Position 2014 SC Rucks

What structure will you be going in with?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some discussion already started on what everyone thinks of the ruck options for 2014, needs a thread of it's own.

Minson & Goldy - can they back up & be No. 1 & 2 again in 2014? need to pay top $$ though!
Cox - can the SC great put it together for one more season?
Sand Islands - great price, but can he make it to rd1 without incident?
NicNat - another good price, will he keep it together?
HMacintosh - seems to be going ok, great price, good option, but hasn't played in 12 mths
Grundy - young colt, is he ready for R1 or R2 from rd 1?
McEvoy - new colors for 'Big Boy', does that mean more SC points?
Lobbe - lot of late '13 and early '14 talk, showed his stuff as No.1 w'out Redden, will that continue in '14?
Dixon - in difference to TommyB & Hale, only real 'valid' R/F DPP option (more as fwd though IMO)
Hickey & Longer - no Big Boy, who will be No.1 for Saints?
Currie - SC's own 'snuffleupagus' - we've heard of him, but does he really exist?
Maric & Jacobs - poor '13 off back of good '12, can they bounce back to be in AA contention again?

& rookies - Apeness, Derickxs, Lobb, Nankervis, Cam Wood (??) etc.

Against overwhelming popular opinion, I'm seriously considering Jacobs for R1 with Sand Islands at R2,

Big Sauce;
- $460k (priced at 2013 ave of 85)
- 3 yr ave of ~94
- no real 2nd ruck to take points, unlike many other SC options,
- I reckon he can get back to ave of 95-100 in '14, would keep at R2 if this was case,
- at worst, he stays at 85 ave (or less), upgrade to the form Ruckmen at byes,
- POD as out of favour with SC coaches worldwide*

No one wanted Goldy at the start of '13, after '12 ave of 93 (2011 was 113),we know what he did for year, Minno has only one year (2013) with ave of >100,

Only 2 spots to fill for Ruck, like trying to pick a needle in a haystack as to who will be No.1 & 2, best off going for value early IMO and try to upgrade as form & team roles become more apparent, + magical cost per SC point drops away,

What's everyone else thinking?

At this stage (way too early) but I'm looking at Bigboy Wowee & Dixon as my ruck combo.

Is anyone else thinking of maybe going a Grundy/Longer combo? We know that Grundy is the number 1 ruck at the Pies, and it will likely be a Lynch/White type playing back up ruck man, so he'll get a lot of minutes in the middle. The number 1 ruck spot is open at the Saints and they must have chased Longer for a reason.

This strategy is risky, but as we have seen in the last few years, the Rucks of the competition aren't known for their consistency. With the exception of Cox, every year we seem to have different starting premiums based on the previous years results. And this combo does free up cash to use in other lines.

What are everyone's thoughts on this?

Is anyone else thinking of maybe going a Grundy/Longer combo? We know that Grundy is the number 1 ruck at the Pies, and it will likely be a Lynch/White type playing back up ruck man, so he'll get a lot of minutes in the middle. The number 1 ruck spot is open at the Saints and they must have chased Longer for a reason.

This strategy is risky, but as we have seen in the last few years, the Rucks of the competition aren't known for their consistency. With the exception of Cox, every year we seem to have different starting premiums based on the previous years results. And this combo does free up cash to use in other lines.

What are everyone's thoughts on this?

Thoughts are NO NO NO to longer or reg grundy

Going McIntosh and Sandilands.

No idea who the best 2 rucks will be so I'm going for value in the rucks with the idea of upgrading McIntosh and maybe Sandilands (injury permitting) to the best two rucks.

I think its the way to go so I can spend the money elsewhere and make all my other lines stronger. :thumbsu: :rainbow:

Sandilands is a lock at R2 for me, barring some catastrophe.

For R1, I'm considering Mumford. Giles is in the team, but I think he might be phased out, and Mumford is superior to Giles as a player. We've seen him able to get mammoth scores before, and in his new environment I think he could thrive.

Saints traded out Big Boy (trade wk 1 IIRC), before they even made a play for Longer, which became a bonus for us at the end (wk 3 IIRC),

Says to me, that they consider Hickey capable of taking No.1 mantle,

So you most likely will see Hickey as No.1 ruck to start the season, then it's up to form for both he & Longer,

I wouldn't think both will play 20+ games though FWIW

Saints traded out Big Boy (trade wk 1 IIRC), before they even made a play for Longer, which became a bonus for us at the end (wk 3 IIRC),

Says to me, that they consider Hickey capable of taking No.1 mantle,

So you most likely will see Hickey as No.1 ruck to start the season, then it's up to form for both he & Longer,

I wouldn't think both will play 20+ games though FWIW

What are your thoughts on Hickey Krk? I think he has potential to have a Big breakout year.

What are your thoughts on Hickey Krk? I think he has potential to have a Big breakout year.

As a supporter, he showed when he had good stints in the ruck, he performed well with taps & around ground, in fact, we even looked competitive at clearances when he was in the centre (when compared to Big Boy),

But for SC, I haven't considered him as he is unproven and even though I believe he will be considered No.1 ruck, still not sure how the Saints will actually use he, Longer & Stanley,

I like to stick to 'proven' players, apart from rookies, too hard to pick mid-pricers who will move to premo status IMO, although I tend to have 1-2 each year, :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Derickx would be #2 at Sydney? Who is #2 at the Dogs? Thinking if I went in with Minson/Pyke it would be good cover? Although it wouldnt really be a money making adventure there doesn't really seem a rookie ruck that will play a lot of time ATM.

*actually I cant even see anyone other than Minson in the rucks for the dawgs :confused:

So Derickx would be #2 at Sydney? Who is #2 at the Dogs? Thinking if I went in with Minson/Pyke it would be good cover? Although it wouldnt really be a money making adventure there doesn't really seem a rookie ruck that will play a lot of time ATM.

*actually I cant even see anyone other than Minson in the rucks for the dawgs :confused:

I think Campbell is no 2 at dogs, but cannot see anyone other than Will getting 90% of Game Time

Campbell seems to spend a lot of time up forward too. Whether that was because Liam Jones was out of the side late last year may be a factor but yeah, I think Wilbur will spend the majority of time there.

Like the OP, I'm having a serious think about Jacobs as well - even though I got burnt badly by him AND BigBoy last year.

Geez I miss the old set and forget days of Sandi/Cox.

Campbell seems to spend a lot of time up forward too. Whether that was because Liam Jones was out of the side late last year may be a factor but yeah, I think Wilbur will spend the majority of time there.

Like the OP, I'm having a serious think about Jacobs as well - even though I got burnt badly by him AND BigBoy last year.

Geez I miss the old set and forget days of Sandi/Cox.

Oh gawd, you can leave me out of Jacobs.

Thinking of Sandi/McIntosh but we'll monitor the preseason. Keen on Longer if neither pull through as I would like.
Way too risky going for those 2 as they are both likely to break down during the season so youll be wasting trades replacing them. Rucks should be a set and forget type option so get the best 2 options available even if your paying a premium as there will be plenty of value around in other positions. No reason why Minson cant back up last seasons effort given he is their only ruck and will do the bulk of the work so i will be definately getting him and will toss up between Cox and Goldy for the other ruck spot

Way too risky going for those 2 as they are both likely to break down during the season so youll be wasting trades replacing them. Rucks should be a set and forget type option so get the best 2 options available even if your paying a premium as there will be plenty of value around in other positions. No reason why Minson cant back up last seasons effort given he is their only ruck and will do the bulk of the work so i will be definately getting him and will toss up between Cox and Goldy for the other ruck spot

Why are rucks set and forget????:confused: ........I just dont get this mentality at all. If someone is playing badly or has scope to massively improve then you swap / change, no matter what position they play.
The set and forget "style" means you have less options elsewhere IMO

Something else that just occured to me is that people have Mac/Sandi as a way of spending money elsewhere right? So there will be two non playing (most likely) rookies on the bench so if Sandi falls down for 6 weeks in Round 3 where do you go? Who is at that price that you can replace? You would have to burn two trades and downgrade the awesome midfield that you had and go Murphy > Rookie and Sandi > Minson?

Something else that just occured to me is that people have Mac/Sandi as a way of spending money elsewhere right? So there will be two non playing (most likely) rookies on the bench so if Sandi falls down for 6 weeks in Round 3 where do you go? Who is at that price that you can replace? You would have to burn two trades and downgrade the awesome midfield that you had and go Murphy > Rookie and Sandi > Minson?

or have a link to Dixon or Hale as a fwd option. I Have seen teams with Longer as R3 (not for me but hey...WTF do I know)

IIRC 2013 winner had Cox & Blicavs as R1 & R2, o_O

Gingy did you still have that team snapshot?

The idea to start 'cheap' and build into value as leading Rucks become more apparent is worthwhile, :confused:

Perhaps, Dixon at R1 with rookie at R2, R/F DPP at F8 with view to upgrade and move Dixon to F5/6?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back