2014 QAFL

Remove this Banner Ad

David Lake is a great appointment for the Panthers. Even if they loose a few players, their depth in all grades is exceptional, and they should blast this new comp away in all grades next season.
This AFLQ restructure is looking a dismal failure, in all levels.
i too agree with Morningside,Broady and Lab being strong next year but believe the following years will even out. i reckon Morningside will lose around 10 from their senior side....but do have depth. the league needs to be patint with the bottom teams and assist them.
this comp could reignite some great rivalries my round 1 would look like this?
PBC v Broady (sat)
Maggies v MtGravatt (sun)
Grange v Siders (sat night)
Surfers v Lab (sat night)
Uq v Sandgate (sat)
gave all of the old Piney Cup teams the home ground to start.............

i too agree with Morningside,Broady and Lab being strong next year but believe the following years will even out. i reckon Morningside will lose around 10 from their senior side....but do have depth. the league needs to be patint with the bottom teams and assist them.
PBC v Broady (sat)
Uq v Sandgate (sat)
Morningside v Mt Gravatt and Grange v Sandgate traditional derbys.

PBC v Broady (sat)
Uq v Sandgate (sat)

Time will tell but I'm not sure whether things will even out. The ex neafl clubs are simply used to competing at a higher level, this includes having contacts for fundraising and recruitment, in the main better facilities, junior development programs and medical, fitness etc.

Morningside have been a powerhouse for decades, what's going to change? Labrador will be the strongest club financially and my cats have top facilities, really strong juniors and are no longer the paupers of the comp. mt gravatt won u18's and have always been pretty strong.

PBC aside , and maybe west magpies not sure if the other clubs will ever catch up. Just my opinion.

For what it's worth I am not convinced that the new neafl will be sustainable and I can see an afl ressies come in with sharks aspley redland returning to a state league within 5 years

Time will tell but I'm not sure whether things will even out. The ex neafl clubs are simply used to competing at a higher level, this includes having contacts for fundraising and recruitment, in the main better facilities, junior development programs and medical, fitness etc.

Morningside have been a powerhouse for decades, what's going to change? Labrador will be the strongest club financially and my cats have top facilities, really strong juniors and are no longer the paupers of the comp. mt gravatt won u18's and have always been pretty strong.

PBC aside , and maybe west magpies not sure if the other clubs will ever catch up. Just my opinion.

For what it's worth I am not convinced that the new neafl will be sustainable and I can see an afl ressies come in with sharks aspley redland returning to a state league within 5 years

agree the gap between the NEAFL sides and the AP cups sides is substantial enough to make hard for them to catch up without more lead time, support and Funds. I certainly hope that the the new NEAFL is sustainable, wouldn't want to go through this again in 4 years. I wonder if AFLQ have worked out yet that the Q stands for Queensland?

Think with promotion/relegation that there will be clubs in the nth/sth divisions that position themselves over the next couple of years to be part of the QAFL. A club like Springwood could just be getting their rabbit lined up, ensuring that when they do go in then they do it right. Yep there will be some disparity in the comp but tell me what comp in Australia is there not?? Potentially there could be a bunny in the QAFL as well who is in for an arse kicking every week but in due course they will be replaced. Think its impossible to tell whether the siders or mt Gravatt or Labrador etc will consistently be strong as they have not had to be in this level of footy for a while and now guys have a far greater choice of clubs to select from playing at the same standard. Previously, if you wanted to play in the NEAFL and lived in Brisbane you had Aspley, M'side or Mt Gravatt to choose from (that were within reasonable distance of travel) - now there is UQ, Maggies, M'side, Gravatt, Grange, Sandgate. take away the fact that juniors will be less likely to move clubs now i think it will even itself out in due course. Certainly club environment will play a big part in how clubs develop and progress.

Neafl wise, each club has a list of 35 players right, with no reserve grade team ...so 23 players are selected to play in say round 1, thus 12 players miss out. Question is, where do these 12 players end up playing for the round. ??That's some 36 players to be disbursed to QAFL teams weekly.( barring injury tolls etc etc)from Southport, Redlands,Aspley alone, ...
What is the QAFL plan here.??
Also, the young players that are committed to the Academy, only get to play with their local club for 3 games early in the season and 2 or 3 more late in the season.I mean for Christ sake, how does a local club achieve a settled team combination over the season.....and more importantly, getting these players (,that haven't been selected in the rounds NEAFL senior side), to commit to the good of the qafl clubs game plan on the field (ie ,the club have been designated to that particular week ) will be hard work for the coaching staff.
And come QAFL finals time,what players can the participating clubs select from??
Geez, what a mess.

Early word is that if a player has come from Sandgate for instance to play at Aspley and don't make it Rd 1 then he goes back to Sandgate - players will nominate a QAFL club with interstate recruits going into a draft type of arrangement.
Re Academy players - not sure its a big deal - many only played limited time with their NEAFL club this year, and this scenario happens all over Australia with elite boys too. I reckon the coach will work out whether he believes the kid is worth putting into A grade based on a number of factors, one being ability.
As for wondering whether a guy is going to buy into a game plan if he is omitted from one of the NEAFL clubs and has to lower himself to play QAFL (sarcasm) then I think you will find pretty quickly that if he wants to be promoted then he better get a kick and do the right thing. Not sure there is any other way?? At maroochy, late 90's when we had a number of Lions players doing exactly this but instead of dropping back from a NEAFL side they were being dropped from the Lions senior side, the ones with a bit of ticker like Andrew Bews played every minute like it was his last. Some others did not - therefore we saw them alot unfortunately.
Lastly - there will be requirements put into place for who can and can't be selected at finals time ie minimum of 5 games played etc I think you are worrying unnecessarily Stuyd!!:D

Early word is that if a player has come from Sandgate for instance to play at Aspley and don't make it Rd 1 then he goes back to Sandgate - players will nominate a QAFL club with interstate recruits going into a draft type of arrangement.
Re Academy players - not sure its a big deal - many only played limited time with their NEAFL club this year, and this scenario happens all over Australia with elite boys too. I reckon the coach will work out whether he believes the kid is worth putting into A grade based on a number of factors, one being ability.
As for wondering whether a guy is going to buy into a game plan if he is omitted from one of the NEAFL clubs and has to lower himself to play QAFL (sarcasm) then I think you will find pretty quickly that if he wants to be promoted then he better get a kick and do the right thing. Not sure there is any other way?? At maroochy, late 90's when we had a number of Lions players doing exactly this but instead of dropping back from a NEAFL side they were being dropped from the Lions senior side, the ones with a bit of ticker like Andrew Bews played every minute like it was his last. Some others did not - therefore we saw them alot unfortunately.
Lastly - there will be requirements put into place for who can and can't be selected at finals time ie minimum of 5 games played etc I think you are worrying unnecessarily Stuyd!!:D

SMY, thanks mate for your reply.
Still , there is a problem where say Southport, who are hunting our (Broadbeach) top 4 or 5 players and the same with Labrador, if some of these guys are not selected in the Sharks senior side, they will come back and play for Broadbeach or Labrador.Now that's great for these 2 clubs, strengthening their sides, but it doesn't make things easier for clubs such as Palm Beach, Magpies etc etc.because they won't have this asset/luxury.
Anyway, time will tell next season hey.

SMY, thanks mate for your reply.
Still , there is a problem where say Southport, who are hunting our (Broadbeach) top 4 or 5 players and the same with Labrador, if some of these guys are not selected in the Sharks senior side, they will come back and play for Broadbeach or Labrador.Now that's great for these 2 clubs, strengthening their sides, but it doesn't make things easier for clubs such as Palm Beach, Magpies etc etc.because they won't have this asset/luxury.
Anyway, time will tell next season hey.

Any news on signings etc for next year?
Grange will chase hard around Aspley ex players but havent heard much
UQ will get more kids on scholarships but will be desperate to get players who have performed at a higher level otherwis very long year
Maggies have appointed a new coach and some fresh faces to their coaching group as well as being on the verge on signing a very very good key position player as well as getting back their 2012 premiership ruckman,plus some old juniors returning from NEAFL clubs...may have some midfield retirees though
PBC have been chasing blokes from everywhere vic,tassie,southport hope they produce a few of their own as well
Vultures look to have lost the Scott bros,Grose and Eckerman
Mside have been active of course with Lakey there,but could lose Holman,Spackman,Clarke,Cummins,Tommlinson (retired),Wallin,Wolbers and maybe Smith
Sandgate should get some juniors back from Aspley
Surfers would be hoping to get a few that fallout of Sharks
Labrador will lose some young talent in Grayson and Thurlow but Daniels and Feilds will recruit well again need to get their juniors up and going
Broady have lost a couple returning to their home state and may have a few follow Angus to the sharks - Brewer etc but will keep the core of their group

just trying to generate some interest.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

UQ will get more kids on scholarships but will be desperate to get players who have performed at a higher level otherwis very long year
Maggies have appointed a new coach and some fresh faces to their coaching group as well as being on the verge on signing a very very good key position player as well as getting back their 2012 premiership ruckman,plus some old juniors returning from NEAFL clubs...may have some midfield retirees though
PBC have been chasing blokes from everywhere vic,tassie,southport hope they produce a few of their own as well
Mside have been active of course with Lakey there,but could lose Holman,Spackman,Clarke,Cummins,Tommlinson (retired),Wallin,Wolbers and maybe Smith
Labrador will lose some young talent in Grayson and Thurlow but Daniels and Feilds will recruit well again need to get their juniors up and going
Broady have lost a couple returning to their home state and may have a few follow Angus to the sharks - Brewer etc but will keep the core of their group

Speedyunit,
yes, will be very interesting to see where many players are going to end up.Not to mention Southport have a list of 35,and only 23 are selected to play in a home and away game, so where do the other 12 go to play.?Yes as the season progress,s injuries will occur and reduce this list... on the other hand, what if the Sharks have a bad run with injuries, and come selection night, have only say 21 players to fit to play.. Where do they get the other 2 from. And it does happen, Broady had more then a dozen players out injured for most of the second half of 2013.

Great post. All 4 Ex neafl clubs look to be losing some of their better players, so the gap may close a bit. Heard Labrador are recruiting hard and have a couple but I don't know who. The coach has been around and Field is always active on the phone. Mind you they need a few to compensate for the loss of a few of their better players. Broady are losing a few to the sharks and back home but have a bit more depth. Morningside are losing players to neafl clubs but have the best depth in qld footy and I reckon will still be too good for most next year. PBC apparently have got a couple more up from tassie with cresswell's connections but have heard their ruck man lives in brissie and is going to mside. A couple of their older guys are retiring. Zorko has been proactive at surfers but with limited funds and coming from further back realistically they are looking to win 6-8 games and give the morningsides a run for their money. Sandgate have got a couple from aspley apparently and UQ have got those scholarships but I still reckon they will get walloped a few times.

I'm sure it's the same in brisbane but down here the clubs are waiting to see who gets retained on southport s list and who doesn't. All QAFL clubs looking to pick up some that just miss out at neafl level

Fantastic insight guys!! Not much really happening up this way, I hear Morningside have lost a few as have Mt Gravatt, Grose and the Scott boys. The Pies have announced Glenn Humphry as senior coach, don't know to much about him but word has it he comes highly regarded, he has his work cut out with Dobson, Timmy Mac, and Jimmy hanging up the boots.
I also hear Palmy are throwing huge coin at Ed McDonnell another of our boys as they did with Bomber and Dillon.
Seems to me it will be a very lop sided comp unlike last year, which will be very disappointing.

Reckon give it time - alot of player activity happens post Xmas up this way in my experience. Like 2010 said, once the NEAFL sides trim their lists then it will be interesting to see where these guys end up. Reckon it would be smart for QAFL clubs to leave something in the budget for the better blokes who miss out (and there will be some very good footballers who don't make the cut). Aside from Uni and maybe Sandgate who are both coming from a long way back, reckon it could be pretty competitive. Taking the best 5-6 players out of any side leaves a big hole, esp ones that were only okay last year in the NEAFL.

Fantastic insight guys!! Not much really happening up this way, I hear Morningside have lost a few as have Mt Gravatt, Grose and the Scott boys. The Pies have announced Glenn Humphry as senior coach, don't know to much about him but word has it he comes highly regarded, he has his work cut out with Dobson, Timmy Mac, and Jimmy hanging up the boots.
I also hear Palmy are throwing huge coin at Ed McDonnell another of our boys as they did with Bomber and Dillon.
Seems to me it will be a very lop sided comp unlike last year, which will be very disappointing.
those 3 will be losses for the maggies but with the emergence of some young locals as well as the addition of last years NEAFL Reserves Comp B&F hopefully the load will be shared around more. PBC try and recruit from evey club all of the time... i wonder if they ever lodge a permission to interview form?

those 3 will be losses for the maggies but with the emergence of some young locals as well as the addition of last years NEAFL Reserves Comp B&F hopefully the load will be shared around more. PBC try and recruit from evey club all of the time... i wonder if they ever lodge a permission to interview form?

Come again? A what????

Club on the north coast was recently slapped for not doing just this Kwhit! Is there any chance PBC have even half a junior that might make their way thru to senior footy??

You will find smy, that our top juniors have gone to either Broadbeach and Southport to further their football. Brock Askey, Stephen Thyne both were regulars at Southport with Tyler Cornish topping up once state duties where complete. Nick Burton chipped in for a handful of games in Broadbeach's senior side and I'm sure stuyd will confirm probably should have played a lot more. PBC high school took out there 3? straight Jonathon Brown cup with the vast majority of them playing at Palmy! So as you can see we have a number of talented kids that have come and are coming through he ranks, and once Southport have finalised its list you may see a number of them coming back! I hope this answers your question smy..

You will find smy, that our top juniors have gone to either Broadbeach and Southport to further their football. Brock Askey, Stephen Thyne both were regulars at Southport with Tyler Cornish topping up once state duties where complete. Nick Burton chipped in for a handful of games in Broadbeach's senior side and I'm sure stuyd will confirm probably should have played a lot more. PBC high school took out there 3? straight Jonathon Brown cup with the vast majority of them playing at Palmy! So as you can see we have a number of talented kids that have come and are coming through he ranks, and once Southport have finalised its list you may see a number of them coming back! I hope this answers your question smy..

Young Shaun Wilson played a few senior games at the cats as well. I also thought young McNeven at southport was a palmy junior. Burton was a regular senior player this year until injured. Jesse Derrick a junior as well. I reckon the comment about no juniors going up the ranks was a bit unfair

Remove this Banner Ad

Back