. Needed a ruckman forward and this is one. Seems decently athletic and capable.

O'Brien - Don't know much about him, seems like a good project ruckman that can also play defence if needed. Needed someone like this on our list to develop and play consistent SANFL
Ramsey - Heard the stories about this guy and glad we got him. Will be a good backup utility and fills our need for more talls. Like his skills, which has been a focus this draft.
Wilson - Like the sound of his serious pace. Won't be best 22 immediately, but with some development and refining of skills hopefully he can blitz the SANFL and push for senior selection.

Saw a couple of Legs games late in the season and Wilson certainly does have some toe. Eddie just gained another padawan.
Overall happy with who has been drafted in. Like the rooks we've drafted.
Think Lever will be the steal of the draft.
Like the look of McGovern.
Still question Wigg. Good kick is great, but is he fast enough or tall enough to get a game? Who does he push out? Think we could have got someone better.
My other change would possibly have been another outside mid instead of Dear..
7.5/10

So what is our strategy next year? Do we go with very few picks? At face value we don't seem to have much of Vader's infamous deadwood now. Even he wouldn't suggest many at the moment I reckon.

I think we might only get rid of maybe the compulsory 3 next year.

Who are the potentials?
Reilly - prolly keep as well as handy experience and still contracted for two more i think
Pods - due to age but could equally play on
Thommo - if he has an off year which I'm definitely NOT calling
Martin - went really well end of last year tho, regular top 7 best in last few games
Shaw - if he doesn't come up after surgery - though prolly give him another year yet.
Osborne - if the experiment fails
Atkins - if he doesnt come on this year
Knight - as per Atkins
Ellis Yolman - as per Atkins
maybe an unlucky rookie - Kelly perhaps - if we want to cut deep again.

Looks like round 1 and 2 we need to pick up two speedy, skillful mids.

I would almost bank on Pods, Reilly and Thommo retiring at the end of 2015. I can't see anyway that Pods and Reilly will entrench themselves into the 22 this year, let alone earn a contract extension.

Thommo could potentially play on, but he has served us well and his time is up imo. We have better things waiting. I've been one calling for thommo to be axed this year with rutten it's a huge move, and a big loss to our midfield in terms of experience, but I think that Matt Crouch could provide equal value, if not more, to what we see from thommo these days. Not to mention how young the rest of our list, playing players like thommo, pods and Reilly provide absolutely nothing for our club going forward. We have crouch, we have Lyons, we have kerridge. Don't get me wrong, I love the ever-consistent thommo as much as the next supporter, but it's time for a new generation.

Anyways, that's 3 spots already freed up. Unless CEY has a blinder of a year out of nowhere, he is most likely to be cut.

Martin I'm not fussed about, happy for him to remain as depth. We have to weigh up wether we want to use up a spot on our list for a handy depth player, or we want to give ourselves an extra pick in next years draft for development. I will leave that for the professionals at our club to decide.

That's all id be looking to trim so far. Shaw has just a possibly a career saving career so let's see how that plays out first.

I see no reason why we need to cut Atkins or Siggins. As stated by CC this year, he was so close to breaking into the side and most people at the club wanted him selected supposedly. Let's see what he can continue to bring to the table and if he can push for a spot in the 22. Siggins hasn't come on exactly as we hoped....yet. No harm in giving a tall lanky bloke extra time to put the pieces together. As he continues to fill out over the years and build on preseason after preseason, we may yet see some significant improvement.

Pretty happy overall. Despite popular belief amongst some, there was strategy and method to this. I expected us to go tall with a pick or two on smalls. Amongst the talls I expected a project ruckman. We pretty much delivered that.

I love Lever pick. Wigg is an elite left leg which we needed more off. McGovern is that 3rd tall that has some X factor and has good skills on both sides of the body. I love Dear pick. A big lump of a lad that can take a contested mark and play as a back up ruck.

O'Brein is the project ruckman but its a plus that he can play as a key defender. Ramsey is a great pick up at the pick and Wilson is another interesting one. I like the fact that we bit the bullet earlier with him. If we believed he would be on draft radar next year they jump in early and develop him in your system.

I like the strategy and the way we went about it. Whether we nailed it or not will be known in a few years but we certainly balanced out the list.

One thing I love about our new talls (especially those picked in ND) is that they all jump at the footy in marking contests and they mark at the highest point. Arms at full length and jump at the footy. I also like that we are getting some players that can kick!

I would almost bank on Pods, Reilly and Thommo retiring at the end of 2015. I can't see anyway that Pods and Reilly will entrench themselves into the 22 this year, let alone earn a contract extension.

Thommo could potentially play on, but he has served us well and his time is up imo. We have better things waiting. I've been one calling for thommo to be axed this year with rutten it's a huge move, and a big loss to our midfield in terms of experience, but I think that Matt Crouch could provide equal value, if not more, to what we see from thommo these days. Not to mention how young the rest of our list, playing players like thommo, pods and Reilly provide absolutely nothing for our club going forward. We have crouch, we have Lyons, we have kerridge. Don't get me wrong, I love the ever-consistent thommo as much as the next supporter, but it's time for a new generation.

Anyways, that's 3 spots already freed up. Unless CEY has a blinder of a year out of nowhere, he is most likely to be cut.

Martin I'm not fussed about, happy for him to remain as depth. We have to weigh up wether we want to use up a spot on our list for a handy depth player, or we want to give ourselves an extra pick in next years draft for development. I will leave that for the professionals at our club to decide.

That's all id be looking to trim so far. Shaw has just a possibly a career saving career so let's see how that plays out first.

I see no reason why we need to cut Atkins or Siggins. As stated by CC this year, he was so close to breaking into the side and most people at the club wanted him selected supposedly. Let's see what he can continue to bring to the table and if he can push for a spot in the 22. Siggins hasn't come on exactly as we hoped....yet. No harm in giving a tall lanky bloke extra time to put the pieces together. As he continues to fill out over the years and build on preseason after preseason, we may yet see some significant improvement.

I think next year will see the last of the clean out with probably about 5 - 6 primary spots to be filled.

Reilly retire
Pods to retire
Thommo may retire, or go 1 more.

I think 1 of Shaw or Siggins will go.
CEY would have to prove something this year.
Martin is almost out of chances.

Big year for the guys in their early to mid 20s that haven't made it yet.

2016 will be a different kettle of fish, there should be no long term dead wood left. It will be the 20 - 22 year olds that will be in the gun.
The time for passengers will have passed, every player will need to fight to retain a spot on the list, let alone in the 22.

I can't see more than 4 primary list positions opening up unless a lot of players drafted 2012 - 2014 don't cut it.

Very good in terms of filling our tall stock needs.

Lever and Ramsay the only ones I'm really excited about. All the others i don't know enough about or are the types that could go either way but more likely fail.

Would have liked more pace with the Wigg pick but there wasn't a lot of quality rated players left at that pick.

McGovern to be the smokey to make it for mine. Looks to have some tools.

I think what everyone is forgetting is that Philthy Walsh is an entirely different kettle of fish to what we're used to. We can't keep saying "this is surely Radar, Pods and Thommo's last respective years" because we don't know how each player is going to fit into PW's expectations.

If there's one thing we know, it's that PW loves competitive team first players. Pods is definitely in that category, and I wouldn't assume Radar isn't either. I'm hoping he's not, but he may not be.

Also Pelchen is a fricken moron. We got the equal second worst off season rating. Doesn't make sense to anyone that knows our list better than just names on a piece of paper.

This was the draft to stock up on talls and the club did that. Now we wait and see if they kick on or not. For me looking at the players they have drafted it tells me they dont have a heap of faith in Siggins, Shaw and maybe have concerns on Ottos ability to come back from a second knee recon. Also the lack of interest in picking up some mids, and outside ones at that might give some hope they think Aish might be on his way next year, especially since he put off contract talks again. Well heres hoping anyway.

This was the draft to stock up on talls and the club did that. Now we wait and see if they kick on or not. For me looking at the players they have drafted it tells me they dont have a heap of faith in Siggins, Shaw and maybe have concerns on Ottos ability to come back from a second knee recon. Also the lack of interest in picking up some mids, and outside ones at that might give some hope they think Aish might be on his way next year, especially since he put off contract talks again. Well heres hoping anyway.
I think that, if be the end of 2015 we have retained Danger and secured Aish it will be a huge boost for 2016.

It will remove us from the draft again effectively but will set is up.

I think what everyone is forgetting is that Philthy Walsh is an entirely different kettle of fish to what we're used to. We can't keep saying "this is surely Radar, Pods and Thommo's last respective years" because we don't know how each player is going to fit into PW's expectations.

If there's one thing we know, it's that PW loves competitive team first players. Pods is definitely in that category, and I wouldn't assume Radar isn't either. I'm hoping he's not, but he may not be.

Also Pelchen is a fricken moron. We got the equal second worst off season rating. Doesn't make sense to anyone that knows our list better than just names on a piece of paper.

Pelchen maybe many things but he's no moron. He knows a lot more than you (or me)

Time will tell

Pelchen maybe many things but he's no moron. He knows a lot more than you (or me)

Time will tell
He may not be a moron, true, but he has very limited knowledge of the Crows list, and his description of our drafting/trading period is moronic and screams of ignorance. He does, however, have a deeper knowledge of Cheney and Lowden having recruited them to the Hawks.
Adelaide
The retirements of two long-serving players in Ben Rutten and Jason Porplyzia had the potential to destabilise Adelaide’s team structure for 2015 but the recruitment of promising young key defender Jake Lever in the draft, combined with serviceable Hawks duo Kyle Cheney and Luke Lowden in the trade period, has offset their immediate issues. The Crows’ team structure looks sound so overall, it was a solid result.
2014 Trade/Draft Period Rating: B-
1. How is losing Porps a potential destabiliser to our list?
2. We on this board identified needs in the areas of key defenders (Lever, Ramsey and O'Brien, Cheney to an extent), better kicks (Wigg, Ramsey), lefties (Wigg), ruckmen (Lowden, Dear and O'Brien), key forwards (Lowden, McGovern, Dear and Ramsey) and outside speed (Wilson). IMO, we covered all these needs. Until we see all these guys in action, we can say at first glance, since that's all we have, that the period was successful.

Can you explain why then, our period was rated as the equal second worst of all teams?

Collingwood got a B+. They lost Lamumba, Beams, Ball and gained Greenwood, and some rookies. If Pelchen ignored our rookies, why do the Pies rookies count to their rank?
Essendon got a B. They lost Ryder and replaced him with a Giles/McKernan combo. That's rated better than us? Pfft. Cooney and Gwilt additions are positives? Maybe so they can field a team when they lose half their team, but no better than depth.

I would argue that we had a B recruiting period, and I think looking back in a few years, we'll be happy to give ourselves a B+.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He may not be a moron, true, but he has very limited knowledge of the Crows list, and his description of our drafting/trading period is moronic and screams of ignorance. He does, however, have a deeper knowledge of Cheney and Lowden having recruited them to the Hawks.

1. How is losing Porps a potential destabiliser to our list?
2. We on this board identified needs in the areas of key defenders (Lever, Ramsey and O'Brien, Cheney to an extent), better kicks (Wigg, Ramsey), lefties (Wigg), ruckmen (Lowden, Dear and O'Brien), key forwards (Lowden, McGovern, Dear and Ramsey) and outside speed (Wilson). IMO, we covered all these needs. Until we see all these guys in action, we can say at first glance, since that's all we have, that the period was successful.

Can you explain why then, our period was rated as the equal second worst of all teams?

Collingwood got a B+. They lost Lamumba, Beams, Ball and gained Greenwood, and some rookies. If Pelchen ignored our rookies, why do the Pies rookies count to their rank?
Essendon got a B. They lost Ryder and replaced him with a Giles/McKernan combo. That's rated better than us? Pfft. Cooney and Gwilt additions are positives? Maybe so they can field a team when they lose half their team, but no better than depth.

I would argue that we had a B recruiting period, and I think looking back in a few years, we'll be happy to give ourselves a B+.

You could just chill out. And read up on confirmation bias :p ;)

As for our draft I'm generally pretty happy.
Wigg - Apprehensive about this pick. Like the foot skills but doesn't fill a particular need. Will be hard for him to jump into the best 22 next year, but I could see him fit in down the track
I beg your pardon but elite foot skills are ABSOLUTELY a need for the Crows.

I take offence to keyboard warriors such as yourself questioning the intellect of other posters. That's not my problem, it's yours.
What's amusing those is keyboard warriors taking swipes at the likes of Pelchen.
The difference? Pelchen has earnt his credibility. We're just mostly anonymous people with an opinion.
Can you not see the irony here????

And just to be clear - I ain't going into bat for Sanders every chance I get here. There just seems to be a theme where he's questioned our own posters who question the broader industry expert thinking. And for some reason - he's the one who cops the grief.
(he may want to ask himself why that is.... but end of the day its more valid to back in recognized experts than some anonymous people who like to have fun sharing opinions)

What's amusing those is keyboard warriors taking swipes at the likes of Pelchen.
The difference? Pelchen has earnt his credibility. We're just mostly anonymous people with an opinion.
Can you not see the irony here????
I see the irony.
And just to be clear - I ain't going into bat for Sanders every chance I get here. There just seems to be a theme where he's questioned our own posters who question the broader industry expert thinking. And for some reason - he's the one who cops the grief.
(he may want to ask himself why that is.... but end of the day its more valid to back in recognized experts than some anonymous people who like to have fun sharing opinions)
I had no idea sanders has been pulled up such as this before.

I've put him on ignore now, so you won't get any more from me.

How do we know this?

Can't obviously say how or who told me, but going by what I've seen and what's been said, menadue didn't seem to rank all that highly on our list in comparison to BF opinion.

Interesting.

Could you please rate our drafting / trading for the off-season, from A (excellent) to D (fail) please?

Pelchen may be an expert but he's certainly no expert on our list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back